Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Maximum value of a prepared meal stack  (Read 12949 times)

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
Re: Maximum value of a prepared meal stack
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2009, 05:14:11 pm »

I want to see one of those obscene value roasts sold to the elves. This would ultimately prove, once and for all, if giving the elves large profits will cause them to bring you hundreds of elf-tonnes of rope reed cloth.

As experience from using [NOEAT] dwarves shows, they will. I still had food come in from the caravans, and eventually i made a dwarf cook it all, then offered it all to the elves. Over ☼100,000 worth of food. The next year, they brought me at LEAST 40 screens of cloth.

So, selling one of these roasts would implode your computer the next time the elves arrived.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2009, 06:07:41 pm »

I'm not sure if it's been pointed out, but while this experiment started using an cheat to bring tons of milk on embark, it is in fact entirely possible to do this in a legitimate fortress simply by milking lots of purring maggots and filling 4 barrels to the top with dwarven milk, likely over the course of many years (depending on how many you manage to trap).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2010, 01:57:51 am »

I'm not sure if it's been pointed out, but while this experiment started using an cheat to bring tons of milk on embark, it is in fact entirely possible to do this in a legitimate fortress simply by milking lots of purring maggots and filling 4 barrels to the top with dwarven milk, likely over the course of many years (depending on how many you manage to trap).
Can dwarven milk 'stack' after production?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2010, 05:22:58 am »

Can dwarven milk 'stack' after production?
It's not stacked when you buy it on embark, which is what makes for the godslong ingredientlists. It's in 1-stacks but all in the same barrel.

Also, quick test with proficient cook and max-bought cow milk(yield ~370000☼)vs dwarfmilk (~270000☼)

I had an idea, which was to bring anvil and (hematite+flux+bituminous coal) and a pair of rocks with proficient blacksmith and managed to make all nine steel anvils by the time the caravan arrived...but that was only about 90k☼. (Which is plenty  t obuy out a small caravan) Slightly overcoaled the balance though, so should be would be able to squeeze in one more if I did properly.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2010, 12:26:05 pm »

Got bored and did a few calculations with cheese vs. syrup in an established vanilla fortress.

A stack of dwarven cheese roast maxes out at 82,000 (50 for the meal, 2000 for the ingredients, and 40 in a stack).
A stack of cow cheese roast maxes out at 26,000 (50 for the meal, 600 for the ingredients, and 40 in a stack).
A stack of dwarven syrup roast maxes out at 99,000 (50 for the meal, 400 for the ingredients, and 220 in a stack).

Dwarven cheese roasts are the most efficient means of generating wealth, but you can make only one or two of those a year. Cow cheese roasts are comparatively low value, but require as little infrastructure as dwarven cheese roasts and the ingredients are available twice a year. A maximum-sized stack of syrup roasts will be rare indeed, but for every one of those you can make probably a dozen roasts that are still worth 50 to 75k.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2010, 07:05:46 pm »

Remember you can pad the roasts out. For example with the Cheese roasts, replace some of those Cheese stacks with Quarry Leaves, you'll get butt-tons of roasts, which individually will be lower value, but the stack will be much larger and of greater value in total.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2010, 07:19:10 pm »

So, for the price of one roast, the elves will mobilize their entire civilization to your fortress, bringing every scrap of cloth they've ever seen or imagined, in a caravan that will never be able to trade because the merchants will all be insane by the time the last treehugger arrives.

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2010, 07:25:22 pm »

Making cheese roasts is senseless, because cheese only occurs in small stacks and is fairly hard to get. Quarry bush leaves are useless as a filler. Dwarven syrup has the highest value of all fillers and occurs in stacks as high as 55, when using fertilizer and legendary farmers.

Starting farming immediately after embarking and using proficient farmers and cooks, one can generate lots of wealth before the first caravan arrives.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2010, 11:57:12 pm »

And if you use a bug I discovered that lets you make roasts with at least 5 stacks... ;D
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2010, 11:59:52 pm »

guessing it's like the fruit punch bug?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2010, 12:03:19 am »

I don't know what the fruit punch bug is. This same bug, though, does allow me, without hacking (although I usually use Dwarf Companion to assist), to make artifacts with crazy huge numbers of materials.
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2010, 12:20:02 am »

"dwarf fruit punch" is getting the brewer to do this with the plants, so you get multiple boozetypes in a barrel.

Haven't replicated it yet though...
Tilesets

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2010, 12:31:01 am »

Ahhh, I think that may be the same thing - I've just posted a thread on the bug I was referring to here. I'll go test that with breweries right now.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2010, 01:05:00 am »

This is incredibly awesome.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2010, 01:18:14 am »

To confirm - it does work on breweries. Fruit Punch Ahoy! Got a pic, even. Check the other thread.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5