Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You ideal fort design?  (Read 1652 times)

Legislature

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You ideal fort design?
« on: May 21, 2009, 10:01:19 pm »

What are your ideal fort designs? I don't plan on posting myself, as I'm not really sure for me. I've only played Dwarf Fortress for a few days so not much here. All I use is blocks and several layers without really planning things out. I'm trying to figure out ways to kill various blocks of annoying stone.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
Re: You ideal fort design?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 01:47:22 am »

I use a strategy of the ant colony, I build as I need. I don't have any super efficient methods, as I find them terribly undwarvenly. And I make sure to endanger dwarves regularly.

Frogeyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 02:29:18 am »

I like to divide my fortress into distinct clusters of rooms, each dedicated to a certain industry. The metalworking industry, for example, would have its own part of the fortress, with smelters, forges, and stockpiles for wood, flux stone, and metal bars. The meat industry would have another area, with a butchershop, tanner's workshop, craftsdwarf's workshop for bone items, and all the relevant stockpiles.

This has a significant impact on the layout of my fortress. I like to have a spacious, sprawling fortress, with wide hallways, large room, and large amounts of stone seperating these clustersI like to have a complex, irregular, labyrinthian fortress, to make things interesting in adventure mode, but in such a way that related areas are connected (ie, hallways linking my farming area, meat area, and fish cleaners' to one large food stockpile near a main dining hall).

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 02:31:51 am »

User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 03:34:49 am »

I work off a system of 7X7 rooms with two doorways in each wall, no hallways. It's efficient, because I can easily tesselate in 3X3 or 1X3 bedrooms or dig out 15X15 or even larger storage rooms, and continuous open space via the lined-up doorways allows for convenient endergrounds exploration.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 04:02:57 am »

I usually give each workshop its own storage area.  Usually a 3X6 area if its something like a carpenter's shop, or a mason's workshop.  and a 3x4 area if the shop can stacks its resources, like a jewler's shop.

If i have a magma pipe, or a magma pool, i'll channel out an area, place a fortification inside, and then place all my smelters, and forges along with this channel, with a large area mined out to store all of the ore and bars. If there's not, i'll still mine out a large area, but use this to store wood, which is made into coal, which is stored next to the ore, and then both are used inside of a smelter.  The bars have their own stockpile, and coal is then used in combination with bars to produce goods.

For the stockpile, there is usually a large stock pile for all ore, with smaller seperate stockpiles for say, copper (or malachite, which is the same thing) and cassiterite for bronze making,  or a seperate stock pile for gold. Teh large one will hold anything else.

AS for the food industry, it should be located by the farm area, but with each workshop separated much like a the crafting shops. I will place the stockpile for all dwarven seeds by the farms, since dwarves never carry more than one seed for planting.  A large stock pile, say 11x11 will contain any excess food your dwarves may have at any given time, as well as an extra area simply for extra barrels.  The smaller stockpiles with the shops are used to contain only what the shop needs, and minimize walking distance.

As for my Depot, I move that indoors as soon as possible, usually behind a long tunnel with at least one 90 degree bend.  This will prevent any enemy from shooting down the hallway, and hitting the traders as they sit at the trade depot.   At the 90 degree bend, i will station a balista unit. so it can fire out in the outside.   if there's another bend, i'll station another, but only if the tunnel itself is more than 150 tiles.  Anything else is simply a waste, because the ballista crewmen will immediately run as soon as the enemy rounds the corner.

The dining area is massive, enough for several dozen dwarfs, with statues lining the wall.  If i have enough zoo animals, i'll place a caged animal in between each row of tables.  As for the size of the room, it depends on the material its in.  Rooms made out of soil can't be smoothed, so they need to be made larger, quicker. For these rooms, i usually make them 13 spaces wide by 20 long at first:  1 space along each wall, (2 total) a walking space (2 for each statue) and two sets of tables (1 chair, table table, chair, walking space (or space for animals), chair table, table, chair), a total of 9 spaces, all of which add up to 13  There will be two or 3 entrance doors, one for each walkway.  Prepared food will be in its own stockpile, along with booze.  Usually there's an extra 13x2 space dug out at the bottom, just for the food and drink.  This room will also function as my meeting hall.

There's also a public tomb, usually 3x5 or so at the beginning, where i can put coffins on wither side of a walkway.

after i've gotten a few veins mined out and my blacksmiths get to work, i'll get about mining out rooms.  a common sleeping area, usually following the "3 by X" rule, is still used for any immigrants that pop in.  Personal rooms are 3X4, and consist of a bed, coffer (or chest  as its known, but only if its made out of something other than stone) door, table chair, armor rack and weapon rack (through these are for decoration only)

As for the general layout, the noise from the workshops will create an unhappy thought, so i make the barracks and offices 4 levels below the work shop area.  The work area's are either placed directly above, or close to the depot itself, so you can transport more wares to said depot during the time limit, or there is a large warehouse area located next to the depot itself.  you'll still need a large amount of dwarves set only to haul for this to work, (about 10 or so.)  depending on how far it is. ) as dwarves have a tendency to do everything under the sun before they do what the NEED to be doing.

There will be a large refuse stockpile (well, small when the game begins) located in the rough center around my fortress. this way, dwarves can dump whatever they need to quickly.

my barracks is an 11x11 (you can use the shift key to quickly make a room like this.  it skips ahead 10 tiles as you're selecting the dig area. and right by the depot.  any enemy comes in, and they can quickly head to the bend in the entrance hallway.  They can quickly ambush anyone who comes along, and arrow goblins and marksmen cant' get a good shot until my champions are right on them.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 10:57:18 am »

My ideal fort is massive, sprawling, built into a mountain and extending far in the earth, full of abandoned areas that nobody uses anymore and extremely labyrinthine. Also, there should be large keeps and towers built aboveground so it's clearly visible across the landscape. A volcano or bottomless pit at the center is a big bonus. In either case, the shaft should be full of balconies, walkways and turrets accessible to dwarves.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 01:54:31 pm »

Well, I never ever had any "nice looking" fortresses to be honest, because I don't really care about design. All I care about is efficiency.   ;)

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 04:19:20 pm »

I'm currently trying to build a really tiny fort (15 dwarves in production, 20-30 military). I'm stuck.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 05:56:06 pm »

My ideal fort design is a series of overlapping octahedrons, with the workshops and stockpiles arranged so that each industry flows into the next. My actual fort design is nonexistent, although the phrase 'packrat student hobbit' would describe it pretty well.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 06:39:33 pm »

My ideal fort design is a fortress built into a megaproject. I don't care how, those dwarves had better be living in that massive tower, or that pyramid, or that magma bunker.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 10:21:38 pm »

I have a strange mix of OCD and extreme focus, with getting bored of things working perfectly, and my forts get more organised as they go deeper.

The first sub-surface level is the workshop and farming level, so that's just a few huge rooms off the main corridor, packed with workshops and stockpiles and farms. Disorganised as hell, expanded as needed, cluttered to boot.
Below that is the bedrooms, with multiple types and densities of housing, from the planned, elaborate early ones, to the 'get this shit dug now' high-density housing that comes from immigrant waves. Inconsistent, sprawling, and with hacked-in patches for pathing issues.
Down from there is generally noble quarters (deathtraps), and any drainage or extra storage.
Below that, exploratory mining.

The surface is varied. It starts off nice and neat and tidy, with just the trade depot and the walls, a farm, and maybe a road or two to keep trees off. Later on, as things get added, it gets cluttered. Drowning mechanisms, storage tanks, mounds of rotting corpses, additional earthworks, moats, and so forth.
My last fort ended up with me replacing most of the soil layer in the hill I'd picked as my entrance with constructed walls, a wind-powered elf drowner in the middle, curtain walls around the entrance, the sides full of siege engines behind fortifications, and a huge water-powered system for obsidian farming and spraying magma all over the map at the back, with the rear of the fort enclosed with the runoff from the obsidian mine to stop the rear-defense magma moat from being flooded with water. And I managed to empty a murky pool, enlarge it, roof it over, and fill it with lava.
The courtyard was dominated by a bright red cinnabar road, walled off with stone, and most of the space taken up by a farm, corpse stockpiles, and systems to stop a malfunction of the caravan drowner drowning the fort, or worse still, washing the contents of the dump pile away.
The layer above all that was totally walled off, trimmed with cave-ins, and absolutely covered with constructed holding tanks and magmaducts for the fire hose system.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 11:23:37 pm »

I tend to make forts that are super realistic: i don't ever have large unsupported spaces. That dictates a fair bit of my design.
Magma is overrated.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 12:37:02 am »

I don't really have an 'ideal' fort design yet...my digging style is still evolving. But I've decided that I really, really like having a large central column that contains ramps to traverse z-levels. My current fort is going to have that column poking out of a mountainside. I'm thinking of having long-ish corridors poking off of the underground parts leading to workshop areas and whatnot, never having two areas directly adjacent vertically.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Legislature

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 10:10:45 am »

Hm, this is all really interesting and even gives me some ideas. xD Too bad I'm too far down into my fortress to implement any of them.