Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Avernum (or other spiderweb games)  (Read 5346 times)

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
Avernum (or other spiderweb games)
« on: June 03, 2009, 03:35:21 am »

Has anyone played the Avernum series?

http://www.avernum.com/avernum/index.html

It's an interesting series, that begins in a giant underground cave system. Lots of strategy, lots of fighting. There's a lot of reading as well, sometimes up to paragraphs at a time.

Any one else excited about Avernum 6? :D

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Avernum (or other spiderweb games)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 05:35:47 am »

I've played this game series when it was known as Exile. Yonks ago.

The improvements he did for its next gen update our all very nice. Its a nice retro RPG game with good story and fairly unique game world that is refreshing. I think the most cliche fantasy thing they have is fire ball, intelligent dragons and cat people.

No fucking elves. And that how we like it here at DF forum.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 06:55:03 am »

I love the Spiderweb games. They are creating [well actually these games are being developed by one person] oldschool, party based RPGs.
PS, I prefer the Avernum serie over the Geneforge serie to be honest.  :)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 07:12:50 am »

I used to play Blades of Exile hardcore... unlocked tons of shit, and my weakass mage begin destroying shit with fireball ->firestorm rendering my melee characters obsolete until they got uber gear.

Good times. I should buy that series just for the editor...

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 07:16:31 am »

Exile 2 was basically my favourite game ever when I was younger. I never tried any of the Avernum games because they looked like a downgrade to me from screenshots. Awesome functional 2D ---> Awkward ugly 3D. Plus I assume you can no longer create your own player sprites just by opening MSPaint. :P

On that subject, I'm actually on a bit of a quest. I swear there was some point when Exile 2 had different, simpler graphics. The talking spiders and araneas near the start had the same sprite as the spider in the spiderweb logo at the start of the game. Maybe it was in the demo?
I've been looking for the old-style graphics bmps for ages, for nostalgia's sake. Anyone have them?

I am pretty sure I'm not crazy.

EDIT: I just remembered, my little sister once had a game of Exile 2 where her party consisted of a small lizard, a cat, a bat, a cow, a bug, and a mushroom. The mushroom had a sword. And it was awesome.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:37:16 am by DeKaFu »

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 08:58:51 am »

I used to play Blades of Exile hardcore... unlocked tons of shit, and my weakass mage begin destroying shit with fireball ->firestorm rendering my melee characters obsolete until they got uber gear.

I suppose I should mention that BoE was released as open-source a while ago. The source code is here, and you can download compiled versions here.

And Avernum is awesome. I own the entire series, and I am SO excited about Avernm 6.

I wonder if he is going to wrap up a lot of question I've had about Avernum.

Something I've been wondering about for a while is the old crypts I found in the caves north of the fort Avernum cavern, The old human crypts.

Avernum to me is Underground Diversity Arc.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 10:26:41 pm »

Something I've been wondering about for a while is the old crypts I found in the caves north of the fort Avernum cavern, The old human crypts.

I didn't really think about why there would be old human crypts when I played. :0 That's something too think about. Kinda like BSG's "Everything that has happened will happen again". I hope that the human population of Avernum gets to stay there, and they aren't wiped out, a la BSG. Jeff Vogel said something about a cataclysmic ending for the series.

One thing that upset me about the change from Exile to Avernum, was that the Avernum series didn't have the spell repetoire of Exile. Some of the spells were awesome, maybe a bit too awesome because my mage was always the most important party member. But I like that. :D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 10:31:00 pm by Croquantes »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 01:41:39 pm »

Ah yeah, BoE was awesome. Btw, if you are good at scripting [IE. if you have some programming experience..], you should buy Blades of Avernum, since it has a decent editor. [It is much more advanced compared to the BoE editor..]  :)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 01:49:18 pm »

Whoa, I remember playing a demo of Exile and thinking it was awesome. I can't belive they are still making more!

Gah, I better stay away though. Morrowind and Bionic commando are eating too much of my time. XD
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 04:31:07 pm »

How are the other games? I never got into Avernum.

Also, the actual download link for the Blade of Exile files are http://code.google.com/p/openexile/ there. There goes my afternoon man. Thanks a bunch.

Theq629

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 01:18:20 pm »

On that subject, I'm actually on a bit of a quest. I swear there was some point when Exile 2 had different, simpler graphics.
As far as I remember Exile 1 and Exile 2 originally had simpler graphics, and then they got re-released with the Exile 3 graphics later. There's a thread in the Spiderweb forums (http://www.ironycentral.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=98620&page=1) that has download links for old versions, but only the Exile 1 download works for me. I have no idea where to look other than those forums.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 01:27:33 pm »

How are the other games? I never got into Avernum.

Check out this mini-review about Avernum 5. perhaps:
http://www.gamerdad.com/detail.cfm?itemID=4034

"It is always easy to criticize Spiderweb games based on fairly simple graphics - this remains true, but everything here is done in higher resolution and looks better than any previous entry in the series. This is definitely one of the best role-playing games of the year, and is friendly to those new to the series as well as veterans. Hints that pop up as you play the early sections of the game get you immediately immersed, but there is depth of control and party management that defies mastery. You will find yourself pulled into extended 'one more battle' gaming sessions, yet the journal is clear enough that you can walk away for quite a while and then hop back into it effortlessly. It runs on just about any Mac or PC and is available as a small download from Spiderweb Software, making it easy to try out. As I have said before - what Avernum 5 lacks in visual presentation, it makes up with immersive story-telling and engaging gameplay."

^ I absolutely agree with this. If you like the oldschool party based RPGs, you must try out the Avernum games.  ;)

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 01:45:18 pm »

Tormy is right. Buying the Avernum series was one of the best purchasing decisions I have made in my life.

Although, I must admit I like the Avernum 1-2-3 engine better than the new Avernum 4-5 engine.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 04:05:08 pm »

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/productsOld.html

All the old spiderweb products are available on their home page for free on both Mac and PC

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 12:35:53 am »

I bought Avernum 1, 2. My sis bought the 3rd. They're all great games, but a major time sink. I love the dungeon designs in Avernum, though, one of the best of any RPG.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: [1] 2