Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Minimal farm size to feed 200 dwarves

(1/6) > >>

florian:
I have been calculating a lot lately. We all know that the wiki recommends a 5x5 plot for feeding 200 dwarves, but that seems to be too much.

To find out the minimal amount of farm plots necessary, I solved the following equotation:
13 (maximum number of plump helmet harvests per year) * 11 (maximum plant stack size) * 5 (multiplicator for booze making, food is cooked booze) * x (farm plot size) = 200 (number of dwarves) * (4 (number of drinks per season and dwarf) + 2 (number of meals per season and dwarf)) * 4 (number of seasons)

Turns out, x is approximately 6.7. So, the minimal number of farm plots you need to feed a fortress of 200 with Plump Helmets is 7. Make that 8 and you have some reserve. Of course you will need to fully fertilize those farms, but that's only 8 potash per year. And you will need legendary growers.

Any objections? Anybody willing to try this out?

Simmura McCrea:
5X5 for feeding 200 dwarves? I use twice that for a 50 dwarf fort. Plus all the above ground plants adding up to that again. And I empty human and dwarven traders of their food and booze every year.

florian:
What skill levels do your growers have?

DennyTom:
You are telling that 200 dwarves can live from farm field smaller than workshop?

NegaDwarf:
Its even easier to feed dwarves with enough fertilizer. I, sadly, cheat my little dwarfy butt off with smelter reactions these days. I have one that produces 10 potash and I always irrigate my underground farm plots.

Turns out that you can get stacks of 6, 7, 8, and even 9 plants from a good planter and a fully fertilized field.

Its also nice to get about 600 Plump Helmet Spawn through a few years of high demand trading with your dwarfy friends.

Then you can get one planter to Legendary in about one and a half years of having them do nothing but nonstop fertilizing and planting plump helmet spawns nonstop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version