Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strife Writing Series  (Read 2797 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strife Writing Series
« on: May 23, 2009, 08:38:35 pm »

I almost always use the same character, Strife, in my forum gaming. I've written a long, complexish back-story for him. However, part of the back-story involves him having a near-infinite number of previous adventures. I'll be writing them now.

For fun, I'll be using the TV Trope Story generator for the base of the story.

Before I start writing though, here are some baselines for Strife.
Strife is an Anarchistic Archetype. He is meant to largely be the classic hero sort. However, it's his gift/curse to be ever on the move. Imagine Sora flying around his gummi ship. Strife ends up on different worlds. Always in conflict of some sort. Being the hero that he is, Strife ends up trying to help. In the end, he eventually leaves the world. The exact mechanism of his world-jumping is unknown to him, although sickness often comes when he first shows up somewhere.

Strife is a pretty imposing individual (he IS the here, after all). First of all, Strife doesn't age. He can get stabbed, shot, sick, and hurt, but not old. He assumes that he can die; he's never tested it out. He has some skill at commanding and influencing people. Strife is generally average height with brown hair.

He sports a longcoat of some kind (it changes). The coat itself is the closest thing to magic that Strife has. First of all, it's a longcoat and quite warm. Second, it shows considerable bulletproof tendencies (although they tend to vary, call it about the equivalent to Frodo's mythril shirt). The pockets are also fun things. Effectively hammer space generators, Strife has stored a lot of stuff in them over the years. He tends to have a lot of trouble finding stuff if he's in a different world though. He can almost always produce one of his weapons from his pockets, thankfully. Strife has three preferred weapons. He is rarely without a combat or bowie knife of some sort. He is an excellent knife fighter. Mind you, even an excellent knife fighter will usually get his ass handed to him by someone with a sword.

He can also produce his M15 handgun. It's a heavy weapon, and fires .45 man stoppers. Depending on the area, it may have fun effects like infinite ammunition or a shotgun mode. He can produce additional clips for it at a significant energy drain. Strife is also excellent with handguns. He's deadly with his M15. Once again though, it's not much compared to someone with the next tier of weapons (I.E. a rifle).

The best (and least often usable) firearm that Strife uses is the M-14. It's a battle rifle with some enhancements to allowed continued automatic fire. He tends to use it as a single shot weapon, but has used it as a light machine gun. The same ammunition rules as the M15 apply.

Strife has lifetimes of experience with the martial arts. He is going to be as good as a journeyman with most weapons. Although, he may end up fighting against the local styles, to somewhat game breaking results (Quickly getting a stabbing weapon when everyone is using slashing things). If possible, he'll get a polearm in a pre-gun world. He retains special skills with knives.
He is able to quickly figure out most firearms (thanks to the laws of ergonomics). It may take a few minutes though. Strife can fight with most guns with the skill of an elite soldier. He's better with his preferred weapons by a considerably degree. He will prefer a longarm of some type if he can get
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strife Writing Series
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 08:39:56 pm »

This will be the index of the stories as I write them

Story 1:
*Untitled*
Plot:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 08:41:27 pm »

Imagine Sora flying around his gummi ship.

I think this community needs to see more homosexual characters like Strife around. We aren't open enough about this sort of thing.

But really, Kingdom Hearts is so gay.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 08:42:52 pm »

Not in the gay sense, the flying to different worlds with no notion of what is on them sense.
Haven't you used that joke before as well?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 08:44:19 pm »

It wasn't a joke.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 08:47:08 pm »

You italicized so. That makes it as much of a joke than if you had underlined everything.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 09:34:22 pm »

THIS IS A PUNCHLINE YOU CAN TELL BECAUSE I UNDERLINED IT. THE CAPS LOCK ADDS SUBTLE NUANCE

Also, italics are so gay. Like, gay-person gay. gay.

Can I have my Bay12 School of Not Funny honorary degree now?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 10:11:52 pm »

I'm having a lot of trouble working all of the elements together in a decent way. I pretty much ignored the muggles to start with. Atlantis and You saved me were good starters, but Strife isn't usually a captain type. I made some progress with making him the Hero/Villian, but I'm still at a loss as to exactly what should happen then.

I was thinking that the captain would be a fighter in a civil war in an underwater world that's limited to sword level tech. Strife would be trying to stop him from setting off an ancient nuke thing. What do you guys think?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 10:31:26 pm »

I just Googled Sora. Your character doesn't look like that, right?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 10:41:18 pm »

Nope.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 10:45:31 pm »

Whew. I had to ask.

Anyway, what about having Strife show up in some stone age society? There's always Hernando-Cortezesque adventure to be had among superstitious primitives.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 02:23:40 pm »

Whew. I had to ask.

Anyway, what about having Strife show up in some stone age society? There's always Hernando-Cortezesque adventure to be had among superstitious primitives.
Killing them all with smallpox is an optional extra.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 09:47:17 pm »

Can there be a ninja with serious double-ended voulge skills?

Also, pants.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG