Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting in Mountain tiles?  (Read 2131 times)

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
Starting in Mountain tiles?
« on: May 31, 2009, 01:56:24 am »

Is there any way to make it so you can start in a map with nothing but mountain tiles?
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Starting in Mountain tiles?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 01:57:47 am »

Look on the wiki, there's a utility that lets you embark ANYWHERE. Like, in the ocean. Or the mountains, if you're the boring type.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Cogsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 02:57:43 am »

I would not advise trying to embark on nothing BUT ocean. Last time I checked it spends ages trying to find someplace to put your wagon.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 05:37:12 am »

I would not advise trying to embark on nothing BUT ocean. Last time I checked it spends ages trying to find someplace to put your wagon.
I dunno what it would be looking for.  Passing whale, p'haps?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 08:00:53 am »

Wait, you can't embark on only mountain tiles? Since when?

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 08:42:06 am »

I dunno what it would be looking for.  Passing whale, p'haps?
Urist: Everybody into THE WAGON!! DIVE DIVE!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 10:09:22 am »

Wait, you can't embark on only mountain tiles? Since when?

Since forever.  If your embark site contains only "mountain" biomes, the "e" for Embark is not highlighted/activated - it is, literally, a non-starter.  No plants, no embark. (With vanilla DF, anyway.)

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 10:11:55 am »

i think you can't embark on mountains because then caravans/migrants wouldn't be able to access your fortress (if they (or sometime in the future will) follow the same laws as player characters on world map).
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 11:43:01 am »

Embark anywhere WILL let you embark on mountains, but then you get a NO TRADE on any friendly civs on the status screen. If you try to embark on a regular site with embark anywhere, it'll still give you the NO TRADE thing.