Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Asheron's stories thread - the sequel is here! -  (Read 2260 times)

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
Asheron's stories thread - the sequel is here! -
« on: June 01, 2009, 10:01:26 am »

It has been some time since I've wrote, but I suddenly felt a need to write. I'm pretty sure there are some mistakes in the following story ( which is also quite short ), and it could probably be better, but ah well. Enough of me making excuses for if you wouldn't like my story, here is it!

A battle of Red and Blue

Blue glared across the blank slate that was the battlefield. Blue had prepared it's forces, once again, for yet another battle.
The troops stood ready and in formation. An entire repertoire had been arranged for this battle. X's and Y's, ='s and =/='s, -'s and +'s. From every corner of Blue's mind had they marched to this battlefield to fight once again with Blue's archenemy, Red.
Last time, they had suffered a terrible defeat at the hand of Red. This time, however, they would win.
They had occupied the most important bottlenecks and the highest points on the nearly uniformly white battlefield. Difficult choices had been made and questions had been answered. It was now time for the showdown.
Red appeared at the horizon. Lines, circles and squares had gathered around him. The very sight of them was one that would make men flee, but his forces knew better. They stood a chance.
For a few moments, the battlefield was silent. Nervously, the troops stared at eachother, wondering who would kill who and who would survive.
The silence was broken by a thundering blast as Red stomped on the battlefield. Red's troops charged and swarmed and swirled around Blue's carefully placed positions. The soldiers of Red spilled inkt as if it were blood when they clashed with Blue's soldiers.
The swarms of Red were unendless. Some of Blue's formations cracked under the constant pressure of Red's thundering waves, other seemed almost immune. The battlefield was soon coloured with blood both red and blue. Almost everywhere, the colours had mixed in to a purplish shade, but on a few rare places, the colour of Blue has still survived and was yet untouched by Red.
The battle lasted no longer then a few minutes, and it ended suddenly. The battlefield, once a perfect field of peacefulness, was now a ravaged place. A twisting and turning pattern of red and blue buried the once white earth, symbols and letters, the corpses of heroic soldiers, were spread all around.
The teacher carefully examined the remnants of the battlefield, searching for mistakes he had passed over during the battle.
With a sigh, he once again wielded his red weapon, and he spilled yet more blood as he wrote on the very bottom of the sheet of paper;
"Come see me after class!"
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 09:58:32 am by Asheron »

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I started writing again. :)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 01:43:57 pm »

Constructive criticism or wittyness is encouraged, by the way.

Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 05:31:17 pm »

I want this as a game.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 08:19:13 pm »

I really liked it, and found the note at the end amusing.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 08:35:47 pm »

Whee!

I'll have a nice, long critique for you at some point.  :)
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 09:23:18 am »

I want this as a game.
I haven't thought of that. Yes, it would make for an awesome game. 

I really liked it, and found the note at the end amusing.
Thanks!

Whee!

I'll have a nice, long critique for you at some point.  :)
Alright. I look forward to your critique. :D

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 07:10:15 pm »

Alrighty then. I feel like I could have done more with this but I'm trying to get better at budgeting my time.

My main advice here would be to be clear before clever. There is a tendency when we write to try and make it interesting, to punch the language up a notch  to make it stand out. Really good writing, though, is actually about clarity of expression. Fiction shines when the reader can easily and intuitively understand what is happening.

If you keep writing (and you should since imagination is really half of it.) try typing things out in a more factual way. Let me give you two phrases as an example.

"Ronald grasped the silvery bar and pressed the button therein gaining access to the saffron portal of the conveyance to bear him to his post."

Or

"Ron grabbed the handle of the door to the yellow taxicab. He was on his way to work."

The first looks pretty fancy, and nine out of ten readers will probably be able to figure it out given enough time. The second is plain but the meaning is much more obvious. A reader doesn't have to stop and figure out what the words mean since they're written in plain, unembellished English.

This makes me think of a space shooter type flash game where you play as, and shoot at, drawings on lined paper. I wish I remembered the name. It was pretty fun.

Alright, gonna put the more specific commentary behind a spoiler.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 10:13:18 pm »

Dude, how do you even have the time to write that let alone use the brainpower required to pass over this long critique with seemingly no effort whatsoever?

I think he's a teacher.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 10:28:24 pm »

Wait a second... Did Geometry just kill Algebra?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 05:43:36 am »

Thank you, Awayfarer. There's some good advice in there.

Wait a second... Did Geometry just kill Algebra?
They killed eachother. Mathematical subjects are very vicious.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 06:47:35 pm »

I think he's a teacher.

More like a senior English major with a decent GPA.  :)

And yeah, math is brutal. Want a 16 page paper Shakespeare's most oft-used puns? No problem. Want me to solve for "x"? Um, you're gonna have a bit of a wait on your hands. How I mine for "x"?

Sad thing is I have one more class before I graduate, and it is a math course. My current school didn't accept the math credits I transferred from my previous one.  :-\

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 10:17:43 pm »

I can help with math! (well, some of it.)

@Asheron: Can you write a sequel? I am dying to hear more.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 11:05:14 am »

I can help with math! (well, some of it.)

@Asheron: Can you write a sequel? I am dying to hear more.
Hmmm. I think I might have an idea for a sequel, though it won't be for today or tomorrow until I write it out.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 12:25:34 pm »

Alright, solve this(Try to imagine the numbers in subscript, some computers don't pick it up.):

(2C4 3C6)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 11:23:57 pm »

solve for what? C?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: [1] 2