Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Community challenges...?  (Read 731 times)

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Community challenges...?
« on: May 31, 2009, 11:54:48 am »

I'm quite new here, and don't follow this section of the forum much, but has anyone ever organized a system of weekly community challenges?  Something along the lines of "Here's a seed, start at this site, defeat a megabeast in one week without cutting down trees."

People can then post their victories or failures in the thread and the truly great DFers can be weeded out   ;D
The weak who disappoint Armok (like myself) can then get a glimpse of good tactics and strategies .
I just thought that this might provide a good motivation to keep people playing and provide regular goal orientated play... it seems I spend more time reading about the game than playing it at the moment!
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Community challenges...?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 05:49:48 pm »

There was a challenge thread in which someone would post a challenge and the first person to beat it and provide proof would post a new challenge, but that died.

Another thread had a succession game with fairly undefined turns; person would post the save, and the first person to post a story about the completion of a megaproject with that save would be author of the cannon story for that part of the game.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 05:10:06 pm »

I suggest a challenge: burn the world.

must be done on a particularly dangerous savage level map, either with elehants, unicorns, or skeletal elphants/whales.

GruffyBears

• Bay Watcher
  • Prodigal
    • View Profile
    • Creature Club Podcast
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 07:23:40 pm »

GruffyBears agrees with these sentiments.
I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
- T.S Eliot