Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Heated Deep.  (Read 2232 times)

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Heated Deep.
« on: May 24, 2009, 02:30:57 pm »

We walked from the mountain home, and arrived here.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5868-heateddeepthetower

We plan to take on the challenge that was mentioned so many days ago.  Someone had said, with their mead in hand "I Want to see a volcano, inside a fortress, inside a volcano!"

and so we hatched a plan, with the existence of a bottomless pit within a socks throw of a Magma Pipe.  It can be done!

We will dig a temporary home between the two, create an outflow into the pit to empty the chamber.  Once construction is done. . . we will artificially refill the chamber.  The Pressure created from our pumps will force the magma up a central borehole down the center of that tower.  Which will then be redirected into a 2nd tower for industry in the bottomless pit and back out into the abyss.

This will be the record of the attempt.  We hold no interest for community, and we have no need for a succession.  Whether we succeed in triumph or fail miserably, this is, Heated Deep.

Mods in effect.
  • All the small things
  • Bolt and arrow damages reduced
  • Dwarfs are [Slow_learners]

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
Re: Heated Deep.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 02:35:43 pm »

I will complete this before you do.Cuase i thought about using that comment by boski to build a fortress.And it will be done!!!
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 02:38:25 pm »

That sounds like a challenge.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 03:15:59 pm »

The main entry is being dug.  Alligators harass the miners as they smooth the sides of this mesa that will serve as a overlook for the main entry. 

Follow up: The Expedition Leader Catten has been killed in an all out attack against the Alligator.  Bled to death from his arm being ripped off.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 03:25:02 pm by Qloos »

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 03:35:18 pm »

You have struck microline!
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 03:51:05 pm »

Atis the Planter is my new expedition leader.  Who gives grief counseling to the cook.  Another floor down has been excavated, and now food grows inside the mesa.  Preparations are underway to enclose ourselves from the outside world.

Engraved in the communal bedroom.

A year has passed. 
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5874-heateddeepthetower

Trying to avoid the hassle of meeting the needs of a large number of dwarfs, I have prevented everything from entering my fort.  Yet the Migrants outside feast off of bugs and drink out of pools to stay alive.  2 hunters that roam the cliffs to the north pick off batmen and caveswallowmen.

However, one of the hunters has finally met an unfortunate fate of losing both his eyes in combat.  Feeling guilty, I let the migrants in.  On the flipside I have allowed someone in the late stages of a strange mood into my fortress.  He will cause trouble.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:04:39 pm by Qloos »

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 11:20:41 pm »

The drawbridge has been raised again and I have come to the conclusion that letting the migrants in was a mistake.  One dwarf has gone berserk and was swiftly killed by the expedition guards. 

The hunter who we took pity on is beyond hope.  Crippled, she had dragged herself from the mountain to our fortress, crawled down the stairs to the kitchen only to find that her ordeal was too much as she died mere feet from the precious drink that she needed.

More migrants have arrived, and I won't lower the drawbridge a second time.  Despite one of our own being outside the gate.

Late Summer: With the Drawbridge still raised the merchants have demanded we let them out.  One merchant went beserk along with his camel as others wept in the corner oblivious to the carnage around them.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 12:29:00 am by Qloos »

Zulaf

• Bay Watcher
  • Am I learning, or do I only think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 12:27:07 am »

We plan to take on the challenge that was mentioned so many days ago.  Someone had said, with their mead in hand "I Want to see a volcano, inside a fortress, inside a volcano!"

By the bloody adamantine beard of Armok i never thought i'd see someone try it!

Good luck to you mate.
WIERD 2-5-6-8-9-14

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 12:38:26 am »

Yeah good luck, this shits awesome!
Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 01:17:03 pm »

Mid-Autumn 2nd year.

Before the first wave of migrants manage to starve themselves waiting for permission to enter the fort, another wave comes.  A whole new Economy is being built off of their stubbornness as a thief makes off with a (Giant cave spider silk shoe.)  The magma outlet tunnel is being dug now in the deepest part of the mountain.  Bauxite mechanisms, floodgates, grates and hatch covers stand at the ready. 

At the fort entrance, our guards stand on defense in leather armor wooden shields and obsidian short swords.  They watch the humans who are under quarantine.  Knowing their fate if they try to leave they sit impatiently, some have been reduced to babbling idiots and all in all they just stink up the place.

Punishment has been promised for our continual detainment of the human traders.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The dwarven caravan had arrived a month or two ago, and was immediately attacked by a raging fishery worker, so they decided it was best to move on to a more profitable location.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Irony astounds me.

Mid-Winter 2nd Year.

The Human situation has taken a big turn.  The Diplomat - unable to leave - has turned melancholy and seems to be starving himself to death in protest. 

The dwarfs on the outside starve and die of thirst while others manage to scavenge what scraps the hills offer to survive.  I witnessed a dwarf go berserk next to one of the few available ponds.  They beat each other to within an inch of their life and lie mangled next to the pond, dieing of thirst.

But one dwarf, along the mountain ridge, starving, his clothing rags and tatters.  With his puppy in tow yelled a maniacal cry that reached the fortress.

Moments later he was reported to have tore a peasant apart with his bear hands.

Inside the fortress the magma outlet chamber is nearing completion.  Linking the Floodgates to the levers will allow us to begin the drainage of the pipe.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 12:57:39 am by Qloos »

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 08:58:39 pm »

Early Spring of 3rd Year.

The math is complete.  The total power needed to pump the required magma up 18 floors is as follows:
1080 for screw pumps
75 for gear assembly (so far)
9 for axles (so far)

The only source of water available to us is the limited rain water and a underground pool somewhere to the North East.  I'd prefer to extend my tower upwards and have a large number of floors dedicated purely to wind power, instead of trying to tap into a limited resource and possibly deplete it.  A few soldiers have died in training from wounds untreated by water, training has been indefinitely suspended and they spend months doing nothing but intimidate the humans.

This means I'll have to resort to a windpower generation setup of 40 to 80 windmills depending on how much power each generates.  I will update this post soon to detail how successful a 6 tile wide outflow is in draining a magma pipe.

The magma pipe is quite unstable near the bottom, I channeled from above onto the lowest floor to begin the drainage, but magma unexpectedly spewed upwards from the gap.  At this depth even magma will seek its own level.  The breach was sealed - although unnecessarily - as the spewing magma travels very little and subsides often.  Still: A safety hazard was observed and covered quickly, as the stupid peasants kept running down to clean the magma stains off the rock next to the unstable opening.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 09:10:26 pm by Qloos »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 09:18:04 pm »

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 09:20:29 pm »

*koff*

Bare*

So anyways.

I've lowered the drawbridge with 5 of the remaining migrants still outside, the old friend the proficient Architect among them.  His ordeal was nothing as he returned neither hungry nor thirsty after a year of exile. 

Also entering the fort is Zon the Leather worker who continues brooding darkly.  He claimed a tanners shop, complained that he needed "something" and wouldn't tell us what, then left and roamed the mountains, came back and continued complaining that he still needed this "something."

I find it odd that he's been starving in his strange mood for half a hear and has yet to expire or go berserk.

Also among the survivors: a sword dwarf, who miserably trudged inside and announced she was captain of the guards.

The remaining two survivors threw tantrums, threw things and beat some of the local inhabitants up.  Furious about not being let in they bruised some eyes. 

Unfortunately for them.  The Captain of the Guards would stand none of this and sentenced them both a very lenient sentence:  Before they could eat or drink their first meal in their new home.

The Dwarven Liaison is NOT happy about being kept waiting until mid spring until he could be given an audience. 

--A week later, Mid Spring 3rd Year--

The Leaterworker has created an artifact Olm Leather Amulet.

"The Stormy Ticks"
Mysteriously upon it's creation the fortress exhaled a foul miasma filled air that made the guards gag and their eyes water.  Some say the Amulet when used properly produces a swarm of over sized ticks that burrow into the users enemies.  And some say it's a piece of Olm Leather that menaces with spikes of Marble. 

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 10:48:41 pm by Qloos »

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 10:29:18 am »

--Mid Summer 3rd Year--

*AHEM*
. . . damn humans. .

The west magma pipe is finally being drained, but just barely.  That could take a while.

The East tower is under construction, however it's quite dangerous.

The search for the Underground pool continues as another peasant that received a beating dies of thirst.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 10:42:06 am by Qloos »

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 06:51:36 pm »

-- Year 4, Late Spring. --
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5956-heateddeepthetower

9 months and the human siege continues.  We've long since run out of wood and we've been reduced to eating a diet of nothing but plump helmets. 

9 months and we still have yet to find the Underground pool.

9 months and the magma pipe still has not fully drained.  Despite the outflow being increased by 150%!!

In fact, there seems to be a major setback in the plan for the tower inside the magma pipe.  As the magma drained away the floors above were opened to the outside air. . .  But to our surprise the Magma fell like rain, forming in the spaces above and falling to refill what we have drained.  The Blood of Amok falls from the sky.

This changes nothing.  We will sacrifice some of the brave workers in the attempt, we will increase the drainage by another 200% if need be!

The mountain will be excavated, the forest cleared and the opposition awestruck as we forge forward.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 07:26:48 pm by Qloos »
Pages: [1] 2