Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What would you want to buy but can't get?  (Read 858 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
What would you want to buy but can't get?
« on: May 25, 2009, 03:28:39 am »

I'm thinking of starting a little summer enterprise to avoid being bored. I want to import some stuff and sell them in my city, but as of now, I have no clue what to buy and sell. I'm thinking maybe modchips or flashcarts or the like (buy wholesale and sell for cheap, undercutting everyone else).

It's not very difficult in this city because these guys don't really have a sense of competitive spirit or enterpreneurial form. So, give me some ideas on what you'd like to be able to buy for a cheaper price than what's available and if possible, I might even start selling it at low prices.

No, this isn't a joke thread. Summer is long and I don't want to be bored. I'm a uni student too and finances aren't really much of a problem.... for cheap stuff anyway.

I'm currently thinking:
1. Scale model kits.
2. Imported games.
3. Modchips / flashcarts.
4. Headsets.

Any ideas?

edit: Here's an example, I can get 20 Acekard 2i for around $18.53 each with free shipping from Hong Kong. The selling price for these things in this country is around $40 - $50 each, not including shipping. Acekard 2i is the Nintendo DSi's flashcart which allows you to play pirated games and stuff (though it's not supposed to) and is not illegal in Canada.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What would you want to buy but can't get?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 07:09:42 pm »

I made a profit last summer by making small-scale trebechutes out of about $4 of wood and the screws with hooks on the end. Sold them to teenagers and little kids for about $7 at a store my friend owns. Needless to say, the demonstration model that got the all hyped was one I built two summers ago with a much more considerable cost than $4.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 03:35:48 am »

So I posted the ads selling five Super R4i for the NDSi, NDS, and NDSlite for $30 each and sold out on the same day. I kinda made $65 without doing anything really.

Yup, there's definitely demand.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 02:36:13 pm »

4. Headsets.
I read that as "headaches" the first time.

Careful with those DS modchips. Demand will be short lived if you sell them that fast, and if you overstock, you can easily destroy your marginal profit. Know your market.

One of the local techies near me has a racket on Game Console repair. It's really easy. 5 minutes, if that, with a small stock on hand of some specialized tools, sometimes a spare part, and a blowdryer. Charges half of what the official company does and still makes about 50$ per fix. He makes at least 400$ every weekend.

Of course you have to know computer hardware and not be afraid of breaking someone's electronics. But, the people that come to you have no idea how to do it, so if you mess up you can just tell them it is hopeless from the start and not feel guilty as technically it was busted to begin with. All the resources and tools to do this are online.

Learn some game console modding as well and offer some mods. Anything from simply swapping out LEDs to installing modchips. The parts for those you can import from china for dirt cheap.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 05:04:31 pm »

A Grand National.

Other than that, some old PS1 games I suppose. Final Fantasy Anthologies comes to mind.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 09:00:58 pm »

I was actually considering installing wiiclips since it's a piece of cake, but the problem with that is because of the huge number of different wii versions, you'd need to have lots of different chips and clips available at the same time, which kinda goes out of my budget.

I might consider the external plugins though, or a wii firmware downgrade service or something like that.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 09:05:28 pm »

If this was in DC, I would just suggest Nutella because damn if nobody sells it for a good hour drive away.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO