Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Evil Genius- A classic from 2004  (Read 1780 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Genius- A classic from 2004
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 10:32:57 pm »

The only specific way to be an agent I remember is capturing the teddy bear of that russian special ops lady.

Each Agent other then James Bond can be defeated by doing missions. (James Bond is the only one I discredit :P)

Jungle Girl is defeated by giving her bad Plastic Surgery
Bruce Lee is defeated by having his master beat him up
Rambo is defeated by giving him bad steriod injections

I always forget one of the Super Agents but I think it is the one you can actually recruit.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 10:36:59 pm by Neonivek »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 03:57:46 am »

Dammit.  There went my night.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 04:08:28 am »

The trouble I found was that it is too tempting to have an endless circle of wind traps that can capture all the agents and give you endless amounts of cash. Also once you have 50 (I think) agents in the trap no more come. Super agents still mess you up mind you.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 05:26:36 pm »

Evil Genius was a weird game for me;

I really loved the design and the idea -> I'd feel bad about pirating it.
I heard horrorstories about (potentially gamebreaking) bugs -> I'd feel bad about buying it.

They should make it freeware, finally. I don't think there's that much money to be made with it nowadays anyway.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 05:32:12 pm »

The bugs are not that bad if you're a bit cautious.

One gamebreaker:  There's an item for your control room that you can research that, for some reason, saps your avatar's health by -20 when you save.  God knows why.  Don't stand by the large viewscreen in your control room.  Weird.

Other gamebreaker:  Only so much stuff can be moved from island 1 to island 2, including loot, and if you hack, sometimes including your avatar itself.  Solution:  Don't hack to give yourself extra guys above the cap.  And if you captured *ALL* the loot before you moved, consider killing off a few random grunts so you have like 80 guys instead of 100 when it's time to move to the second island.

Those are the only two gamebreakers I've ever heard about.

The idea is fun, but I'd forgotten how mind-numbingly boring this game can be.  It's worse than DF at its worst, sometimes.  Way too much of the game is "Okay, I have my evil lair built, now I need some money / I need some research.  I guess I'll vaguely micromanage my minions on the world domination screen, and vaguely micromanage the agents who are trying to break in...for an hour straight...without doing anything interesting..."

I'm currently stopped a couple notoriety points shy of when the first super-agent shows up.  Getting all my research done.  It's boring.  Maybe I should just blaze on ahead without caution...But I'll need a pile of money later anyway, so I might as well get it now, when there's less threats, instead of having to micromanage MORE later...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:01:20 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 [2]