Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wagons. Are. Awesome.  (Read 5733 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Wagons. Are. Awesome.
« on: May 31, 2009, 06:10:17 pm »

So, I am playing my latest fortress... And I get a message: "Snatcher! Protect the children!" The camera zooms over to the goblin, who was discovered by a dwarven trading caravan on its way to my depot. I unpause the game, and next thing I see, the goblin is dead, run over by the wagon. So... When do we get player controlled wagons/bulldozers?  ;D I think I would like to order about 100 of them.

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
Re: Wagons. Are. Awesome.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 06:19:13 pm »

Hopefully we get them with the advanced army.
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 07:29:36 pm »

Urist Mcwagondriver has been ecstatic recently. He was caught in the rain recently. He slept in an awful room recently. He lost a loved one recently. He ran down someone he had a grudge on recently.

::)
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 02:25:55 am »

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 02:47:00 am »

It's a shame that wagons explode at the sight of dreaded sea foam.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Da King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 03:59:11 pm »

If only an entire fortress could be built on wheels....

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 04:02:24 pm »

I think we will have to wait for vehicles to be implmented for that...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 04:07:24 pm »

I think it would be much more dwarven to, instead of just building generic vehicles, to have new "wheel" and "sail" buildings, so you can do all sorts of awesome stuff.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 04:10:33 pm »

I think it would be much more dwarven to, instead of just building generic vehicles, to have new "wheel" and "sail" buildings, so you can do all sorts of awesome stuff.
Windsurfing crossbowdwarves?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 05:24:41 pm »

Ya, by hooking up perpetual motion machines and computing devices... You would quite literally be able to build programmable robots. Although they would be similar in size to transformers.  ;D

Wow... Awesome mental image.
"A vile force of darkness has arrived!"
Then a big, multistory robot on wheels is uncovered from its vault deep in the mountain... It slowly moves out of the pre-dug tunnels built specifically for it... The player, via their complex computing system built to control it, moves it towards the unsuspecting goblin seige... The player then pulls a lever, shifting power from the perpetual motion machine away from the wheels and to the internal pumps, releasing the magma from the large, dwarf shaped robot's backpack out and onto the goblins. The remaining goblins (if there are any) flee into the woods, returning home to tell the tale of the terrors of dwarven engineering... The robot is them directed back to its holding vault, to refill with magma and power down until it is next needed.  ;D EPIC. So... who wants to summarize that and put it in suggestions?

Edit: seems someone already has suggested it a few months ago!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 05:30:40 pm by alway »

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 05:26:46 pm »

Right, we really need machine parts that can move constructed walls, floors, etc. Not just wheels, an entire fortress on legs would be much more dwarven!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 05:30:19 pm »

Except legs are hard to program... Especially the way this game is currently made.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 08:09:06 pm »

This seems more like a idea of a WHEELEd robot. Movable tiles, essentially. Seems doable.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 09:01:22 pm »

Ballista wagon tanks, perhaps?  Although a ballista on a wagon...without armor, that'd actually be more like an artillery field piece.

Being Dwarves, you need one that's both Wheeled and Sailed, of course.  Can't let that pasty elf Elric be the only one who's ridden the pimp shipmobile.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 11:18:28 am »

WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: [1] 2 3