Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42

Author Topic: [Quickfort] 2.04 released -- now with minecart track support! [DF 0.34.10]  (Read 298715 times)

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
Re: Quickfort construction tool
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 05:18:33 pm »

Looks like the Mayday Pack.

Anyway, this sounds like a great tool for designing large, spiral staircases (man I love those things). 

sun2design.com is safe for work, right?  I only ask because there have been utilities available on NSFW sites, like the site finder (at least that's what the wiki said about its site.  Took its word for it and was too paranoid to verify).

Doesn't look like mine...Maybe it's time for an update.

If you click on the link, it immediately downloads the file, so no NSFW worries (at least, it does that for me on Firefox).

EDIT:  guess it IS mayday.  I was using v13, looks like they're up to 18.  Has anyone made any of these?  I'm thinking about the next fort and placing bedroom floors/workshop floors.  It would be nice not to have to do it myself.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 05:55:35 pm by Jhoosier »

joelpt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Quickfort homepage
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 10:09:40 pm »

sun2design.com is totally SFW.

The graphics set is from the Mayday pack from http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php. I then replaced the character set in Mayday with this one http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/images/3/3c/Belal_Smooth_Walls.png

joelpt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Quickfort homepage
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 10:22:47 pm »

Anyway, this sounds like a great tool for designing large, spiral staircases (man I love those things). 
Check out the screw pump tower examples. Should be doable with a multilevel blueprint and QF's repeat function.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 01:36:39 am »

Check out the screw pump tower examples. Should be doable with a multilevel blueprint and QF's repeat function.

Ah, so that's where the examples were hidden (in the actual quickfort folder, for the slow people like me).  Is there a file repository of other builds people have done?

joelpt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Quickfort homepage
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 02:16:05 am »

Not yet, but it's a good idea. Nobody has posted any blueprints for it yet.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 04:07:29 am »

Hmm, having a bit of trouble with the Quickfort tool, the shapes aren't working right in the digger (neither mine nor the examples).  Does it matter what the key bindings are?  I'm using the latest and greatest of Mayday's tileset, but I don't think the bindings are changed at all.

Belal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 01:17:22 pm »

sun2design.com is totally SFW.

The graphics set is from the Mayday pack from http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php. I then replaced the character set in Mayday with this one http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/images/3/3c/Belal_Smooth_Walls.png

I thought those walls looked familiar,  I don't know why you are getting lineup issues though on some of your walls, I thought I had all of them fixed, does it look like that in game as well?

Also nice job on the quickfort tool, I will definitely use it for my next fort, it sure beats coding auto hotkey rooms by hand, which is what I had been doing for my bedrooms!

joelpt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Quickfort homepage
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 03:20:24 pm »

Hmm, having a bit of trouble with the Quickfort tool, the shapes aren't working right in the digger (neither mine nor the examples).  Does it matter what the key bindings are?  I'm using the latest and greatest of Mayday's tileset, but I don't think the bindings are changed at all.
The key bindings should be at the DF defaults.

Can you describe what exactly isn't working right?

Try running the Examples/General/bedroom-dig.csv blueprint, then post the contents of the debug.txt from your Quickfort folder here.

joelpt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Quickfort homepage
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 03:23:56 pm »

I thought those walls looked familiar,  I don't know why you are getting lineup issues though on some of your walls, I thought I had all of them fixed, does it look like that in game as well?
Not sure what you're referring to with lineup issues. Can you be more specific?

The screenshots in the original post are in-game footage.

Loving the tileset BTW.

EDIT: I think I know what you are referring to. I had my ingame resolution set at 1264px wide, with a 79 wide GRID. What I didn't realize is that DF enforces an 80 wide minimum for GRID. Consequently the 16px-wide tiles were getting scaled down.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 03:55:03 pm by joelpt »

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 04:04:56 pm »

Someone wanted a video of it in action; here you go. I haven't bothered explaining how to use it, cos the readme does all that for you. Here are the steps I used to create it, anyway:

1) Make a csv file following the instructions in the readme. It has a #dig in the first line and a ton of "d"s all over the place.
2) Run Quickfort.
3) Follow the instructions in the tooltip that appears on my mouse.

That's it!

Couple of bugs or suggestions for improvement, though - running the game in windowed mode, the tooltip doesn't display very well. It flickers like a mofo and disappears if you leave the mouse still.

Also the tooltip seems to vanish completely once you've finished executing a script. Quickfort's still open and still works fine, but the tooltip with the instructions has vanished.

Other than that, HOLY CHRIST THIS IS THE BEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO THIS GAME.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 04:09:03 pm by Xinael »

joelpt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Quickfort homepage
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 04:19:56 pm »

Someone wanted a video of it in action; here you go. I haven't bothered explaining how to use it, cos the readme does all that for you. Here are the steps I used to create it, anyway:
Nice :) Thanks for doing that.

Note I'm the creator (joelpt) rather than Jhoosier (according to the video's description). I think you probably got Jhoosier because the forum link in the video's description goes to the second page of this thread.

Couple of bugs or suggestions for improvement, though - running the game in windowed mode, the tooltip doesn't display very well. It flickers like a mofo and disappears if you leave the mouse still.
Interesting. I'd had a similar problem during initial coding but had accommodated for that. The tooltip doesn't flicker here.

If the tip is above a window other than the DF window, does it still flicker?

Also the tooltip seems to vanish completely once you've finished executing a script. Quickfort's still open and still works fine, but the tooltip with the instructions has vanished.
Yeah that was kind of by design - I figured you don't necessarily want the tooltip showing all the time "in between" QF runs. Instead I put some instructions in the "run completed" popup box.

Perhaps a better approach would be to have a "toggle tooltip visibility" hotkey.

Other than that, HOLY CHRIST THIS IS THE BEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO THIS GAME.
8)

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 04:26:22 pm »

So then I guess the next thing to do is to create a repository of shapes like:
- All of the odd-sized circles starting at about diameter 9
- All of the big fractal bedroom complexes
- Some compact industry pods to allow you to "tack on" a clothing/glassworking/food/metal industry with a few keystrokes (think of an RTS: when you want a barracks you hit the "b" key for build and then "b" for barracks, and poof!)
- Some egregiously complex noble housing
- Dining rooms, dining rooms, dining rooms
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 04:26:34 pm »

I fixed that problem with the description before I published it, but youtube takes its sweet time getting updates down the pipe :(
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 04:28:42 pm by Xinael »

joelpt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Quickfort homepage
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2009, 04:27:37 pm »

I fixed that problem with the description before I published it, but youtube takes its sweet time getting updates down the pipe :(
Haha :)

I linked to the video in the original post on this thread.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2009, 04:31:03 pm »

If the tip is above a window other than the DF window, does it still flicker?
Nope, not even other stuff using the overlay like windows media player.

I'm still using 40d though, so perhaps some of the updated display code in 40d11 fixes this issue? I'll download it and have a go :)

EDIT: No dice on 40d11 fixing it. I'm using a Geforce 9800GT with the latest drivers and WinXP if that makes any difference.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 04:39:43 pm by Xinael »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42