Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Summoned to Darkness: A Threetoe Story  (Read 24115 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Summoned to Darkness: A Threetoe Story
« on: May 30, 2009, 03:03:35 am »

A new story has been posted on the story page.  The 33rd and the longest yet!
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Summoned to Darkness: A Threetoe Story
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 04:13:54 am »

Enjoyed it very much, though towards the end it was sometime unclear who was being referred to during the battles. Or maybe that's because it's 3 am here and I'm tired.

Part of me wonders if adventure mode will ever become remotely close to having such stories being able to be written about your adventurer's exploits. Granted with a bit of imagination...

I'm still holding out for fortress mode skills to be usable in adventurer mode. Combined with a food/cooking overhaul in adventure mode would make DF the best RPG in my eyes.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 05:48:36 am »

Stylish and classic fantasy story.  Moved a little too fast for me, especially in complicated bits like the fight scenes, but the alternative would be a much longer writing.  Noticed a few grammar errors.

I hope some of that wildlife will be represented in the Big Coming Update, like the underground jungle, batmen with mounts, crazy monsters, and giant buffalo.

Best part of course: a geyser of insane dwarven prisoners, raising their shanks to the sky in triumph.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 08:08:16 am »

Yay! New story!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 10:52:16 am »

Indeed, everybody does likes chutes.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 11:05:34 am »

ThreeToe's writing continues to improve.  The use of narrative jump-cuts was slightly jarring in places, but in a way that worked, I think.  Very enjoyable read.  I liked Bram using an eagle corpse as a glider.

Bram and Aliz's worry that the quest was cursed reminded me, from a game mechanics standpoint, of Toady's speculation that red-bearded dwarves might notice that they're being selected against by the player.  There's a notion of people being able to guess at the statistical probability of events they've observed, as well as the good/bad portents of those trends (although it might be hard to find actuarial tables for average giant eagle attacks per quest).

Oh and yeah, we really need prisoners making shivs and planning escapes and revolts.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 11:08:46 am by Footkerchief »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 04:43:42 pm »

I needed annother one of these.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Kennel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 05:02:12 pm »

There's no justice like Dwarven Justice.

The best thing in these stories is that the dwarves are total bastards just like in the game (last time I played, I walled human caravan inside trade depot and released the demons against them).

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 05:20:21 pm »

Great story, as always.

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 11:29:36 pm »

There's no justice like Dwarven Justice.

The best thing in these stories is that the dwarves are total bastards just like in the game (last time I played, I walled human caravan inside trade depot and released the demons against them).
I dunno, it seems like the dwarves who come along with the adventurers are basically just red shirts. So they're just like any other companion in adventure mode.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 03:36:01 pm »

Pretty cool, it read like a fine piece of DF fan-fiction :)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 06:34:23 pm »

This was an amazing story. Hopefully Threetoe can put them out more often, because they're really great. Toady, you have an awesome co-designer.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 06:33:28 pm »

wow, that was effing-metal.  i thought the pacing was just right.

i think the events in the beginning deserve further analysis though:

- drunken and disorderly is a crime

- non-fatal fights with guards when tantruming

- ability for authority figures to call for order, stop fighting.

- ability for authority figures to pardon criminals when they have work for them (avoid justice by signing up for a quest)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 07:01:57 pm »

Keep in mind that they do these analyses on all of ThreeToe's stories, so they seem to be aiming to pick out the new concepts in each story.  Non-fatal fights have definitely come up before.  The others might be new, though.

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 08:26:34 pm »

An earlier poster mentioned the other dwarven prisoners being red shirts.  I do think that this is a very important distinction between the historically memorable characters from enlisted and conscripted companions.

I truly enjoyed the depth of deception by the wizard, but I definitely felt that the evil god was still too good.  I was almost convinced that he might have actually intended to honor his end of the bargain!  True wickedness have made up a contract with a mortal without plan B, C, D, E, and F betrayal opportunities.  William had his task cut out _way_ too easy.  Perhaps the God's opportunity to remain in the world without some form of human host is to destroy the hosts mortal coil with some accursed object.  The deity might be weakened from some such event, but he would no longer require the service of his minion to remain in this world.  Maybe the supposedly promised sacrifice of the other adventurers was merely entertainment?  Somehow, a dark god should be dispicably evil and perverse, beyond the realm of any idealist to contemplate the question of his nature.

I truly enjoyed the aspect that the forest spirit was leading the elf to certain doom.  He fully expected her to perish in the hands of the other god.  Perhaps some alien pact was struct between the two divine beings:  the elf was to undergo a test and trial beyond anything the forest spirit could use to test her, and perhaps the dark god was absolving some esoteric debt or agreement with the forest spirit?  We mere mortals can not fathom the realm of interaction between the divine, much less those of differing natures.

As for Bram, that boy is a drunken fratboy troublemaker in a loincloth.  The king was obviously sending to his death just to get him out of his hair for some time, but not expecting it to really kill him.  By now, Bram has been on 7 or 8 missions of certain peril, and not a single one has gotten rid of him yet!  Curses!!!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 08:29:41 pm by chucks »
Computer says 'No'.
Pages: [1] 2