Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29

Author Topic: SparkGear 2 - Balls of Steel (*deader than a ... something really dead*)  (Read 89578 times)

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile

After the phenomenal success [1] of SparkGear I've decided to start a new one.
We totally owned the previous map.
After a humongous pile of adamantite, a dead king
and some UNFORGIVABLE ART VANDALISM
we were left with a map with unplayable fps.
But the masses hunger for more, as they always do,
so I present to you without further ado;

SparkGear 2
-Balls of Steel-

Yes folks, once wasn't enough. We're back.

For you newcomers, SparkGear is a bloodline game. But not just any bloodline game. In SparkGear, we don't play nice. We don't take our time, no one year turns. In here, we do it by the clock. One turn, one twenty-four hour period. During that time you can play as much as you want.
There is only one rule: Don't talk about If your save isn't ready for the next guy at 22:00 GMT [2] sharp, YOU FUCKING LOSE. The next guy will steal your save and all your hard work will be chasm'd. That's right. 24 hours. Except for me, I'm only spending two hours. I'm that awesome.

So, ladies, sign up is this way. First two weeks are open, we'll extend the time as we get nearer. All dates are June, of course.

Day     Player    (Totally relevant notes)
       1.       Nahkh
       2.       abculatter_2
       3.       Marko
       4.       Yaddy1 (Marko extended his turn and Demonic Spoon started early)
       5.       Demonic Spoon
       6.       eerr
       7.       ArkDelgato (If you touch my pyramid I FUCKING SWEAR [...])
       8.       Cruxador   (no-show)
       9.       Nil
       10.      Brendan   (Fort too heavy for this lightweight contestant)
       11.      Fault
       12.      Abculatter_2 crash2455 BONUS ROUND!
       13.      Demonic Spoon
       14.      RavingManiac
       15.      whoever this is supposed to be.
       16.      Skid
       17.      Marko
       18.      crash2455
       19.      Yaddy1
       20.      Barbarossa the Seal God
    ->21.      Nahkh / Demonic Spoon
       22.      Katsuun
       23.      Demonic Spoon
       25.      crash2455
       26.      nil
       27.      Nahkh

Here is a picture of the entrance in all its glory
(in other words before it's inevitably fucked up by incompetent nitwits)

For those of you who HAVEN'T SEEN THE GLORY THAT IS SPARKGEAR, here's a link:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=35238.0

[1] = For a limited amount of success, and for a given definition of phenomenal
[2] = Don't know your time zone? Fuck you.
http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/gmt-converter.htm
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 06:12:58 pm by nahkh »
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: SparkGear 2 - Balls of Steel (*inquire within*)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 12:52:27 pm »

Sign me up for whenever Nahkh. Also, lol.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 01:54:24 pm »

Within a tattered diary.

Herein are detailed the gruesome fates inflicted upon me, the illustrious Nahkh the Magnificent. 'tis a Most Cruel Thing, an artist like myself in exile. After they banished me from the mountainhomes I vowed to Show Them who's the greater artist. And I did so with flourish. The Skull of Sages at the entrance of SparkGear was truly a wonder to behold. Alas. After we struck that accursed adamantite my little kingdom was taken over by upstart "nobles" and "kings". BAH. They allowed those IMPUDENT FOOLS to wreck my great artistry. And when the last remnants of my great work collapsed on some hapless fool they had the AUDACITY to blame me. I can barely believe it. But it cannot be helped I suppose. To exile I go once more. This time we're located near the edge of a mountain range (I forget the name. Butt-end of nowhere by any measure), near a forest that's reputedly haunted. I don't hold much stock for such rumors, but my servants are getting restless as we near the place. I've overheard mutterings of The Great Horrors in the forest. Tsk.

Addendum: Damnation! Many of the servants have fled during the night! Now how are we going to move all this equipment? Blast. Well, we're pretty close to our destination, so the damage is minimal. Looks like I may have to do some menial work to prevent complete loss of morale. Woe.

Here's a rough rendition of our starting location, viewed from the perennial elfs-eye perspective.

As you can see, it's not much to look at. Yet. I've ordered the miners to entrench a nearby hillock for defense. This forest worries me.

The initial phases of the construction are going well, and I'm already forming a new vision of a masterpiece. A more lasting kind this time.
Hmm. It almost seems like something is moving in the woods. Must be my imagination.

EDIT: Fuckit. I'm gonna cheat. Save will be available at 22 GMT.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:46:25 pm by nahkh »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 03:53:45 pm »

I do have this nice little 3x3 map with a magma pipe and cave river if you want to use it.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 04:16:58 pm »

save: http://rapidshare.com/files/239741413/SparkGear2.7z.html
map: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5952-sparkgeartheballsofsteel
Goddamnit uploads :/

I have a 3x3 map with magma pool, underground river and HFS. Plus a haunted tropical forest.

Within a tattered diary

Work has been progressing well. We've laid the foundations of the Spherical Pyramid, as show.

Later marking
Today our progress was halted by a group of marauding mandrills. I didn't hear of their presence until I saw this on my desk.
Attached is a piece of paperwork from the fort

I was furious when I found my way outside only to find the mandrills STILL PILLAGING. Only a True Idiot would observe mandrills stealing valuable fort goods, then calmly submit paperwork about it. Sounding an alarm might be in order? Damn these fools. Gods why do you curse me so?

Oh well. At least the miners were quick to dispatch the problematic plunderers.

Sometime after the traders had come and gone we had us some "immigrants". Do the bloody fools think I, I, wouldn't recognize them after a paltry year? It's most of my servants, who dared abandon me here. The wilderness wasn't to your liking? Well poor you. MAY LICE EAT YOUR BEARD CLEAN OFF.
I had them all grab stones and start building. With the added workforce the pyramid is being finished with great rapidity. The Twin Obelisks, made of the finest microcline, are also nearing completion.

Final entry
At last! My newest work is done! I must say, while it certainly isn't my greatest work it is, ehm, my greatest extant work. May it last for generations to come!

« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 06:06:48 pm by nahkh »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 04:37:43 pm »

sign me up for a new strike on the earth!, (or two, at this rate)

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 04:54:37 pm »

If you can do it. I don't recommend obsidian production though, it's a finite pool.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 04:55:27 pm »

Sign me up for 7.
I can't wait to fuck up that pyramid.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 05:04:05 pm »

If you can do it. I don't recommend obsidian production though, it's a finite pool.

I'll try to do it on my turn, but i think it's a bit too early...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 05:10:08 pm by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 05:51:20 pm »

I'll take the 10th. I probably wouldn't get much done on the 8th or 9th.

Also: GMT fuck yes.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 06:10:20 pm »

*Within a near-by journal*

I've arrived to a fortress in a well-enough state, though it's rather sprawled and haphazard. All the stockpiles (most importantly, the food stockpile) are outside and the lodgings are minimal, both of which I'll need to fix. Also, the last leader had begun stockpiling wooden pipes for some reason...

I've added a new bedroom/food stockpile in the mountain.

It needs a bit of cleaning up though...

One of the dwarves has begun calling himself "Brak Obama". Apparently, it's some kind of gag, but I think he's just crazy.

I've also begun work on our fortress' defenses. The main area will be easy enough to defend, but I don't know about that pyramid...

We need bauxite.

I've finished the wall and moat for the main area, the moat should fill up with the next rain.

Elves. Of course, I have nothing to trade. Should I kill them and take their stuff, or let them go on their merry way?
I let the elves go... for now.

I've begun adding fortifications above the fortress walls and making it more secure.

Migrants. Let's see what they've got...

A dyer, a brewer, a potash maker, a metalsmith, a cook and 3 peasents. This brings our fortress' population to 22.

Construction of the fortifications is complete, drawbridges have been made and linked (all levers and drawbridges have been labeled and the note symbol matches on the levers that open the bridges), and the fortress is now a right and proper fortress. I've also begun building a few crossbows and bone bolts for training up a few of the peasants (and maybe that potash maker...).

I've begun exploratory mining, and have so far uncovered two wax opal clusters and two gold veins.

More migrants! Must be from the shittons of gold I just mined...

A peasant, an armorer, a baby cow, another peasant, a cheese maker, a wood burner, yet another peasant, and a fish cleaner. Our population is now 30.

we now have 2 full-time marksdwarves. I have an archery range set up for them, just need to make some quivers for them...

Found the underground river! ... and aperently it's infested with hordes of vicious monsters. Better wall that up till the marksdwarves get their quivers.

The wood burner has been possessed! Let's see what he makes...

Wonder how much it's worth...

I'm going to make a golden monument. What it'll be, I have no idea.

Hmmm... a strangler appeared and killed our legendary miner after he fell asleep right in front of it...
ZOMG MEMORY ALLOCATION ERROR! Good thing I saved! I need to go to bed anyway. I'll continue tomorrow then post up the save.

So, I'm going to begin construction of the big lava-spewing dragon on a convenient  ledge on the spherical pyramid. Problem is, I don't have enough charcoal, and making the charcoal is horribly inefficient anyway. So, I've decided to start using some of that magma and create a magma metalworks. With proper safety precautions, of course.

Outpost liaison! And this time, we have gold!

Construction of the metalworks has been delayed due to fire imps. They should be dealt with soon enough.

Well, the fire imps have been less-then-cooperative (who knew they were too smart to blindly walk into the waiting jaws of a cage trap?) so I've decided to simply make the metalworks with them still around. I've made sure that the only entrance they can use is covered with traps.

The mtalworks is complete! Now to begin gold production...

An ambush! Curse them!

The herbalist has been taken by a strange mood.

Well, that's certainly unique. I wonder how he/she fit all that on there...

Well, at any rate, it's rather valuable apparently:

The ambushers have been killed or driven off by our two miners! They are now the fort's official Badasses! Though we lost four dwarves who were too stupid to just go inside.

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD THE BOOZE IS GONE OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD

Another elven caravan.

Our marksdwarf is going on a tamtrum! Carp, we need booze!!

It's okay, everything is alright. The booze is now flowing freely. Yay booze!

The dragon head is nearly complete. However, we do not have the bauxite necessary to pump the lava up to it, so someone else will have to do that. I also lack valuable enough gems and a gemcutter to make the gemstone eyes, so I'm making the pupils obsidian instead.

More migrants! I don't feel like listing their professions, but they now bring our fortress' population to 39!

The dragon head is almost done! we just have to add a few more blocks and remove some of the scaffoldi

*The last letter trails off the page, and there are a few droplets of blood on the bottom*
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 04:35:53 pm by abculatter_2 »

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 06:32:33 pm »

Brak? My avatar sees what you did there.

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 12:42:58 am »

needs more giant skull!

PS: if you two don't mind, leave housing to me, I'll make a nice efficient living quarters system the envy of all the realm.
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 02:09:42 am »

Sign me up for turn 14!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 04:47:14 am by RavingManiac »
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29