Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42

Author Topic: [Quickfort] 2.04 released -- now with minecart track support! [DF 0.34.10]  (Read 298753 times)

joelpt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Quickfort homepage

Quickfort 2.04

> Quickfort download & user manual
> Changelog
> Community submitted blueprints archive

> See what's new in Quickfort 2.04 (minecart tracks!)

Quickfort 2.x is a utility for Dwarf Fortress, built with Python and AutoHotKey, that helps you build fortresses from "blueprint" spreadsheet files (.CSV, .XLS, and .XLSX files supported). These files are easily created and edited in an app like Excel. Most building-oriented DF commands are supported through the use of multiple blueprints to describe the different phases of DF construction (designation, building, stockpiles, and making adjustments). These blueprints can also be repeated, rotated, and flipped on the fly. Support for on-the-fly build instructions and aliases also make Quickfort a useful general macroing tool.

Quickfort 2 works on Windows and Linux/OSX/(anything that runs Python). The Windows version includes a minimalist GUI. The command-line qfconvert utility can be used on any OS that runs Python to generate DF macros from blueprints.

Quickfort 2 has been tested on Dwarf Fortress versions v0.34.10, v0.31.25, and v0.28.181.40d14. DF macros are only supported in DF v0.31.25+.

Original idea and initial codebase from Valdemar's designator.ahk script.

Download the latest version of Quickfort here. AutoHotkey/Python need not be installed for Windows users. Non-Windows users need to have Python installed.

You can also download community submitted Quickfort blueprints.

With Quickfort, you can turn spreadsheet files like these

into something like this.

A brief video of Quickfort 2.00 in action versus Quickfort 1.11

FEATURES
  • Design complete blueprints in .CSV/.XLS/.XLSX files to handle 4 main phases of construction:
    designate, build, place stockpiles, query (set building tasks/prefs)
  • Intelligent designator minimizes keystrokes needed to designate blueprints
  • Multi-Z-level blueprints
  • Blueprint transformation (rotate, flip, repeat in up to 3 dimensions; search-and-replace)
  • Aliases to automate frequent DF command combos
  • Ability to specify building materials to be used (experimental, Windows only)
  • Ability to leave author's comments in blueprints (shown to blueprint user)
  • Minimalist (and optional) GUI for Windows
  • Simple "command line" entry mode in GUI
  • Win/Linux/OSX support via command line qfconvert utility (Python based)
  • DF macro- or keysending-based output methods supported
  • Assortment of sample blueprints included

Let me know what you think!

Also check out Quickfort-related tools.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:38:44 pm by joelpt »

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quickfort construction tool
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 05:37:46 am »

This looks amazing!  I'm so going to try this once I get home.
It's going to be so nice to just design and perfect a bunch of basic workshop configurations, saving a lot of time and effort setting up a new fort.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 05:42:19 am »

This has amazing potential, I wonder If it can be applied to constructing walls? Either way, I will definately test this

The only issue I can see is that because its written for AHK, it will be quite slow at designating in comparioson to other similar tools, the DTil digger for example. But because you can do a lot more with this program in comparison

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 09:22:50 am »

The far-right image, he's making bedrooms and increasing their size by 1, so I suspect it could be applied to walls.

bCwuuuu... ah, i see.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 11:21:31 am »

You have struck awesomeium! Praise joelpt!

I like idea of CVS stack or one CVS that can incorporate whole building process but I see problem when using it - each building phase must be completed before starting another one and this needs players input.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 11:38:18 am »

Perhaps the ability to load a single .CVS containing the entire blueprint, with a prompt between the various stages?
Is it possible to record a movie of the auto-designating in DF?  I've never fiddles with movies before so I wouldn't know, but it'd be great for showing of the program's capabilities.

Edit: It doesn't seem to work with 40d11, as I don't use a qwerty keyboard and 40d11 treats keypresses differently I think.  I'll try with the regular version of DF.
Edit 2: Bah, it doesn't work with the regular version either.  It gets the letters right, but the > and < symbols are in odd places so it misses those.  I'll try reassigning the keys in DF.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 12:34:05 pm by Rhodan »

joelpt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Quickfort homepage
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 01:58:59 pm »

@Rhodan - For an "embark workshops" example, check out the embarking-*.csv files in the Examples/General folder.

It should be working fine with 40d11 (it's what I used during development) but I'm sure it'll have problems if you use custom keybindings in DF, which if I read you correctly is your situation. Please let me know if (how) you get this resolved.

I'll make a short demo movie a bit later; I think I'll do it as a Youtube video instead of a DF movie since the construction has to happen in phases anyway.

@Hishan - Yes, it can do walls and such (Cw,Cw,Cw) - pretty much anything in the designate, build, place and query menus should work. Resizable stuff is also supported with a special sizing syntax: ga(2x4) for a drawbridge, for example, or f(10x10) for a food stockpile. You can even do stuff like "take from stockpile" with a bit of cleverness.

You are right, this will definitely be slower than the memory-based tools, though I've optimized away several classes of keystroke inefficiencies (e.g. "{Right}{Left}" becomes ""), which helps the playback speed dramatically.

@DennyTom/Rhodan - I am still considering the "all phases in one CSV" idea. The interface would probably be something like "choose CSV file", then repeated "select which phase to execute" prompts. The major argument in favor of separate files is that an "all in one" CSV could get very cluttered and hard to edit, with all that data packed into each cell. Having multiple CSVs also gives some advantages in editing, like being able to Ctrl-Tab through several open CSVs to visually compare placement of stuff.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 03:52:23 pm »

The issue is that I have a different keyboard, since I'm in Belgium.
Regular DF treats my keyboard strangely, it takes the letters in azerty mode, but reads symbols in qwerty mode.  So when I press 'a', I get an 'a' in the game, but to get an '<' in the game I have to press the button where '<' would be on a qwerty keyboard.
DF 40d11 treats my keyboard as being fully qwerty, so I have to press 'a' to get a 'q' and vice-versa.  This is not too hard as lots of games do that.

The problem is that Quickfort sends "You pressed button 'a'" to DF, resulting in a 'q' in version 40d11 and an 'a' in the regular version.
So the regular version would work, except that it still sends the wrong '<' symbol.

I managed to solve this by remapping the keys in DF itself so they are on the right spot, Quickfort works perfectly now.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 04:07:06 pm »

Huh. Looks very interesting. I'll have to give this a try at some point. Not in the next week, though, as I'll be off camping for the next 5 days.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 11:01:46 am »

who wants to be the first person to design an entire fortress and upload it.

quick quick. i wanna not have to tire myself with designing bedrooms for 120 dwarfs anymore.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Lesconrads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 12:26:50 pm »

Hmh :(... linux... pleeeeeeeeeeease :'(

Once more - a great tool designed that wants to lure me back to windows.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 01:43:46 pm »

Whoa...this is pretty amazing. Hats off, sir!  8)

Fermii

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am The Stig.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 05:51:47 pm »

I am in the process of parsing this, beds, doors and all. I should have it by Saturday.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 03:30:55 am »

Looks nice, I'm gonna try this out.  Too bad there's no way to specify floor tiles/colors.

joelpt:  what graphics set are you using?  And where can I get it?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 04:10:05 pm »

Looks like the Mayday Pack.

Anyway, this sounds like a great tool for designing large, spiral staircases (man I love those things). 

sun2design.com is safe for work, right?  I only ask because there have been utilities available on NSFW sites, like the site finder (at least that's what the wiki said about its site.  Took its word for it and was too paranoid to verify).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 04:15:04 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42