Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarf-less  (Read 6506 times)

McSmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf-less
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2009, 05:29:22 pm »

Lots of dwarf rug rats running around = meat shields for your Champions. Recruit 2 females as your military and hope they get knocked up early. Those goblins love to kick babies halfway across the map, which is a good way to get an enraged mother to tear apart a siege single-handedly. This will however make increasing your population difficult.
Engraved on the wall is a masterfully designed image of elves. The elves are weeping.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2009, 05:40:58 pm »

I think you'd need a few blobs of fat, some chunks, some bones, and maybe a hide (untanned of course). Then you'd put them in there, and out pops a vermin dwarf.
You forgot to add a barrel to hold all that alcohol.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 10:08:47 pm »

Man, now I really want the history seeds.  One of the things I most want to do is seal up without caravans, liaisons, nor pesky migrants trying to break in.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 10:41:01 pm »

I genned a world and stopped it at year 4.

I'm in year 7 now and have over 1 million dwarfbucks wealth but have only gotten the dungeon master.

Caravans are still really nice but no nobles is a very good thing.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2009, 03:01:35 am »

I genned a world and stopped it at year 4.

I'm in year 7 now and have over 1 million dwarfbucks wealth but have only gotten the dungeon master.

Caravans are still really nice but no nobles is a very good thing.

How's that supposed to work? One would think that stuff like a civ's "ruling class" would sort of be hard-coded instead of having to develop over time.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2009, 03:12:54 am »

so wheres the seeds?

Man, now I really want the history seeds.

The Bronze Gates is the dwarven civilization I was talking about. These parameters in vanilla DF.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LostNumber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2009, 07:46:56 pm »

so wheres the seeds?

Man, now I really want the history seeds.

The Bronze Gates is the dwarven civilization I was talking about. These parameters in vanilla DF.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can't seem to get these working...any advice?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2009, 11:43:57 pm »

Hmm. Not really, as I haven't modded my game in any way. Maybe you aren't using the exact same version as me?

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2009, 08:40:36 am »

It seems you're right... damn, I had lots of nice things at the fort. I guess I'll make a new world and start again.
Don't. Let your Dwarves procreate and thus create a fort of 200 Dwarves.
extreme incest

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2009, 08:56:50 am »

I don't think incest would really damage a dwarven offspring that much... they're already so... eccentric. :D
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2009, 09:33:04 am »

I don't think incest would really damage a dwarven offspring that much... they're already so... eccentric. :D
I believe over a few generations of incest, Dwarven beards would evolve in such a way that Dwarves are little more than hairballs...

snuflufagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2009, 10:23:30 am »

Actually, I had a similar situation in which all the Mountainhomes had been wiped out in worldgen, but somehow the king had survived.  In my case, I received migrants, nobles, king, and caravans (but no dwarf liaison) and built up a fortress of over 200 strong on the glacier.

The more interesting things happened after abandoning that fortress.  Since there were no Mountainhomes, I couldn't embark as a dwarf adventurer, so I hit "play now" as a human.  It took around ten minutes to load that first adventurer, and it turned out it was because the fortress was descending into chaos!  All the snow that had perpetually blanketed the glacier and tundra miraculously melted, flooding the land in 1/7; huge sections of surface and subsurface glacier liquified, caving in tunnels and leaving a once level surface as jagged and unnegotiable; and many of the captives of the former fortress ran free to cause mischief, with naked elves babbling on the permafrost and a pissed off dragon and a goblin-raised human pikemaster slaying one another in the former zoo!  That first adventurer met her end while ascending out of the forge with liberated arms, clothing, and armor when an entire wall of ice decided to melt and refreeze with her in it.

When I finally got around to exploring the world map, I discovered another thing.  I originally settled on a glacier surrounded by forests, hills, and plains with orcish towers to the north and east, interspersed with the blasted ruins of some failed human civilization.  What I discovered instead were what looked to be human cities of varying populations, the largest at capitol size.  As I approached one of the smaller towns, all I saw were ruined houses.  Deeper into that waste, I began running into human and dwarvish merchants.  Did they make a merchant camp?  I set out for the capitol, and there amongst the shattered buildings were dwarves!  My dwarves!  Warriors and workers and king, all together, reviving an ancient civilization!  Well, maybe not that since every dwarf claimed that he wasn't home yet and none of the buildings were rebuilt, but it did have the stark atmosphere of a refugee camp - dwarfmen and dwarfmaids with no place to go, trying to make the best of the situation. 

It made me wish that I could resume the worldgen to see if they could accomplish anything there.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2009, 10:35:37 am »

The ability to resume worldgen would be much appreciated. Potential for awesome!!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 2 [3]