Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I like to write  (Read 1406 times)

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I like to write
« on: May 23, 2009, 06:41:08 am »

I wrote this short story for a class. Would appreciate your opinions and comments and definitely anything that needs to be changed for Draft 2.

linky
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
Re: I like to write
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 11:17:06 am »

Just took a quick look. I'll likely have some criticism for you by the end of the day, but I'd like to go over it with a magnifying glass before I post anything.  :)
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 10:13:08 pm »

Okay, I've gotten some of it done. This was actually pretty well written. I'd  argue against some (not necessarily all) of the ambiguity present within, but mostly it just needs tweaking.

The sky was black. The air was cold. There were no stars that night. The secret to staying sane was keeping the eyes open. A man who closed his eyes might notice that there wasn’t much difference.

The line, “The sky was black.” Gives pretty much the same info as “There were no stars that night.” I’d eliminate one or the other. IIRC, it’s actually easier to see stars in northern latitudes, and at sea, because there’s less light pollution from land. You might want to note if the lack of stars is due to something mundane (like cloud cover) or sinister (um…evil cloud cover?)

Trault had been told this once. The old man had whispered it to him during one of their longer runs. Tonight would be the longest and greatest of them all. The ship groaned and creaked underneath him as he strained to keep his eyes open for ice.

Ice was important.  The more he saw of it, the closer they were. The closer they were, the sooner he’d find out. Find out all of it. What was so special about this hunk of frosted water? They'd tell him what the big black book was, and why they had so many blood drives.

It’s tricky to write stories where you don’t want to reveal everything to the reader all at once. I get that you’re going for a bit of mystery, which is fine, and that your main character probably doesn’t even know perfectly what is going on at first, but let your audience know what he does know. Why would this be the “longest and greatest of them all”, and who is the “old man”, find out what? If your main character knows any of this it would be helpful to impart it to your reader.

It wasn't just that, either; they said learning was like chess, and just finding what this was all about would give him six extra rooks. He'd know why the sun burned, and why the ground was dirty, and what made water flow.

Not exactly clear. What do you mean by “why the ground was dirty, and what made water flow”? It would also help to find out who “they” were. Again, if the character doesn’t know much, that’s fine, but let your readers in on how much he does know.

The way his mind was going, the time went by much faster.

I’d rephrase this. Think about how somebody might interpret the statement that a character’s “mind is going”. I’m guessing you meant something like his mind was “racing” or something similar. But this could also be interpreted as meaning that they’re going crazy, which would be supported by earlier text. Note that 9 times out of 10 a savvy reader can pick up what you really mean, but the less ambiguous you are, the better.

“The time went by much faster” implies that time went by faster for this duration than during some other event. That is to say that it begs for a comparison. I’d just drop it down to something like “the time went by quickly.”, or possibly “the time just sailed by”. The latter avoids the use of an adverb and keeps with the nautical theme. Of course, “sailed” is a pretty relaxed word, and as you’re going for tension it might not work here. Just an idea.

It would've zoomed by if it weren't for the fatigue and the darkness, and the constant need to wipe the frozen crust away from his face. It wasn't long before he was stepping off the boat with the rest of his hooded comrades.

Nitpick: I’m not sure how darkness makes time pass by more slowly.
Note that when you say “comrades” you imply a level of familiarity and friendship between your character and these other people. Do these exist? Later on we are not given a sense that he really knows anyone there very well. Might be a better word here.

The others had been here first, long ago and every year since. The trail had already been blazed. Literally; they'd melted a five yard wide strip into indescribable smoothness, then tiny grooves had been added for traction, and miniscule lamps placed below to light the way, giving it an eerie luminescence.

The use of “others” implies a tie between your character and these people. Again, if he knows who they are, let your reader know. If he’s close to them in some way, show us how.

I’d ditch “indescribable smoothness” largely because indescribable is a tricky word to use, particularly in a description. Since your character is on an iceberg, it also doesn’t seem born out by the example. I think many people can understand how smooth ice can be, possibly not in such great quantities or in such a shape, but I’d say that “indescribable” is hyperbolic.

It was perfect. Trault didn't slip once. None of them did. There was only the clicking of their boots against the glassy path. Once they were out of sight of the ship, they turned a corner, and he got his first glimpse of their new home.

The phrase, “It was perfect”, is vague. This could refer to the structure of the place, the beauty of it, or just Trault’s feelings on the situation. A proper noun would help here. I’d suggest rewriting the last sentence either by changing “he” to “Trault” or by leaving the “they” as the subject of the sentence.

It was the strangest thing he’d ever seen. He could only glimpse it. As a child, he’d played games in the dark with his friends, the flashlights darting back and forth, chasing and fleeing the others. Sometimes the theme was cowboys and Indians, other days it’d be Viets and ‘Mericans, and so half the kids playing Viets would have to squint their eyes. That was what this was like; he could open his eyes as wide as he liked and he knew he could shine all the lights in the world, but the thing still wouldn’t be any easier to see than a kid in a bush in the dark through a squint with a half-dead flashlight. It managed to be hidden without hiding.

This is a really strong passage. It can be easy to forget that we sometimes need to let the reader in on character’s thoughts, and you just developed your protagonist loads by doing this.

Couple of caveats though; first I’d note what the “thing” here is. Just in a word or two. You can save the next paragraph to describe it in greater detail.
Second, since you describe a tower, make sure to note that the area opens up a bit. I was still imagining a tunnel and had to sort of rewind and rethink the environment in which I was picturing this.

What he could see, from glimpses, was that it was a tower carved from ice. It was exquisitely carved, with spirals and whirls and spikes and faces and runic symbols of old.

It sounds like this really makes an impression on your character. I’d add a little more. You could mention what the faces looked like, if any of the symbols seemed familiar, or, if none did, what they might look like to the untrained eye.

He knew what was important though, so he didn’t break rank. That would be very bad. Once, back when he was just starting, he’d asked what would happen if he tripped. The father there had said “Only what happened to Chris March.” He’d asked who Chris March was and the father just smiled and nodded.

Once more a little less ambiguity would help. My assumption is that the “father” is a religious figure. If this is true you can let your reader in on this just by adding a short description or action that implies as much, such as the father removing or putting on some amulet or vestment. It would also help to know what Trault was “just starting”, or at least to change the phrasing here. “Just starting” sounds like what a trainee might say of a new job, and almost gives a sense that this character being employed in some way.

...more to follow tomorrow...

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 12:11:02 pm »

...and a little more...

He passed through the open doors and wondered how they got the inside to be so much smaller than the outside even though he’d seen that the walls weren’t that thick. There was a side-path here, and two men would let a handful past, and then grab the next one and send him down the side path.

Set the stage a little better than just “here”. That is, “there was a side path here” is vague because there isn’t really much to go on in terms of surroundings.

One distinction that might seem minor but is important: I’d rewrite “the open doors” as “a set of open doors.”. Use of “the” in reference to something indicates previous experience with that something; either because the character is familiar with that thing, or because that thing has been previously described. The area seems new to Trault, so he mustn’t be familiar with it, and the doors were not mentioned previously. Basically they need to be included in a previous description, or the wording here needs to be changed.

Be a little more specific than “two men”. If they were acting in some official capacity (such as guards, or screeners) and/or as representatives of this shadowy group, it would help to remark on it.

Trault didn’t know where that led. Of course, he didn’t know where this way went either. A thought flickered into his head: It looks the same whether you’re skimming off the cream or cutting away the bits that’ve gone bad.

Nice analogy.

He didn’t get picked, so he hoped he wasn’t in a cream factory.

This just feels awkward and a bit forced. I’d let that analogy go in the previous line. You don't need this one.

Up ahead, the hallway opened and he found himself in a dormitory of sorts. The of sorts was necessary because it didn’t include beds so much as just shelves.

If you want to keep the second sentence as is, put quotation marks around the second instance of “of sorts”. I’d argue that you could just rewrite this as “The hallway opened up ahead, and he found himself in a dormitory of sorts: the beds barely more than shelves.”, or something similar.

His thick robe would keep him warm enough and provide all the softness he was supposed to have. If he ached in the morning it would only be a sign of his devotion. Everyone else was filling into bunks, so he did likewise. It would not pay to stand out.

This is a bit tricky. How much softness is someone supposed to have? Might be more accurate to say all the softness he was “allowed” to have. Actually, I’d suggest that “comfort” would be a better word than “softness” here.

For three weeks he lived there, and this is what he more or less did:

This could use a rewrite. The second half of the sentence might work better as something like “with a daily routine that changed very little.” Note that a phrase like “more or less” makes it feel as if you are withholding information from your readers.

Which I know from personal experience because I have a bad tendency to speak in non-concrete terms.  :)

In the mornings he would go down to the bookery and work wrinkling and yellowing the fresh tomes. He'd gotten really good at taking a stack of brand new books and turning them into dark volumes from ages past.

Why was this odd behavior done? If he knows, please let us in. If he doesn’t know why they would do this, then mention that he doesn’t know.

Also, I don't think I've ever heard the word "bookery", and I feel like you might want to go with a more ordinary description like "book workshop" or "library."

At noon he'd stop and eat his lunch, and by then the fishing teams would return and the rest of the day would be spent in the kitchens. He didn't much like working in the kitchens because there was something wrong about hacking something to pieces, even if it didn't breathe air or have a face and had entirely too many tentacles (in his experience: any tentacles whatsoever).

The last line is funny, but I’m not sure it fits with the tone you’ve built to this point. Just something to think about.

Then one day the tally-marks he'd been making on the wall (He'd intended to scratch them in, but the wall proved tougher so it was less a scratch and more a line of broken fingernail bits) added up and he knew it was The Big Day.

Ah, but what is “The Big Day”? Again, let us in on what the character knows. If he knows little or nothing, we need to know that too.

In single file, they were lead into a room like a theatre; that is to say, designed around the concept that everyone would be very interested in one point at the middle. The point of interest was a raised black platform, shaped like a star. He couldn't count the points, no matter how hard he tried. He kept losing track at “more than none.”

First sentence is kind of awkward. I’d chop it down to (abridged) “…like a theatre; with rows of seats (benches?) in a semicircle around one central point; a black platform shaped like a star.”

If you want to keep humor in here I’d argue that it needs a stronger presence in the earlier portion of the story.

Once they were all seated, their leader walked into the center of the room and gestured towards the doors. The doors, in response, weren’t. Suddenly there were only walls.

Definitely give this leader a name, or, if you want to keep him a bit distant and mysterious, at least a title. If your character has spent time here and can recognize this person as the leader, he must have some knowledge of what said leader is called.

The description of the doors disappearing is awkward. I’d just cut it to something simple like “They disappeared leaving only smooth walls.”

The midmost acolytes began to chant.

“Midmost” is vague. The middle third? Maybe just a single line of the audience, top to bottom, in the center? A three acolytes in the exact center of the room or seating area? Get a little more specific.

The head cultist produced a box of matches, and then struck one, and tossed it into the star. For a moment, there was nothing, and then the star started to melt. Only not.

That last line would work better as “…then the star appeared to melt.” Note, too that the “only not” at the end of this paragraph is contradicted by the first line in the next one and makes it hard to understand what you were going for.

...and more to follow later...

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 09:28:33 pm »

...and I'm done...

The black started to melt into the ice.

This line is redundant because of the earlier line “…the star started to melt.”. I’d get rid of this one.

The wave spread slowly, elegantly,

Hmmm, not sure that I like “elegantly” here. The word “elegant” can be taken to mean intricately and with grace, particularly grace of movement, but it also has connotations of beauty and, occasionally, wealth. Look around for a few synonyms, there might be something better here.

You might not need this advice but before you use an adverb, consider if there might be an alternate way to express that adverb’s meaning. It’s often better to describe an action with a verb that conveys not only the action carried out, but the way in which said action occurs.  In this example “…spread slowly” could be condensed into “crept”, a word that indicates not only movement, but slow movement specifically. A long, well-paced sentence can, at times, also create a sense of slow, steady duration if artfully arranged, relevant and thoughtfully worded. (Okay, maybe that wasn't the most eloquent sentence in the world, but didn’t it seem to go on forever?)

as the intricate spiraling designs began to fill. For the first time, the designs were not ice-on-ice,

Careful with the wording here. “For the first time” suggests a multitude of times in the past, and my impression so far is that your character has never seen this. I’m guessing you meant that they changed/shifted from ice carvings into something else.

and, for the brief period of time before they became completely black-on-black, they were clearly visible.

This is an example of where you can give a sense of duration through sentence length. The phrase “…the brief period of time…” doesn’t feel brief. Something like “the moment” or “the second” conveys a fleeting instant more accurately.

Some of them were simple; people, animals. Others were more complex, or more unusual; dragons, mer-people, a diamond in a snowstorm. Others were… others hurt to look at.

I’d ditch the “Others were…”. Feels like a verbal speed bump in that the meaning of the sentence is carried entirely by the rest of it.

If accurate descriptions were restraints, then those drawings would’ve been a puddle of greased oil with a genius for lockpicking.

The description feels a bit humorous in tone and a little out of place. Actually I’d look for another analogy, this one is kinda iffy, and definitely hyperbolic. Bring it down a notch. Something like “…those drawings would’ve been Harry Houdini.” (or insert own famous escape artist or criminal mastermind.) gets the same point across in fewer words.

The acolyte beside him screamed, and fell off his seat, gibbering and frothing all the way down.

Nitpick: You can lose the comma between “screamed” and “and”. Basically if a pair of actions are closely related, happen in a relatively short time, or can be combined, it’s fine to describe them together. Feels more natural to me that the screaming and falling would happen together, and the comma makes it seems that they happened in order.

When his face touched the floor, he stopped. Several others did the same; no one moved to help them. Trault wondered at the cruelty for a moment, and then noticed his feet were stuck to the floor. It reminded him of the time he’d broken into a movie theatre and discovered what happens to a floor after a few decades of spilled soda. 

I think you’d get more mileage out of “When his face hit the floor” if you really want to drive home the bloody horror of the event.

I really like the theater floor description but, again, I think you need to establish humor early on if you want to keep that very mild comical tone.

You seem to have a good grasp of your character’s mind. It can be hard to come up with bits of memory or those flittering thoughts we all encounter throughout the day, and it looks like you’re not struggling in that area. Nice job.

His last thought before the darkness closed in completely was that it wasn’t quite complete; he thought he could see tiny flecks of color. It was his last thought for a long time.

You’re going to need to be more specific than “it” in that first sentence. An attentive reader will understand that you mean the drawings, but you could mean just about anything and it would better to go into detail. Speaking of detail, tell us about what colors he’s seeing. Mundane ones, or maybe some unearthly shades?

When they found him, he was, technically, a vegetable. He was kept on life support long after it became clear he wasn’t going to recover.

This was because he was an interesting vegetable; the human equivalent of those potatoes that look like the Mona Lisa. He was odd in two aspects, one of which interested the public and one of which interested the scientists.

Gonna need a bit more info. When who found him? What kind of scientists were interested in him?

Note that your comparison of Trault to an interesting potato could be taken to mean severe deformity to the point that he is barely recognizable as human. I’d rephrase that. My guess is that you were just trying to imply that he was a curiosity, something mildly interesting.

First, his eyes were deformed. The irises were completely gone and the pupils had expanded to entirely fill the available space. This gave him a distinctive look, which was instrumental to his survival, under law 9325 of human nature: it will remain popular longer if it can easily be made into an internet avatar, bumper sticker, T-shirt, and refrigerator magnet.

Same note as earlier about the tone.

What the doctors considered interesting was that, unlike many of the comatose, he was always repeating the same thought. Lack of thought is common, and being completely unable to move but still conscious is not unheard of. Yet, in the quiet of his head, this one always just repeated “Oh, yes, fascinating, do go on.”

How are they hearing his thoughts? Easy fix here would be to say that he is muttering his phrase over and over.

And that's all I got. This was written better than a good many of the stories I saw in my last fiction class. In a nutshell I'd do two things;

1: Let the audience in on what Trault really knows about his situation.
2: Either introduce the funny earlier or scrap it entirely.
3: Eat the nut and try and dig my way out of this nutshell.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 07:26:24 am »

Wow. That's a lot of tiny quote boxes. Just what I needed.

I'm a tad busy at the moment but I'm glad to see both praise and criticism. Will look it all over after lunch.
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 07:36:41 am »

For the record, it took about four non-contiguous hours. But I'm happy to help.  :)

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 07:17:48 pm »

For the record, it took about four non-contiguous hours. But I'm happy to help.  :)

:D

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 05:10:42 pm »

So, started looking into your notes and also the notes from some other people.

There seems to be no consensus and everyone seems to put forth a decent argument for their points. For example, Jossi Rossi, a friend of mine who is a terrific writer and all around good guy, totally thought I needed to cut the 'Mericans & Viets thing.  He had good reasons for it too.

But you, and my English teacher both loved it. And put forth good reasons why it was good.  It's like this for just about all of it.

Any *other* dwarfforters feel like commenting?

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 10:05:41 pm »

So, started looking into your notes and also the notes from some other people.

There seems to be no consensus and everyone seems to put forth a decent argument for their points. For example, Jossi Rossi, a friend of mine who is a terrific writer and all around good guy, totally thought I needed to cut the 'Mericans & Viets thing.  He had good reasons for it too.

I can see that. The choice of game is a little odd but kids can get up to really werid stuff at times. Think that's really a judgement call.

Workshop classes, or really any situation where multiple people read your work, can yield interesting results. In my last fiction course we workshopped a story of mine, and 20 of the students thought a certain part was fine, while four of them thought it needed changing. I found myself agreeing with the four despite popular opinion. A good second pair of eyes is immensely helpful but in the end you just have to go with your gut.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 07:52:10 pm »

Well, I guess so. It'd just be so much easier to make judgement calls if there were more than one person arguing for any given side.