Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Short Request Stories (Closed)  (Read 1011 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Short Request Stories (Closed)
« on: May 24, 2009, 10:07:10 am »

Edit:  Cloooosed.  I don't have so much free time as I thought and it is a better use of it to keep the Olonkulet story going.  Sorry for the false start there, folks.

So right now my main writing commitment is Olonkulet, which is all good and well but occasionally leads to moments of writer's block.  Since the main way to break through said block is to keep writing I like to have separate fiction to write as well for when I can't write the prime work.

To this end, I dedicate this thread (the results of which will be copied onto a blog) to writing request fiction.  I have no idea how successful this may turn out, but it's a good exercise regardless.

Rules of Story Requests

• Maximum of 5 sentences or 300 words in a request.
  • Original character and place names may be requested.
  • Genre may be specified.
  • Premise should be suitable for a short, self-contained story.
  • Khelden Iituem retains copyright of the finished prose.

Sample Requests

• Alice and Bob journey to Carverly to slay the Dragon.  Elder Fenn's Grimoire was stolen and locked within the Hall of Ignominous Jails.  Kharon Lockwood of Malham, the Nightwatcher, holds the Orb of Passholdt for the Queen of Regret, needed by the pair to unlock the Secret Tomb of Urug and retrieve the Vanquisher of Wertur, a sword forged by Xarren Yorekssen of Zalm.
  • A lonely cowboy deals with a troubled past.  Action sci-fi romance.
  • Gimby has escaped by the skin of his teeth from the Half Men, but greater trials await him in the Twilight Cavern.

Go wild, give me challenges, let's see where this can be taken.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 07:42:43 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Short Request Stories (Duelling Writer's Block)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 10:58:45 am »

Almighty alrighty!

Ken Ghorus is that ordinary volcano diver who loves the thrill of just barely skinning the lava.  Everything was fine until the day when volcano diving was considered "dangerous" and was banned.  This caused the rage of Ken to go on a berserk vengeance story as he tries to reclaim his hobby.  Guest stars include Mr. T, Darth Vader, loud commercial guy, George Bush, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and many more.  Travel through time and space in this wonderful adventure full of blood shed and drama for the love of thrill.  For sure one scene will show how one of his best friends gets killed volcano diving.  STIR UP THOSE EMOTIONCOMS.  Don't forget the lizard men on that desert planet!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 11:00:35 am »

Plumbers in space.
!!&!!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 11:01:52 am »

You can always pull the "amnesia" trick.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 02:26:27 pm »

Ah, writers block! A formidable foe!

How about a group of friends who meet up three years after high-school go to their old hideout in the woods, and find a dead body with duffel bags filled with cash? They recognize the body as a local mayor, so they freak and take the cash. It turns out the cash belongs to some hard people, and their going to have to shove back if they want to stay alive...
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 03:14:14 pm »

A writer on forum for a popular independent freeware game has writer's block.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 03:26:00 pm »

Pluto, having been robbed of it's rightful status as a planet, seeks revenge on the earthlings.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 04:08:56 pm »

You live to make my life difficult, don't you?

Diver - Part I

Ken hurtled towards his foe, wings outspread and roaring with flame as the heat from the lava set the fabric alight.  No diver should fly this close to the stream and he knew it, but in this narrow tunnel he had no choice.  He blotted out the screaming of alarms through his earpiece as the cooling systems began to fail and gritted his teeth against the searing pain on his skin.  Bullets screamed through the air around him and he gripped his blade tightly. 

He would only get one shot.

"Ken, don't you dare dive into that volcano!"

Ken Ghorus ignored the protests of his ever-fretting girlfriend, running his hands down the belts of equipment strapped to his chest.  Super-lightweight fabric wings?  Check.  Full-body coolant system?  Check.  Full-body camera for hypernet coverage?  Definitely check.  Ken turned around and gave a cheeky grin to the crowds of bikini-clad spectators cheering him on, his irate beau and even the stoic faces of the native lizard men resort staff who had seen it all before.  Ken turned, ran to the edge of the caldera and leapt.

Oblivion.  A scant moment of nothingness, empty of experience save the rushing of the wind.  Then Ken spread open his arms and the mechanical wings unfolded like a flower from his back.  Hooking his fingers into the handholds he swept down towards the seething lava below, gracefully navigating the updrafts as the microscopic cameras networked throughout his suit captured and transmitted the experience in nearly a hundred and thirty thousand degrees, real-time, all across the Convocation.

A soft chiming in his ear signalled Ken that he was descending too close to the molten rock for his suit to handle, so he swept towards one of the updrafts and triggered manual flight.  Some divers made use of a suit's infra-red detection kit to find the drafts, but Ken had learnt the trick of feeling the rising currents.  You could catch an updraft and slow your descent with it and if you were really sharp stay gliding for half an hour over the fire.  There were legends of divers who had caught updrafts strong enough to fly out of the basin without engaging manual, but these were rare enough to be the stuff of legend and more than a few divers had lost their lives in the search of the perfect draft.

With a soft hiss, manual flight engaged and Ken pulled back on the wings, beating them with raw arm strength augmented by the hydraulic engines of the suit, powerful enough to draw back the massive wings and capture the rising air.  It took less than two minutes for him to fly to the top, skillfully flitting from updraft to updraft, a mere three times the length of the descent.  Ken landed lightly on the hotel's front porch, the wings folding seamlessly into the suit as the crowds of adoring partygoers rushed forward to raise him on their shoulders.  He grinned and shrugged sheepishly to his thin-lipped lover, who shook her head but rushed ahead to join the party anyway.

It was a life of thrills, of danger, of passion.  It was a diver's life.  Ken thought it would last forever.

He was wrong.

More in the next couple of days.  This one's the selected story until it reaches completion, then I'll pick the next one from the assorted suggestions.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 05:17:04 pm »

Woah.  Someone listened to me.  Let us see what happens.  I wonder how you're going to pull this one off.   ;D

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 09:19:28 pm »

If it's not too late, here's my suggestion

pigs in spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!

But seriously, try this one.

A man named Jed wants to visit the flashlight store, where he is turned down by the owner because the flashlights aren't for sale anymore. the flashlights turn into pigs. the pigs can fly. aliens find them and take them on an intergalactic planetary cruise. make it a comedy.

pigs in spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 06:35:48 am »

I think you just spun around and hit your be-hind.