Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ugoshberul: The Hollow-Bastion  (Read 788 times)

Landstradd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ugoshberul: The Hollow-Bastion
« on: June 01, 2009, 08:58:41 pm »

I'm making my very first Community fortress. I have some rather grand plans... Of course I'm going to need six volunteers at first. I should note I make heavy use Dwarf Companion. So the very first characters, and maybe one or two in each immigrant wave, will be customized.
----------------------------------
Here I am, Landstradd Lastblade... Setting up shop in the middle of the freaking desert. I should have never let myself run out of money for booze. I do crazy things when I'm sober... How the heck did I land myself in this?

I had been called back to the Mountainhome, our great monarch had desired a meeting in person. I lead a small but prosperous settlement. The report didn't take long, and since I dispise court functions, I went off to enjoy the splendor of the city. After about a week I ran out of coin, and started wandering around in search of free booze.

I came to in a cell. It was made entirely of natural obsidian... and it was cleaner than most of the other inn rooms I'd been in... must be in the palace proper. And in the corner was a barrel... I stuck my head in it and filled myself with booze. As I caught my breath, a guard came into sight... Armok, please let whoever that is have a clue about what I've done.

All I'm going to ask is at least one character volunteer for an old friend/guard. If I can't get someone to do that, I'm only going to take the first five, and anyone after will have to wait for the first wave. The opening story will continue after I see if I can get the old friend/guard.
Sample Application:
Desired Name: Urist WhiteBlack (If you give words that aren't in the language files for the last name, I'll get as close as possible)
Desired Skills: Mining and Masonry (Try not to double up on stuff that isn't import early)
Desired Title: Stone Dude (Anything goes here, within reason.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 10:55:44 pm by Landstradd »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: Ugoshberul: The Hollow-Bastion
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 09:44:34 pm »

I'll join.
Name: Ein (if you're using Dwarf Companion, make the last name Mumotsana)
Profession: Miner/Mechanic, Custom Name: Driller
It would be best if he could handle stress and has a calm demeanor.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 09:45:06 pm »

hmm...what kinda skills/job are you giving your character? it'd be easyer for me (and others) to make their characters if they know whats already been taken. if open, i want a mechanic/seige engineer (if you plan to use traps and seige weapons that is). name him ousire.

it possible to use dwarf companion to change characters last names and proffesion titles?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 09:47:16 pm by ousire »

Landstradd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 10:15:55 pm »

I'm planning on having my character do a little bit of everything, so people who sign up feel free to ask for anything that isn't already asked for in first six. And as for last names, so far as I know, it can only be edited to be like they already exist, two words from the language files. So, for instance, my character's name is going to be editted to be Lastblade (Uloltarmid), so any requests for last names has to be along those lines. The base name can be changed to whatever you want, but the last name can't. Profession titles are easily changeable, in game. I can also change gender, so which genders the game gens me won't matter, you'll get the one you prefer.

So Ein's "Driller" is going to be a miner and mechanic, but if you want a custom last name, your going to have to get me a new one.

Ousire, since Ein has taken up Mechanic, and I've never been too trap heavy, how would you like Siege engineer and operator? I'd imagine someone like that would become very attached to what he builds...

I'm gonna gen the map, take screens of the dwarfs personality reports (With blacked out names). That way people can at least choose. But first come, first served.

Edit: Oh, and DC is the least of what I use.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 10:19:28 pm by Landstradd »

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 10:21:46 pm »

ah, seige engineer and operator works just fine. didnt notice that mechanic was taken.

and after i made that post, i did a bit of wiki-exploring and exploring in the raws, so i know how names work. just need to find a good sounding name

edit: how about something like 'zalsstƒkud'. means warmachine (dunno what that box is suppoed to be  :-\). or maybe 'rashgurstƒkud' for attackmachine

oh, and make my title something like SiegeMaster.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 10:27:47 pm by ousire »

Landstradd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 10:52:56 pm »

--------------------
So I lied about editing out the names. The very top is of course my dwarf. The other six are still open.

Edit: remember, first names, last names, gender, and title can all be changed. Oh and I am a bit of an air head, so if I make an edit with a few minutes of my posting something, and don't point out everything I change, chalk it up to that.

Edit of the Edit: I'm going to bed, I'll deal with whoever posts with more info, wanting to join, etc. etc. tomorrow afternoon. Good night you crazy people you.

Oh And: ousire, gender?

Updated to the remaining three. Someone please ask for a guard-ish dwarf. Please?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 11:25:25 am by Landstradd »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 11:15:34 pm »

Dibs on the one currently named Iden Fathzasit.
Change the last name to Cugganastis (Sanddune).

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 01:31:20 am »

what are the gods of the world here? i wanna see em out of curiosity, but i think ya should mark me up for the one called inod
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:35:59 am by ousire »

Landstradd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 09:08:10 am »

Deities. At least of our civ.

Edit:

And apparently I was only looking at the deity entries that said dwarf... I seem to worship a giant cave swallow... dubiously is the only redeeming factor of that. She is not a very dwarvish goddess...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 10:59:07 am by Landstradd »

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 10:16:06 am »

I'll take Olon
Name: Fre (keep the last name)
Professions: Miner/Mason/Engraver (but mostly the last two)
Title: Stone Artist
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Landstradd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 11:23:13 am »

Thumbs to dwarfs of everyone who has signed up thus far. I'll be taking down the images of the ones that are taken.
http://img530.imageshack.us/my.php?image=40890180.jpg (edit: can't get the thumb of mine working...)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 11:26:52 am by Landstradd »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 05:09:55 pm »

Awesome, I sound like me.
The god could be better though, I'd rather worship Kor or Avuz.

Probably my favourite god ever is from one of my human forts.
Zas the Free Lord. Often depicted as a skeletal male human and associated with death, festivals, and the sky. I should look for the history seed of that world (pretty sure history seed gets the gods and stuff).