Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 42

Author Topic: [Quickfort] 2.04 released -- now with minecart track support! [DF 0.34.10]  (Read 298756 times)

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quickfort construction tool
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2009, 04:35:21 pm »

One request for an additional feature, too - being able to assign a start point in the file. The % character or something. You'd just need to add commands to get from the % to your corner of choice before you started printing.

I say this because for designs like the one in the film, you want to start with the cursor in the centre rather than a corner (trying to line it up with a set of stairs you've dug down would be a bit of a chore, otherwise).

joelpt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Quickfort homepage
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2009, 04:47:11 pm »

Quote from: Xinael
I'm using a Geforce 9800GT with the latest drivers and WinXP if that makes any difference.
I'll try running it on my girlfriend's XP box later which has an 8800GT in it.

One request for an additional feature, too - being able to assign a start point in the file. The % character or something. You'd just need to add commands to get from the % to your corner of choice before you started printing.

I say this because for designs like the one in the film, you want to start with the cursor in the centre rather than a corner (trying to line it up with a set of stairs you've dug down would be a bit of a chore, otherwise).
Good idea. Look for it in the next version.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 05:52:29 pm »

Okay.  Gonna try this.  I have to say, getting large areas planned out at the beginning tend to be what discourage me early on in a lot of forts, so I think this will be very helpful.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 08:01:03 pm »

Someone wanted a video of it in action; here you go. I haven't bothered explaining how to use it, cos the readme does all that for you. Here are the steps I used to create it, anyway:
Nice :) Thanks for doing that.

Note I'm the creator (joelpt) rather than Jhoosier (according to the video's description). I think you probably got Jhoosier because the forum link in the video's description goes to the second page of this thread.

Yeah, don't give me credit for anything, I just post here.

Here's the debug of the bedroom-dig you asked for:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Incidently, I downloaded a fresh copy of DF, and the csv I made myself worked fine.  But trying it on v13 and v18 of the Mayday pack doesn't work at all.  It kinda looks like when your printer jams and it prints a whole page on 3 lines.  I tried changing the key bindings back to the default (the only changed ones were z-level changes from <> in default to /* in one set or home/end on another - but there's no reason that should affect a 1-level plan like the bedroom example or my plan.  Hope the debug helps!  Please let me know what's wrong, I'm rather useless at programming.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2009, 08:14:33 pm »

Here are some files I've made with this; I was bored with revision :P

Example from the video:

A proper version of the above, with 3 sets of stairs in the middle

Placing doors and beds in the above (untested):

A noble room design I like, found here

Left the furniture out cos I like to place that manually so it's good-quality.

These prove just how GODDAMN AWESOME this thing is. In DF it'd take about 5-10 minutes to get any one of these laid down. Making the noble file from scratch took less time than that cos I copied and pasted the two shapes over and over, and now I'll have to spend about 10 seconds to lay down any of these patterns in the future.

And this stuff is SMALL FRY compared to what this tool is capable of. 25-storey glass execution tower with a pit underneath in a few easy button presses? Yes, please!

All hail joelpt!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 08:21:25 pm by Xinael »

joelpt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Quickfort homepage
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2009, 08:23:42 pm »

Here are some files I've made with this; I was bored with revision :P
Try putting your example within [ code ] and [ /code ] tags (minus the spaces):

Code: [Select]
#dig
d,d,d
d,i,d
d,d,d

Makes em a little more 'readable'.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2009, 08:31:22 pm »

Here's the Mario dining hall I made earlier: 
At least, I think it is, since I haven't really gotten to test it.  The overalls are dug out ramps below, meant to be made into a pond.  Up to you to figure out the plumbing.

I should start working on some of those fractal bedroom designs from the wiki.

Try putting your example within [ code ] and [ /code ] tags (minus the spaces):

Code: [Select]
#dig
d,d,d
d,i,d
d,d,d

Makes em a little more 'readable'.

But to made all of the spaces, it's necessary to have the commas, no?  If there were an easy way to upload the spreadsheet version, it would be easier on the eyes.  Until then, I guess we're just going to have to post grids or screenshots of the plans.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 08:37:58 pm by Jhoosier »

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2009, 08:34:59 pm »

Try putting your example within [ code ] and [ /code ] tags... makes em a little more 'readable'.
Not really; I tried that first, but rows with empty cells go all out of alignment anyway. It looks just as jumbled inside code as inside spoiler, and I decided I'd rather take up less vertical space ;)

The only way to see what they really look like, outside the game, is to paste them into a text file, save it as .csv, and open it using your favourite spreadsheet viewer.

lstutzman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2009, 08:36:40 pm »

I'm having the exact issue that Jhoosier is - Native 40d from Toady - QF works no problem - but when trying to use with the MayDay pack the script seems to compress into a couple of lines - not at all what we want.

I am using beyond compare to diff the mayday and native folder to try and puzzle out the difference - no luck yet.

Awesome tool, if I have to use it from native and then switch back to mayday I will.

BTW - I take it you're linking the AHK source in??

UPDATE: I used the native Init file with the native tileset - still not right at all, but definitely different results. Very mysterious
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 08:50:44 pm by lstutzman »

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2009, 08:47:06 pm »

I'd guess that it's some disparity in the init file - try comparing those specifically. I use Mayday 40d with KEY_HOLD_MS of 150 it works like a charm for me. Have you tried playing with that value?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2009, 08:53:25 pm »

But to made all of the spaces, it's necessary to have the commas, no?  If there were an easy way to upload the spreadsheet version, it would be easier on the eyes.  Until then, I guess we're just going to have to post grids or screenshots of the plans.
I think he means spaces made by hitting the space bar.  Either way, the code tags are a forum thing.  They line up all the letters and punctuation onto a grid so that it looks like those characters would in an ASCII art game.  They also make it easier to select and copy the text.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

lstutzman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2009, 08:55:17 pm »

Yep - using MayDay 40d18 - newest with Key hold of 150 Ms - still no dice. I'm not giving up yet though.

joelpt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Quickfort homepage
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2009, 08:55:48 pm »

BTW - I take it you're linking the AHK source in??
Yep. Though the quickfort.ahk source file is included.

lstutzman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2009, 09:03:03 pm »

BTW - I got exactly the same Debug.txt results between native DF that worked fine, and the MayDay version that didn't - so you're code (obviously) isn't the issue. Damn those pretty graphics  ;D

joelpt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Quickfort homepage
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2009, 09:05:54 pm »

Regarding the key-sending problems:

It sounds like the down and/or left keys that QF is sending are somehow getting missed/ignored by DF. Looking at the debug.txt posted, the series of keystrokes that it meant to send is correct.

Could somebody post the direct URL to one of the "problem" DF packages that is not working right with QF?

I've got a few ideas of things to try, if I can reproduce the problem here.

Please try increasing DelayMultipler in QF's options.txt and see if you get any different results. Also try setting DisableKeyOptimizations = 1.

If you've got AHK installed, you might also try modifying quickfort.ahk, line 911, from

SetKeyDelay, KeyDelay   

to

SetKeyDelay, KeyDelay, 50

That'll cause it to hold the keys down for 50ms before releasing. Might help.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 09:07:57 pm by joelpt »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 42