Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Looking for free games  (Read 3738 times)

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
Looking for free games
« on: May 28, 2009, 02:04:38 pm »

I just recently got a new computer, with 1.4 GHz, 768 RAM, and 128 MB VRAM. As such, I'm now looking for games to play on it. I already have the following -

• Dwarf Fortress
    Osu!
    Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
    Iji

Along with four visual novels from Insani, Warcraft III with expansion pack, Morrowind, and Starcraft with expansion. I'm bored out of my mind with these games though, having played them to death. As such I'd like games of these genres -

• RPG
    Roguelike
    Sim
    Visual Novel
    Doujin Soft

-To sate my appetite for gaming. Please recommend as many as possible, or post links to sites that have games that are within these genres. I'm not looking for anything with internet capability, as I don't have a private internet connection.

Thank you in advance.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for free games
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 02:16:33 pm »

After seeing Osu! and Iji, I read that as "I want free games with good music".  Cave Story doesn't fall into any of your genres, but if you haven't played it yet, you should--it's a metroidvaniaish game, good controls, good story, great chiptunes.  Also, Elona falls into your genres (and has its own thread).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 02:32:41 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 02:30:24 pm »

Spelunky is another good free game with it's own thread here, can't think of any others off the top of my head though.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 02:47:23 pm »

Brass Restoration Project: http://yandere.gray7.com/?p=64 Visual Novel.
Touhou: Not free but has very decently sized demos. Masochistic shooter.
Powder: http://www.zincland.com/powder/ Roguelike.
Eternal League of Nefia: http://homepage3.nifty.com/rfish/index_e.html Roguelike.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 02:49:52 pm by Okenido »

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 03:03:27 pm »

Cave Story. Definitely. No computer should lack its glorious installation. Along with Dwarf Fortress.

** In addition, a fun Roguelike / Strategy RPG is Gearhead 1 &/|| 2.  They both feature random plot generation, lots of giant mecha to use, perfectly balanced on-foot fighting (that doesn't feel like an add-on) and they're both totally non-linear. Well, the main plot is fairly non-linear, but you're in a world and can go wherever you wish. There's also alternatives to permadeath and the ability to turn off auto-save (and thus, permadeath.)

Gearhead 1 is older and complete. Gearhead 2 is newer, fancier, but buggier and less complete. Both are extremely fun, and come in Tiled Isometric and ASCII flavors.

http://www.gearheadrpg.com/

A few good memories; modding my Gyro Mace (for on foot) to both be on fire and shoot lasers. A weapon called the "Atomic War Club" that detonates an atomic explosion on impact. Modding my giant Savin mecha to have six wings and be capable of extraordinarily fast flight speed. Taming an army of fire monkeys. Creating a sentient robot that's twice as good at me at everything and has her own mecha. Making a non-sentient robot out of only glue.

** I know you already know about Elona. :D

** Synaesthete is a DigiPen student game of exceptional quality. Essentially a beat/rhythm game with a twist- you move and explore interesting, linear landscapes while fighting off a variety of strange, nightmarish things by using your tracker. It's simple but extremely fun and the music is top-notch.

https://typo3.digipen.edu/index.php?id=986

Also present is very nice poetry between most rooms, that presents a sort of disjointed story or concept according to the level you're in. A fusion of music and magic.

** Lastly, Haxima in the Nazghul engine is a retro computer RPG in the spirit of the Ultima series, particularly Ultima V. Don't let the low version number fool you- it's a long adventure, with an ending, and rock solid all the way through. The design of the world, areas, and enemies put professional game developers to shame. It's probably one of the most well-polished and balanced freeware game I've played, up there with Cave Story.

http://myweb.cableone.net/gmcnutt/nazghul.html

The puzzles are clever and witty. The enemies and dungeons are numerous and captivating. Your allies are actually fairly interesting, and your character is very changeable. Despite its quality it receives apparently little attention. Though, if you didn't like older CRPGs such as Ultima, you're probably not going to enjoy this, as it feels older than it is.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 03:17:52 pm »

I just recently got a new computer, with 1.4 GHz, 768 RAM, and 128 MB VRAM. As such, I'm now looking for games to play on it.

That's all?
My new computer has 2.67 GHz, 3GB RAM, with a NIVIDA GeForce 9500 GT, with three high powered fans.

And its still not good enough for me.

Onto topic..

Hammerfall is fun, make sure to hack it.

Ragnarok Battle Offline might be interesting for you.

Diadra Empty is pretty sweet, it's like a side-view RPG version of Touhou. The bosses are just plain insane though.

Mount&Blade is great fun for awhile.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 03:42:47 pm »

There's a lot of Angband variants you might like.  Zangband and Hengband are good.  Steamband is unbalanced but weird enough to be fun.

DoomRL is fun for a while, it's certainly unusual enough and the mechanics are kinda fun.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 03:51:16 pm »

That's all?
My new computer has 2.67 GHz, 3GB RAM, with a NIVIDA GeForce 9500 GT, with three high powered fans.

Could I afford or have the space for a computer half as good, I would be joyous.

I second Zangband and Hengband. Hengband is particularly interesting, because its classes are far more unique than most *Bands I've played. The ninja can only fight in darkness. The Mirror Master makes and places mirrors to modify his attacks. There's a race called Android that levels up by equipping better items. It's pretty insane.

Then there are pokeballs. Seriously. It's pretty cool. Hard as any other *band, but really fun and new.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 04:20:26 pm »

Downloading Gearhead 1, Powder, and Brass Restoration Project right now, and going to hunt down the others that were mentioned in a bit.

Just tried getting Hengband - can't download it at the original site or anywhere else I've tried, so I'm going to be sending you a PM about it Keiseth.

Steamband and Cave Story are done downloading as well. Trying to find Ragnarok Battle Offline, but all links I find are broken. So Hawkfrost, I'll be sending a PM to you as well.

Since Mount&Blade is not completely free, I'm not downloading it at this time, but I will remember it.

Downloading Diadra Empty as I type, and also got Hammerfall. I have Haxima as well, and now I'm looking for DoomRL, which I will download.

Thanks for the game suggestions. Now to type up those PMs.

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 06:31:43 pm »

Toribash. http://toribash.com/

It's a ragdoll beat them up, but it's really complex and dwarven.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 08:15:49 pm »

Even the demo of Mount & Blade can be fun. Unfortunately, if you directly participate in battles you hit the level cap quickly, but if you simply build an army and use them to attack, you can get quite far before level 7. I actually managed to take a castle with my army of 60 consisting of Hired Blades and I think Nordic infantry.

If your into Multiplayer, the http://www.byond.com/BYOND site offers interesting RP games.

I second DoomRL. Its simple to get into, but insane to beat.

If you haven't tried it lately, Liberal Crime Squad over on the curses forum is fun.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 09:01:33 pm »

In the Point and Click Adventure genre I can only think of: 5 Days a Stranger, 7 Days a Skeptic (I think the names are reversed). They are a bit gory and do contain many "Goodness how was I supposed to know that?" moments but they are the only worthwhile freeware point and clicks I can think of that don't feel like minigames.

My favorite old site for Freeware went down... Ohh Gamehippo. If it was still up I could add more to this since I used to be a Freeware nut and it could list games by rating.

Let me see others.

-N: It is a free puzzle platformer game that can be quite challenging. (there is also a commercial version but there really arn't many differences except graphics)
-Cavestory: A Platform game similar to that of Megaman. A Commercial version is out however the freeware one is just as good. You will need to get an english patch for it though.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 09:06:58 pm »

Hmm...
Can you tell us the lists of INSANI's Visual Novels which you have?

Also, if you haven't got it, I would suggest True Remembrance.
But it seems you have?

BTW, Stepmania.

And I second Touhou Project, of course.
If you are new, I suggest the 7th one, or the 8th one. Named PCB and IN respectively.

(also, play in LUNATIC!)

Cave Story is also good.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 09:18:18 pm »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 09:22:45 pm »

And I second Touhou Project, of course.
If you are new, I suggest the 7th one, or the 8th one. Named PCB and IN respectively.

Yay for Marisa!

Anyway..
Imperishable Night is my fave.

You could also try Eternal Daughter, made by the same person who made Spelunky.

LieroX can be fun to play with friends, with the possible chance of losing those friends.

Prospector(There is a topic for this game here) is one of my favorite rougelikes, check that out.

Try Warning Forever, it's a shoot'em'up where the boss changes to match your strategy.

Infiminer(Also a topic on this) is great if your in a sandboxy mood and want to build stuff.

And finally Survival Crisis Z, which is a zombie survival game.

La Mulana.

Agreed. Completely.
Pages: [1] 2 3