Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Avernum (or other spiderweb games)  (Read 5345 times)

Javewa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Avernum (or other spiderweb games)
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 02:31:09 am »

I own all Avernum titles and even the complete Exile collection. Love the stories, love the world. There are hardly any other games that deliver more bang for the buck.

Avernum 4 was rather weak, story wise, but 5 made up for it. I'm really looking forward to the finale.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
Re: Avernum (or other spiderweb games)
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 02:01:04 am »

For the few Avernum/Exile fans out there, which one's your favourite?

The first one I played was Exile 3. I found it on some shareware CD and played the hell out of the demo, then finally persuaded my mother to buy it for me. I think I was about 11 or 12, and basically spent half my summer vacation playing it.

The spells were awesome, and the higher levelled spells were awesomely overpowered. One example? Quickfire. It summons a small wall of flame that quickly explodes outwards until the fire engulfs the whole map. Obliterates all life. Kinda fun to cast in a city, or bandit hideout and loot the place afterwards.

I loved how you could see Valorim start to fall to the monsters if you were slow on saving the world. Holes appear in city walls, and monsters rush the gates, sometimes getting inside and killing a few civilians or soldiers. Houses start to crumble into dust. If you were too slow, you could even lose out on some quests because the quest giver would get killed by monsters.

I'm really really hoping that Avernum 6 has cities that fall into ruin.
Pages: 1 [2]