Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Aqizzar's Automatic Annihilation Ængine  (Read 11193 times)

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Aqizzar's Automatic Annihilation Ængine
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 12:52:41 pm »

The best solution to your first situation is solved if just use sliding accuracy based on distance and terrain between the two.

I like this game idea. Sounds like Diplomacy... without the diplomacy.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 04:08:18 pm »

Been ignoring this for a few days, but I've got the time to invest in it now.  A few things.

I like the idea of accuracy based on distance.  With hexes that's a lot easier to eyeball than inches.  To keep out too much weirdness like targets moving out of range, ranged weapons will just have realistically generous maximum ranges.  Though really shot weapons like throwing knives are hard to place then.

My basic idea for a stat system is, stats are made from a roll-over base+roll.  Say two models are beating each other up, using practically universal Strength and Toughness stats.  Ignoring how they're actually hitting each other, their attacks are made as (Attacker's Strength stat + 1d6) vs (Defender's Toughness + 1d6).  And everything else just kind of follows from there.

As there are no distinct Action or Movement phases, there's no need to distinguish between them.  Units have a Speed they move at, but also some kind of Action stat, which determines how many times a turn a model can do stuff, be it running, attacking, or otherwise.  For most models Action is just 2 - run and shoot, shoot and retreat, run like hell, or dig in and really shoot.  Ponderous units like zombies would have 1 Action, anything more than 2 or 3 would be pretty Heroic.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 04:11:17 pm »

I would play.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 06:54:12 pm »

dat game. I'd play dat.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 03:30:13 pm »

I've never played before, but I am intrigued with the idea of creating our units.

That way, we would have CREATIVITY, instead of BASING our game off of EXISTING BACKSTORIES *glares at certain forum-members*

The fact that the turn-based system is gone is also fantastic, making the game more realistic.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 02:23:57 am »

This sounds pretty cool.
You should also use hit zones instead of hitpoints. That's pretty much what DF has. Hitpoints are unrealistic and annoying. I like being able to die instantly if an arrow pierces my heart or brain.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 04:19:42 pm »

So, Aqizzar, is this happening?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 04:25:26 pm »

Uh... yes?

I haven't any free time to actually look at this damn thing.  I sorta ran out of steam typing the proposal, but there's no reason to let the idea languish.  I'm just not sure where exactly to start.

Basically, I need to hammer down the actual combat mechanics, make sure they at least move from one turn to the next, then lay down some rules on how to handle each turn.  Only then can the tastier stuff like stats and so forth be handled.  Right now, it's just an idea with no rules.  Don't think my name in the title means you can't speak up.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 04:27:31 pm »

Question:
Are there any stats?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 04:32:45 pm »

Why wouldn't, nay, how could there not be stats?  Without stats, you're playing Yahtzee with figurines.

I don't know how to handle any of that or what they are yet.  That's what I'm saying.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 04:34:12 pm »

Why wouldn't, nay, how could there not be stats?  Without stats, you're playing Yahtzee with figurines.

I don't know how to handle any of that or what they are yet.  That's what I'm saying.
Other than what you have said, what do you have? And where do you need help?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 04:42:21 pm »

Everywhere.  That's where help is needed.  Stats off the top of my head are-

Action - How many actions a model can perform each turn; two for most fighters.
Movement - How many hexes a model can travel in one action.
Initiative - How likely a model will react meaningfully in a situation the orders don't cover.
Logic - How skilled that reaction will be (say shooting the most dangerous target instead of spraying fire).
Some kind of accuracy stats for ranged and close combat weapons.
Toughness to shrug off damage, maybe modified by armor instead of being separated.
I prefer the simplicity of Warhammer's very few Wounds system for tracking model hits.
Strength might be rolled into a general close combat ability.  I had a possible idea for strength governing carry-weight and suchlike for weapons, but that raises too many sticky questions about technical details to keep.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 04:46:32 pm »

Everywhere.  That's where help is needed.  Stats off the top of my head are-

Action - How many actions a model can perform each turn; two for most fighters.
Movement - How many hexes a model can travel in one action.
Initiative - How likely a model will react meaningfully in a situation the orders don't cover.
Logic - How skilled that reaction will be (say shooting the most dangerous target instead of spraying fire).

Some kind of accuracy stats for ranged and close combat weapons.
Toughness to shrug off damage, maybe modified by armor instead of being separated.
I prefer the simplicity of Warhammer's very few Wounds system for tracking model hits.
Strength might be rolled into a general close combat ability.  I had a possible idea for strength governing carry-weight and suchlike for weapons, but that raises too many sticky questions about technical details to keep.
First I need help understanding these two, if you could try to explain them to me.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2009, 07:49:44 pm »

Well, I said that the crux of the rules is that both armies move simultaneously.  Players give orders to each unit or squad or whatever each turn, but if the unit runs into a situation that it's orders don't cover (target gone, ambushed, other stuff), it then has to act on it's own.  Initiative measures a model's ability to jump into action, Logic covers had competent that action is.

Say two units blunder into each other, a pack of Sabretooth Tigers and a squad of Dwarven Machinegunners.  The tigers would probably react first, leaping at the dwarves as animals do; while the dwarves would react with better strategy, shooting the leader or forming a defensive line.  A model with low scores in both would be dimwitted like an ogre and in need of good supervision, while some Elven SEALs would have high scores in both and could confidently be left to their own devices.  Obviously, reactions would rarely be automatic, relying on rolls, then tables or suchlike.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2009, 10:07:29 pm »

are you going to want to model morale and organization into the units? such that as a fight wears on a unit may lose heart and quit the field, or become so disorganized it is unable to move around the battlefield effectively until it is given a chance to reorganize?
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11