Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Paraniod or Insane  (Read 2612 times)

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: Paraniod or Insane
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 04:00:10 pm »

Thats actually what I was thinking of narrating in the next update.

I think that all the others are going to go insane and kill themselves...
That would leave Moose in a hermit challenge.

By the way, he's the only one mining out the bedrooms  The other miner is probably going to go insane next time I unpause.

You don't mind me writing what you just said in the next update?
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

Moose Fisher

• Bay Watcher
  • [DEBUG ERROR: THIS TEXT DOES NOT EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 04:33:04 pm »

Go ahead.

I hope there's adamantine on your map, it would serve as a good goal to reach. ;D
"I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?"
-Elderly Hive Dweller

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 05:13:49 pm »

I didn't use reveal yet, so I don't know.
The next update sure looks exciting though. ;)

With the search thing, I am sure that there is underground water, but I just couldn't get magma. That's the problem with this world.
Next time, I use the other one that I like a lot.

Back to work.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 07:44:29 pm »

20th Opal. Mid-Winter

"My name is Moose.  I dig holes.  It's all I really have to comfort me.  The others worry in their plots and lack of luxuries, but all I worry about is what lies behind the next patch of rock and dirt."

“What I want to know is, where is everybody?”

Moose heads up the stairs and looks around.

“Tsk Tsk Tsk. I wanted the walls painted moss green, not red like blood.”
Moose walks around the corner.

“I never did like miasma, some clumsy dwarf must have fallen into the channel.”
He continues outside.

“WHY ARE YOU GUYS DOING SITTING AROUND?  WHY AREN’T YOU WORKING? YOU LEAVE ME TO DO ALL THE CHORES?”

1st Obsidian. Late-Winter.

“All my friends are rotting in the fields, or dying in the courtyard. It is awful. The stench of their bodies rise up before me. Moose, the miner, has fallen into a channel in his rage! Now they leave me to clean what’s left of this deathtrap, before my death occurs. Weeds will be growing in ruins by the time migrants decide it safe enough to journey up here.”

The lone farmer was busy hauling bodies and cleaning the blood-stained walls.

“I wish I were dead.”

A figure appears out of nowhere, the stench of the dead bodies gets even stronger. The figures dark shape hovers over the fort, casting a shadow on the ground below it.

“What is that?”

“Look what has become of this fort; A feeding ground for batwomen and spidermen.”

“Now hold on. If it wasn’t for that one guy, this wouldn’t have happened.”

“Oh yeah? Do you actually think that this fort would have survived? You know dwarven logic, the first world ended because of it.”

“Well, you can blame whoever made everything for it. They should have known how to program us better.”

“You really do like blaming other people, do you?”

“Just who are you?”

“I am Kesting, the god of wishes.”

“…” A horrified look comes over the poor farmers face…

11th Obsidian. Late Winter.

It turns out that the farmer had received a head wound after getting struck by an insane dwarf. He had lost part of his brain, so now he walks aimlessly through the fort’s hallways.

One of the metal smiths that fell into the channel now died. 4 dwarfs remain.
What will become of them? Wait and see.

Moose Fisher

• Bay Watcher
  • [DEBUG ERROR: THIS TEXT DOES NOT EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2009, 08:14:17 pm »

So much for being of sound mind.  My soul is in a better place.
"I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?"
-Elderly Hive Dweller

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2009, 01:18:13 am »

4th Granite. Early Spring

Oh no!

Who let that happen? Now the population has dropped to two…
The lone farmer is running around doing nothing.
The other dwarf is paralyzed in the middle of the courtyard.
Hopefully migrants will arrive in time to relieve the fort.
It is early spring already, so there is a chance.

5th Granite. Early spring

Interesting thing though. This last farmer dwarf is the one that killed Edem.

14th Granite. Early Spring

Look at the good luck we have.

And here is how it happened…

“Summon the advisors.”

“Right away my king.”

A slim, tall elf strolls out of the Elvin king’s tree and heads out to gather the advisors.

A few minutes later a group of the shortest elves enter the ‘palace’

“You called, oh king?”

“As a matter of fact, I did. I have my suspicions about those dwarfs. The insightful trades founded a new outpost along one of our beautiful brooks. From what the birds say, they have been stripping the land of wood. I want you to send out some spies disguised as traders and evaluate the situation.”

“As you say.”

“Then begone”

After many months of hard traveling through the woods, the elven traders pull up alongside the river.

“From this river stretches out the brook upon which the settlement is located. We can expect resistance, so stay cautious.”

“These woods are supposed to be crawling with goblins and kobolds. But the wolves report to hostile movements since fall. I fear they are preparing to send an army through this valley up to our retreat.”

“They would have to get through this dwarven fort first though. And with all the wood they’ve been gathering, they can make enough metal for a thousand axes.”

“That is probably just what they have done. Perhaps this outpost is just a frontier expansion base so that they may stake claims on our territory. It is strategically place to easily kill both elves, goblins, kobolds and get reinforcements in but a few months.”

“Do you think that they have one of those rigged trade depots?”

“Probably not…”

But a day later, the reach the perimeter of the fort.

“Oh, there is the awful stench of death in this area.”

“Of trees, wildlife, and dwarfs themselves.”

“You suppose the goblins have already marched through here?”

“Nay, our riders just departed from the southern areas but a week ago. They would see the signs of an army marching through on the trees. The alarm would go off and our hordes will prepare for war.”

“Might as well head up the mountain.”

Not much later, the cross over the ridge overlooking the brook.

“Hey dwarf down by the brook. Do you accept trade?” The farmer stares at them unblinking, as if he/she has no mind.

“Strange. That dwarf is shocked stiff.”

“Perhaps a dragon of old preyed on this fort.”

“Only one way to find out.”

After 5 minutes of walking up the mountain, the come across the outer courtyard bridge.

“Wow, look at this place.”

“First I notice all the dead bodies lying around, and no trees are in sight. Second, this place is flooded, they must have struck an aquifer.”

“You know dwarven logic.”

“Look at all the animals walking around. Perhaps we can ask the raccoon over yonder what has happened.”

Unearthly sounds leave the Elf’s mouth as he attempts to communicate with a nearby raccoon. It looks back at it and starts fingering the dirt in a strange way.

“Uh huh.”  She turns to face her companion.  Only one dwarf lives, and he is missing part of his brain. The raccoon doesn’t know how it all started, but a tantrum spiral occurred. The local rulers weren’t able to abolish it before if spun out of control. The lone dwarf is a farmer, and he mostly idles down by the brook. Ocassionly he goes inside to eat and might get a little work done. But overall, the settlement is history.”

“The foxes say that they can smell adamite deep underground, which is what probably attracted the dwarfs here in the first place.”

“Whatever the case, the King has worried over nothing. The dwarves of the insightful trades have fell in power ever since the collapse of the fort named Glitch. Shall we go then?”

“Not until I steal trade with the dead around here.”

21st Granite. Early Spring.
The fun just begins.

The elves look at each other then at the berserk dwarf.

“I didn’t know a dwarf with half a brain could still go insane.”

Olon, Farmer was the last dwarf of the first era of this fort. He was surrounded by a bunch of hunting dogs and war dogs.

And this is the end of the fun. For now.

Tune in next time for round 2.

-----
This was a lot of fun. Thank you all for your comments.
I need your opinions on my writing and my writing style.

I think I may do a reclaim of this fort and hope it lasts longer.
Pages: 1 [2]