Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Tale Ozkakobok (Story)  (Read 767 times)

HM4A1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Tale Ozkakobok (Story)
« on: May 25, 2009, 12:59:45 am »

*This is my first story, I just wrote it out as the game played through. Please put down any grammar mistakes and the simple style of writing down to the under-education of the writers. Hope you enjoy.*

☼The Tale Ozkakobok☼
“Oddom Duimatsheb, Guard cancels Sparring in Barracks: Too insane.”

The tale of Ozkakobok is compiled of diary entries and kingdom reports of the happenings within the fortress of Ozkakobok, located to the immediate east of an unrecorded human settlement in the Northeast. Ozkakobok; “Carrypillars” was founded by the Solitary Mansion of the Exalted Irons in 301 and an expedition was sent out in the Spring of  303 by The Tower of Demons of The Wilted Tool to reclaim the fortress. The tale is told in a 3 books translated into the common Human tongue and held in the Dwarfish library of Copperaxe.

==Book 1, Return to Ozkakobok==

+Chapter 1, The Unpacking+

When the Dwarven Lord heard of the failure of the founders of Ozkakobok, he swiftly sent a number of 35 dwarves to reclaim the fortress before it was overrun by goblins. The following is the diary of Mosus Rigothmosus, a prominent miner of the 35 dwarf party.

1st Granite, 303. Early Spring.

Upon the way not a single dwarf showed of the 40 who were once home here, 7 corpses lay toward the entrance in what appeared to be a graveyard. Floodgates, traps, quivers and all other sorts of items are scattered all throughout the fields. A rotting corpse lays dry about a foot from a great pool of water. The entrance to the fortress was supreme, it is found at the end of a moderately short wedge in the side of the mountain. As you walk further through the crevice the blooming plants surround you and the sheer cliffs at my side appear almost godly. Then the entrance of the fortress appears, a grim sight as it were, corpses of Mules and Cows litter the main hall and one lay dead but almost comic upon a stone chair. A diary layed almost presented upon the gate revealed much, it tells of the experiences toward the end of this fortress’s first inhabitant’s lives in the writings of another Miner, described only as ‘Ace’ on the proclaiming page.

The fields to the south of Ozkakobok are burnt and desolate, probably a cause of the local volcano. It is Ingish Dakonslan's (the expedition leader, a woman of noble cause) fear that this site will be the home to a great amount of kobolds soon, if not already, if the items scattered EVERYWHERE are not soon cleared. We understood this and we were either set to work on farms, cooking, brewing, gathering plants or clothes... We are forced to dump the bloated bodies that lay hidden beneath farm plots now thriving yield over a hill. We have decided that we will in fact be greatly utilizing the abandoned fortress as our own home, at least for now, the blood stained walls give me the shivers.. One dwarf corpse is found to the west of the hall with a battle-axe in hand and several slain dwarf nearby, what a ghastly sight. There is only one good claim that may be made of this place, THERE ARE NO CATS!

4th Slate, 303. Mid-Spring.

Things are going well, we are getting organized and godly of all; our farm's are going well, our stocks are building and with it our strength. Steel amour still lays about all over the entrance, this is a minor issue. After reading Ace's diary, I have decided to take up the eastern tower as my own. I feel his presence when I sleep there, of which I can take comfort in his knowledge and learn from his mistakes.

12th Hematite, 303, Early Summer.

Water supplies are now running extremely thin, water-well production has come to an end now and we must await rain to fill our waterways. Until then alcohol supply needs to be tripled, our past ‘lax’ ways are showing dangerous and our alcohol supply is by no means adequate for these weathers. This must change...

We have begun construction of a trade depot linked to a magma vent, this may prove useful.

1st Limestone, 303. Early Autumn.

Still no new migrants, a good thing I suppose, our food and alcohol supplies are only just starting show a good incline.  The Trade depot/magma trap is becoming a reality, should be complete for the next elven merchants :D Damn Elves deserve punishment for the things they did to my great grandfather, and all he did was offer then a snack in a wooden bowl!

Ms Ingish Dakonslan has been appearing very attractive these past months. I think she may be growing on me!?

17th Limestone, 303, Early Autumn.

One kobold thief today was severely beaten and killed today after having its head, left leg and left hand severely mangled when it attempted to steal from the feet of Ushat Lilummomuz and Athel Kutamfikod... Other than that, its all steady going.. Still only 34 Dwarfs present at the site. Dwarfish merchants arrived with various useful goods to trade for, including food.

6th Sandstone, 303. Mid-Autumn.

Still no rain, water-well pipes are complete and thanks to the dwarfish traders our food supplies are now above 100. However our alcohol supplies are not, food production has been extremely slow going.

15th Sandstone, 303. Mid-Autumn.
Rovod Korilral claimed a metalsmith's forge today. Not sure exactly what he’s planning to do, he’s been acting rather strange recently. No-one can get anything out of him other than "Agseth Igest.."? ----*diary interupted*--- Ah! Amazing, he’s created a copper idol studded with copper and adorned with hanging rinds of copper.. (he obviously likes copper).. worth 7200!! Wait a minute, that engraved dwarf looks rather like m...

For the proceeding several entries the information is mostly trivial and uninteresting, other than that the yields of the farms of Ozkakokon were great and the food production high. Mosus has also become intimately related to Ingish Dakonslan. 18 Migrants arrived on the 17th Slate, 304. Mid-Spring. At this point everyone is beginning to feel a too safe, things are too quiet..

+Chapter 2, Justice Arrives+

24th Slate, 304, Mid-Spring.
Along with the arrival of the "Captain of the Guard" status, being the placed upon the expedition leader, mayor and my lover: Ingish Dakonslan, 5 men were assigned as Fortress Guards. A waste of fine labour if you ask me, but hopefully they do provide a bit of extra security when it comes to Thieves. This extra security leads me to believe that our luck may well be running to an end, something is coming.

16th Felsite, 304. Late-Spring.
GREAT ARMOK! A great fire has sprung up on the same ground as our fortress entrance! 5 dwarves either caught outside or targeted victims of this foe have already been slain! It is fire-imps from the volcano! Terrible creatures, they won’t exist for much longer though! At first dwarves run back and forth from the armory, unknowing what to do, Ingish is an inexperienced commander. Then it was decided to build a wall, but work was to slow and as the fire approached all dwarfs were ordered inside. I stand at the opening of the entrance. Now we await our fate! What will happen once the fire rages at our doors! As the fire approached, my gaze was stuck upon it, I know its coming, it draws closer even now! Closer... But I cannot move! My legs will not budge! I can feel the heat now. I MUST GET TO THE ENTRANCE! I am stuck! Claws! Around my leg! GREAT GOBLIN CLAWS FROM BELOW! THEY WILL NOT LET GO!

+Chapter 3, ‘Mostodkalan’+

-Begin the writings of Ingish Dakonoslan. Written in real-time during her experiences beginning directly after the Great Fire of Ozkakobok.

= The extended diary of Mosus Rigothmosus, written by Ingish Dakonslan =

- On the first page is an entry re-written in third person by scriptwriters of The Wilted Tool -
"Oh Angzak Lowsilt! My God! Where are you! Ingish, I love you, I always have! Carry on my diary!" Mosus throws the diary at the gate, a griefstriken Ingish screams out Mosus' name. She sees his belt caught on the nearby workshop and leg entangled in vines. She knows there is nothing she can do. And Ingish watches as her husband screams in pain and his body is engulfed in smoke. She holds tight the diary he had thrown her. The fire did not burn upon the stone floors of Ozkakobok and 44 dwarfs remain to clean up the charred remains of their loved ones. Ingish claimed the bedroom of Mosus and felt the presence of her lover and another within it. One farmer went mad upon this day and caused a great scar upon Atir Onulokir, only to be taken down by a nearby Guard only seconds before firing a bolt aimed at Ingish, the noble of Ozkakobok, the expedition leader and Captain of the Guard.
-----------------------------

The next day I sent 20 men to slay those imps that caused the Great Fire of Ozkakobok, of which I proclaimed on the 23rd Felsite of 204. Late Spring. The fire which took my husband, my lover, the man whom made my very existence meaningful, who now is burnt into the entrance of Ozkakobok and of now my faith is within Ozkakobok itself.

The beast hunting was not so easy, as workers went out to reclaim the bodies of fallen ones a fireball narrowly missed a farmer, everyone was ordered indoors and the army was lined up outside. As the men filed up amidst a pile of steel armor, the alcohol supplies dwindled, if this threat was not cleared out soon, we would have many more troubles at our doorstep very soon.. I wanted this issue cleared, and summer had just arrived, so I ordered 2 trained men to hurry up and finish the job, and on the 1st Hematite, 304, Early Summer the 2 men bravely rushed the fiend upon both flanks, fire roared a shaking miss. The imp turned to face Rovod Korilral and with a sharp sneer pierced his heart with its fist and a fire erupted within him. This was no ordinary Fire Imp, this was Mostodkalan, "Shametrailed". Its eyes glowed with anger and stung the hope of all who faced it. Its tail glittered with flames and sparked upon the already charred ground. Mostodkalan and Dakost Musodtulon circled each other, his face gleamed with hate, this beast, this thing had slain 8 of his people and his fists, red with rage as they clenched his great war-hammer, swung above his head and down upon the beast. Mostod was fast, but fast was not enough, the hammer fell into the back of his right calf and caused a break. Mostodkalan stunned and fell, Dakost reached upward again with his mighty steel war-hammer and brought it upon the imps crouched torso crushing the entirety of its right limbs into a mangled mess. In its pain, Mostodkalan fell unconscious. Dakost did not stop until Mostodkalan, the demon of 9 lives, was but a pool of hated goo. When the rest of the army arrived, Dakost sat without expression, facing his dead partner Rovod. ‘Welldone’ they jeered at him, but his expression did not change..

+Chapter 4, Due Justice+

Back in the great hall of Ozkakobok, Morul Inethnoleth recieved a blows to his right leg for destroying his own bed in his fury. Atir and Onulokir too had made the same mistakes. Malancholly had befalled Ozkakobok at this grave time, and it was showing. Walls fell before several dwarfs and many rooms had lost all furbishing. I wonder how long this terrible disorder will last. 3 Dwarves lay resting in their beds with grievous wounds, either caused by tantrums or fighting. Several men stood outside the volcano for hours awaiting the other fire-imps to arise, ready claim blood for their loss, but they would not. Fist fights erupted in the hall. Things were turning almost unbearably ugly. I stand out in the hall awaiting some kind of order, yelling this and that at those who neared me, until an insane dwarf erupted into a furry beside me and fractured my right arm. I lay now, waiting in someone else’s bed, waiting for something, anything. Through the door I can hear crashing, screaming, yelling, workshops toppling, guards screaming at Bomrek Storlutrigoth to put his weapon down, one of the dwarfs originally in the imp-slaying party. Throughout this, some dwarves continued to supply the fortress with alcohol and food, preventing their starvation and mine. More men went mad and women too. I rested, I could not walk, the pain of stepping was enough to make me cry. I tried. I could not get Mosus out of my mind, my thoughts enraged me, if I could, I would run out of my room and spear-tackle the closest criminal, they had all become criminals, everyone. Litash Ozormoral spoke with me, for ages it seemed, her face turned down, she glared at the floor, her eyes did not raise to mine once. I knew her pain, everyone felt it. She reported to me on what was happening beyond the door. In her fair voice, this is what she reports:

Lor Egomstakud was chained outside the entrance, and broke free within minutes. Litash Stizashkubuk created Esar Torir in his insanity, "The Quiescence of Void", an amulet of groundhog leather worth 6000! Doors and chairs were being reduced to splinters. The fortress guard were dwindling, Oddom Dumatshameb, one of the strongest members of the guard who took joy in her kills, was reduced to tears in her room. A berserk mechanic charged at another of the guard, stunning him, pounding into the guards steel amour, they wrestled in the soot and dust, the mechanic threw the guard upon the cliff-face. Ducim Boundhall, was in great pain, his skull fractured and right foot broken, he tried to crawl away from this old acquaintance, blood streaked across the mountain fields, but the mechanic, Ushat Ciloburdim felt no sorrow nor pity in his rage, he stomped on the defenseless guard and onlookers did nothing. Ducim now felt nothing, he dropped his battleaxe and continued to crawl with whatever limbs he could force to move until eventually, Ushat finally managed to end it, with his bare hands.

Ushat now charged, with a broken arm, at the still Bomrek Storrlutrigoth. Bomrek did not flinch, but fell to the ground unconscious with Ushat atop him. Ushat kept beating, smashing, pounding, still with his bare hands, the blood of two weaker dwarves now fresh upon them. Digging into the immobile body of Bomrek, Ushat wept as he laid into the motionless figure. The remaining guard was becoming enraged; Athel Kutamfikod is thrown and fractured upon the floor, his back and head shatters and splinters. Oddom was pacing the halls unaffected by her surroundings, pondering, laughing, and weeping, inside herself. Bomrek's coprse lays motionless now upon the entrance. A dwarf moved Athel to a bed. Ushat, tiring now fought drunkly with a dog. Atir omulokir was being beaten by one of the guard, his upper body mauled and legs broken, Stakud Rakustingul slashed at the him with his mace. A bringer of justice. He left Atir laying by the well, conscious, Atir screamed; "ARMOK GUIDE YOU!", the scream rang throughout the fortress. Dakost Musodtulon moved him to a room.

At this point a hunter reports to my room; "A human caravan has arrived upon the mountain!" and was sharply trusted at the doorframe and dragged away, the door, now wide open and smeared with blood, reveals the great hall. Blood, wood splinters and rock are scattered everywhere. A fisher is seen going berserk in the distance. Litast Ozormorul, the young girl reporting to me steps away from the door and approaches my bed; "Thank you" I manage to say. She gives me a kind smile and proceeds to pull a short blade from her pocket…

*Book 2 is of the founding of Ozkakobok. Placed immediately before the events recorded in book 1.

==Book 2, The Founders of Ozkakobok==

Upon the front cover reads"Diary, Ace ***=**" The last word being too bitten to read. Several pages glued together by natural effects are pursued by the first readable entry in the diary and begins as such:

18th Opal, 302. Mid-Winter.

By Ozkakobok! Almost a year we have thrived happily within the mountains sheath, a year I have sat unbeknownst of our weaknesses.

Once these darnst immigrants arrived everything turned backwards, and now they are dropping like flies upon the halls. How stupid was I not to realize.. We have run out of food, water and alcohol and in the cold no-one is able to persist. Almost everyone has given in to huntin' for vermin and there is little I can do but order all to work in the brisk air on the farms. "HateFarm" they call it. 48 strong we were before this terrible ordeal, 37 now, and declining. Several have fallen to melancholy and tantrum. I and Astesh Domaslar continue to carve into the great mountain, try to ignore the cries of sorrow and drown the screams in our mining. I’m not sure how long we shall last this way..

20th Opal, 302.

Today our sheriff hath past away, his body flailed over the corpses of other bony and featureless corpses which have been dragged outside. I fear even a small band of kobolds could wipe us all off this mountainside without troubles. There are only a few of us not in pain from starvation. To escape the nightmare, I sleep in the Tower of Eagles to the Northeast of our fortress, the highest point for hundreds of miles. No scream can reach my dreams here.

25th Opal, 302.

FOOD! I MUST EAT AND I MUST DRINK! THE BONES ACROSS THE FLOOR OF FELLOW DWARVES SEEM FIT ENOUGH TO EAT EVEN!

The rest of the book is torn off at the seam. It is believed that this is the point that the fortress of Ozkakobok was abandoned.

= Book 3, Corollary=

Ozkakobok was again abandoned on the 15th Hematite, 304. Early Summer. The mountains of Ozkakobok are to the dwarfs considered cursed by the Fire-Imps themselves, cursed by the center of the earth. Dwarfish caravans dare travel past there and avoid the area at all costs.

Records show that:
3 Kobold Thieves were killed by Dwarfish inhabitants of this area
2 Evil minions were slain by Dwarfish inhabitants of this area
13 Dwarfs starved to death
3 Dwarves died from thirst
9 Dwarfs were murdered by other dwarfs
6 Dwarfs were murdered by Evil forces
4 Dwarfs burnt to death
In all, 103 dwarves had lived in Ozkakobon

A short couple of days after the abandonment of the settlement of Ozkakobok by The Wilted Tool, ‘The Absolute Confusing Merchant’ formed in the area.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 01:04:40 am by HM4A1 »

HM4A1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Tale Ozkakobok (Story)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 03:21:38 am »

No comments at all?

Khalep

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 08:37:38 am »

The lack of replies is indeed strange, perhaps they're just being shy?

The story's certainly good though. Heh, just as all seemed to be going well things took a turn for the worse and the fortress ended up being abandoned. again. Made a nice read.
A pity the first dwarf had to die so soon though, I liked 'his' style.
Will there be more?

HM4A1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 02:53:10 am »

Mmm, heh thanks. I wasn't so sure whether it was written well enough. Anywho possibly, but not of the same mountain, that thing was freakin doomed from the start XD