Finally... > Forum Games and Roleplaying

SAME: Koganlibash

(1/14) > >>

Grek:
Basic Rules:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)1. You have four stats. Strength, Agility, Wits, Knowledge.
Each costs 1 point when making a character. Each player gets 20 points.
2. No player character's highest stat can be more than three points greater than that character's lowest stat. This rule does not apply to monsters.
3. You also have various attacks. Each attack does a certain amount of damage and has one stat listed as it's tohit stat and one as it's damage stat.
4. Attacking involves pitting your stats and modifiers directly against the same stats of your opponent. Thus, if you are rolling to hit with Agility, I am dodging with Agility. If you are attacking with Knowledge, I am soaking with Knowledge.
5. To hit someone, roll 1d20 + Your ToHit Stat vs. 8 + Their ToHit Stat.
6. To decide damage, use Attack Damage + Damage Stat
7. If you roll a good attack roll, you inflict extra damage. For every two points your attack roll exceeds the number you needed to hit, you inflict 1 extra damage.
8. After damage has been decided, the defender rolls soak. Soak is equal to 1d20 + Attack's Damage Stat + Armour.
9. If your soak equals the damage, you suffer no injury. If you fail that roll by one or more, you suffer a wound. For every two additional points you fail by, you suffer another wound.
10. At 5 wounds, you receive a -1 penalty to all rolls. At 8 wounds, you receive a -2 penalty. At 10 wounds, you are incapacitated and cannot act until your wound level drops below 10.
Equipment:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)1. Equipment is not always actual items. It can be kung-fu, force lightning, superhuman toughness or magical protection. Whatever you want, as long as it fits in the setting.
2. This setting has seven elements: Earth, Metal, Water, Fire, Alcohol, Wood, Blood. Each attack has 1 of these elements attached to it, even physical objects like swords. Copper daggers do Fire damage. Your fists do Blood damage. You can also have special fighting styles that let your fists do Water damage.
3. You pick a set of attacks when creating your character. To do this, pick an element for the attack, the amount of damage it does, it's tohit stat, it's damage stat and any special modifiers you want for that attack. Normal attacks have a damage of 20. You divide all 100 of your starting points between various attacks. No attack can have more than 30 points in it.
4. Attacks CAN have negative values for their Attack Damage. This allows you to get more special bonuses than you would otherwise. It also means you need extra tohit or damage stats in order for them to do damage. Attacks cannot have less than -15 damage.
5. Special modifiers are as follows:
- Aoe Attack: 5 per additional person attacked.
- Ranged Attack: 10 per 15 feet of range.
* Other things, if you can come up with something else. I can't.
6. Each sort of armour you wear protects against 1 element. You can have multiple sorts of armour. You get 15 starting points to buy armour. 1 point is worth 1 armour against 1 element.
Skills:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)Each stat gets three skills:

Strength
-Rowing
-Swiming
-Forging
Agility
-Sailing
-Sneaking
-Music
Wits
-Medicine
-Persuade
-Perception
Knowledge
-Astronomy
-Religion
-Geography

Skill rolls are 1d20 + Stat + Skill vs. DC set by the DM.
You start with 50 skill points.
Skill uses:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)Rowing: Used to travel in a row boat and row your ship during a storm.
Swiming: Used to travel while in water.
Forging: Assists with the collection of Armour and Weapon points.
Sailing: Used to travel when there are not storms and to provide for people on a boat via fishing.
Sneaking: Sneak past people.
Music: Play music for fun, profit and other uses.
Medicine: Cures wounds and fixes poisons.
Persuade: Convinces people to come along with you and get good deals in shops.
Perception: Spots things, gathers information. Finds sneaking people.
Astronomy: Helps with navigation and to ensure good fortune.
Religion: Identify shrines, temples and other religious events.
Geography: Where you are and what wants to eat you here.
Other Game Info:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)The setting for the first game is Koganlibash, a Dwarf Fortress inspired fantasy world. Your characters will be pseudo-greek heros like Achilles, Odysseus, Aeneas, Jason and Madea. They will be going around in boats stirring up trouble and questing for a legendary artifact, the Anvil of Victory.

As you travel and do brave and interesting things, I will award points. This can be stat points, skill points, armour points or weapon points. I may also give out other prizes.

You will only know your stats. You will not know monster stats, DCs, the stats of the other players or any other mechanical info except the stuff you PM me at character creation. You're expected to puzzle it out based on skills used and what happens in the game.

The players are not allowed to PM eachother with ingame info. You can either PM me and have me relay the information or post it in a spoiler tag marked for the other person. I am relying on the Honor System to enforce this and the fact that the game is more fun if you all play by the rules.

This game is based off the SAME system which was designed by Frank Trollman(that is his actual name), one of the writers for the game Shadowrun. Though he lets people use his rules without being cited, I'm still going to give him credit here as these work quite well.
How to Join:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)Step 1: Pick a name and have a basic idea who you are.
Step 2: Distribute points.
Step 3: PM Grek (that's me) with above info.
Step 4: Post in the thread. Don't post your stats.

Grek:
Sample Equipment
Spoiler (click to show/hide)10 points:

Wrestling
Attack: 10
Element: Blood
To Hit: Wits
Damage: Agility

Barrel Attack
Element: Wood
To Hit: Knowledge
Damage: Strength

Pick Attack
Element: metal
To Hit: Agility

-------------

20 points:

Drunken Kung-Fu
Attack: 20
Element: Alcohol

Coins
Element: Blood
To Hit: Knowledge

Turtle Bone Crossbow
Element: Water
Damage: Wits
Range 15
----------------

30 points:

Fireball:
Element: Fire
Damage: Knowledge
AoE 3

Obsidian Sword
Attack: 30
Element: Fire
To Hit: Strength

☼Turtle Bone Crossbow☼
Element: Water
Damage: Wits
Range 15
AoE 3

inaluct:
It seems pretty complicated. I'll probably just watch.

Frelock:
Interesting.  I might join up.  A few questions first, though:

1. How many stat points do you start with?

2. You state that "Soak is equal to 1d20 + Attack's Damage Stat + Armour."  Damage done is "Attack Damage + Damage Stat."  The difference between those two is the actual damage taken.  Now, I have to notice that Damage Stat is added to both soak and damage.  This seems mildly pointless as (a+b)-(c+b)=a-c.  Could you give a sample combat round, perhaps?

3. When creating an attack, does it take only one equipment point to raise attack damage to 21, or do you have to use 20 points to get it to a "normal" attack level first?

4. Alcohol is an element?!  How dwarfy.  So could I, say, have a drunken boxing attack that uses the alcohol element?

I must say, your instructions were very confusing.  I had to read them a few times before I got the gist of it.

Grek:

--- Quote from: Frelock on May 25, 2009, 11:49:00 pm ---Interesting.  I might join up.  A few questions first, though:

1. How many stat points do you start with?
--- End quote ---

Oops. You get 20. Edited in.

--- Quote ---2. You state that "Soak is equal to 1d20 + Attack's Damage Stat + Armour."  Damage done is "Attack Damage + Damage Stat."  The difference between those two is the actual damage taken.  Now, I have to notice that Damage Stat is added to both soak and damage.  This seems mildly pointless as (a+b)-(c+b)=a-c.  Could you give a sample combat round, perhaps?
--- End quote ---

The stat you use to attack is the same stat they use to soak. You will likely have different values for this stat.
Here is a sample fight:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)A swordsman is facing off against a woman with snakes for hair and a deadly gaze, the Swordsman has a stat line of Strength: 7, Agility: 8, Wits 6, Knowledge 7. The swordsman is using a 19 damage weapon and wearing 8 points of armor against Earth effects. The medusa, on the other hand, is attempting to transform the swordsman into a statue with her gaze attack, and using an ability that does a base of 22 points of damage, and has only 5 points of Metal armor. Her stat line is Strength: 6, Agility: 6, Wits 8, Knowledge 8. Ignoring, for the moment, skills and circumstances, we have a situation in which:

When the swordsman attacks the medusa, he rolls a d20 and adds 8 (his agility), attempting to hit the medusa (which he does on a 14, 8 + her agility). If he gets a minimal hit (which he does on a 14 or 15), she suffers 26 damage (19 for the weapon, 7 for the strength, and +0 for the to-hit roll). On a maximum hit (where he gets a 20, she'll take 7 extra damage for a total of 33. In either case, she now rolls a d20 and adds 11 (her strength plus Metal armor), attempting to equal the damage to successfully soak all the wounds. If she fails, she takes 1 wound for every 2 points she misses the damage DC on her soak roll (round wounds up). So if the swordsman rolls a natural 20 on his attack roll and the medusa rolls a natural one on her soak roll, she takes 11 wounds and crumples to the floor - she's down, but not actually dead.

When the medusa attacks the swordsman, she rolls a d20 and adds 8 (her Wits), and is looking for a 14 (8 + the swordsman's Wits). Once again, she scores a minimal hit on a 14 or 15, and a maximum hit on a 28. However, her attack is inflicting 30 to 37 damage (22 + her Knowledge of 8, with up to 7 additional damage coming in from the to-hit roll), and then the swordsman has to soak - which he does with a d20 + 15 (his Earth armor of 8 plus his Knowledge of 7). Again, a 20 on the attack roll and a 1 on the soak roll would incapacitate the poor swordsman.

--- Quote ---3. When creating an attack, does it take only one equipment point to raise attack damage to 21, or do you have to use 20 points to get it to a "normal" attack level first?
--- End quote ---

The second one.

--- Quote ---4. Alcohol is an element?!  How dwarfy.  So could I, say, have a drunken boxing attack that uses the alcohol element?
--- End quote ---
Yes, having drunken boxing that uses Alcohol as it's element is valid.

--- Quote ---I must say, your instructions were very confusing.  I had to read them a few times before I got the gist of it.
--- End quote ---

Sorry about that. If there's anything you would change, I'll edit that into the notepad file I have with the rules and use that for future games if there are any.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version