Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ulolmistem (Lastportal) - Community Fortress  (Read 2171 times)

djes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ulolmistem (Lastportal) - Community Fortress
« on: May 25, 2009, 06:28:01 pm »

After my last community fortress (Communist fortress) miserably failed, I decided to play the game a bit more before I started a new one. Now that I think I have a firm grasp on the game, here we go!

Starting location :
4x4
Hfs? Yes
Magma Pipe? Yes
River? Yes
Surroundings: Sinister

Starting seven:
Aderis - Miner/Trader

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5900-lastportal

Premise:
We've been sent to this accursed region in search of Adamantine for the King. Personally, I don't think we'll find anything here but zombies and skeletons, but one can't be certain. I'm not sure how he plans for us to survive in such an environment with just seven of us. I suppose only time will tell.

I'll let a couple of hours pass before I make the starting seven dwarfs generic. If you want one or have any special equipment requests post sometime today!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 11:10:47 pm by djes »

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
Re: Ulolmistem (Lastportal) - Community Fortress
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 08:22:13 pm »

Nil Oxblockades
was sent there to mine.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 08:45:12 pm »

Mechanic/siege engineer, male of the name of Legon.  Let's act like he's 17.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Baltiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 09:25:20 pm »

Name:  Beardaxe McAxebeard.
Professions:  Axedwarf mainly, but off-duty he can be a Woodcutter, assuming not -all- the trees are dead, and if so, he can be a butcher.

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 09:43:10 pm »

Urist Gemeye: All around craftsdwarf. Youngish, and tragicly bald all over after a horrible magma related incident. Dreams of a beard made of gold and gems. One day.....

He brings with him a selection of cheap "gems" agate and the like.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 09:45:41 pm by Kel the Oblivious »
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 10:11:04 pm »

Fisherdwarf named Urist McFisher who sits around all day and fishes. Has an uncanny knack for walking in on dwarves at the wrong time.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Llamiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 10:30:01 pm »

Scabrist (or "Scab Rat"), insane and egotistical architect that used to be in the army as a siege operator. Likes designing pointlessly massive edifices and poking people, especially infants.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 01:46:34 am by Llamiel »
It's a shame that wagons explode at the sight of dreaded sea foam.

djes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 06:39:33 am »

~ Diary of Aderis - 1st Granite, 11, Early-Sprintg
I've decided to gather profiles of the dwarfs that I came with.

One seems to be quite elderly, and wants to be assigned mining duty. Poor thing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

One aspiring young mechanic and siege engineer looks eager to put ballista shots through just about anything that moves out there.

A dwarf named Beardaxe McAxebeard is wanting axe duties.

Urist Gemeye is the fortress craftsdwarf. He made us bring along these damned worthless rock crystals.

Urist McFisher probably won't make it long unless I wall in some sort of fishing area (assuming the blasted river isn't full of dangerous things).

Finally, Scabrist is the architect. He seems a bit on the uppity side. Hopefully we won't get any problems out of hi- Hey! Stop poking me.

These be the souls that are damned to build this mining catastrophe with me. Gods be with us. I'll live to write in you by the end of summer hopefully.

Some of you turned out female, hopefully that's alright.

Llamiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 11:47:43 am »

Muahaha! The poking BEGINS!

I've always wanted to join one of this things, can't wait to see how it'll turn out  ;D

djes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 05:37:59 pm »

~ Diary of Aderis - Spring Excerpts
I've decided to grab a pick and aid the current miner. I didn't foresee that she'd be the only miner, even though she's not half bad. We need to hurry and get in the side of this cliff before things get ugly, not that this lot is pretty or anything. I've had a temporary carpenter's workshop set up outside the entrance to have some beds made. McFisher zoomed off immediately to 'fish' while we did all of the real work.

Scabrist seems to want to build a bridge to the other side of this ravine. I'm not sure how I feel about that just yet. Seems like anything that's over there should probably stay there while we look for these rocks. Perhaps if I accomodate his needs he'll stop prodding everyone. It gets rather irritating with people being on different sleeping schedules. I like my beauty sleep, damnit.

As the bedroom area was being dug out we struck a couple of veins of gems and even some coal. I assume GemEye will be quite pleased by this, but at the same time I'm irritated that my designs must be destroyed. Perhaps we can build walls to replace the mined stone.

It's the last month of Spring and we've been digging out a large stockpile area in an attempt to bring everything in out of the rain. The bedroom area has been ravaged in search of gems (no doubt the work of GemEye). I haven't seen much of McFisher, hopefully he's alright up there.

The season has been busy, but very boring by battle standards. I've seen little more than mountain goats, though with the new drawbridge system, thanks to Legon's (Damn fine mechanic for his age) mechanisms, we could easily sit out any invasion. When the King said that the environment would be sinister, I was expecting legions of undead and whatnot. Oh well, Gods be praised for our good fortune so far.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 05:40:01 pm by djes »

djes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 06:36:35 pm »

~ Diary of Aderis - Summer Excerpts
Blast it! I just realized that no one has any earthly idea how to brew or farm. No matter, I'm having an underground area for the brook to drain into dug out. We'll have a well built in no time. That should keep our thirsts quenched until we can learn to brew. Hopefully McFisher can keep bringing in meals as fast as he has been, otherwise thirst is the least of our problems.

Gods! Disaster has struck! Apparently the hole in which the well was supposed to be positioned over overflowed! Fortunately, I drafted everyone to masonry work and we walled it up. Close call for this fortress, perhaps our luck with the environment isn't so good after all. Looks like I'll be learning to brew and farm.

GemEye has been making little crafts out of bone and decorating them with shell. Maybe when the caravan arrives in Autumn we'll have something to trade for a bit of food and drink. Stocks aren't desperately low, but I think  the others are noticing that we're not producing any yet. I better keep learning before Scabrist goes off and develops some enormous machine to do it for us (not that it wouldn't be handy, just impractical).

Looks like we may have a scrap or two of food for winter after all. I'm  no expert farmer, but there's a bit growing here and there.

In other news, a raccoon stole our only rope.

I should've guessed that the hole would overflow. I let water fall about 8 z levels and expected it to just stay there.

Also, I've assigned Scabrist to masonry duty since it goes well with architecture and there's no other masons.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 07:51:07 pm »

Hey dwarves are middle aged at 72.They die at 140 something.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

djes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 08:02:16 pm »

My bad, I assumed they had the same lifespan as humans in DF. I'll correct that from now on.

Llamiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 08:50:42 pm »

Masonry's fine, and you're right, it does go well. And don't worry about the well. Explosive geysering inside a fortress is a good omen anyway.

I'm curious though what the map looks like... any chance you could upload it to the dfma site so we can take a peek?  :)

Edit: WOOOOH!!! You're right, I do want to build a bridge over that.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 12:48:01 am by Llamiel »

djes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 11:11:09 pm »

Added it to the first post. Second two seasons of the first year are pretty boring, so I'm going to condense that update into one post.
Pages: [1] 2