Finally... > Life Advice

Help me choose a dog, please!

(1/12) > >>

BuriBuriZaemon:
Hiya, peeps. I don't post a lot here but I need advices about choosing the right dog breed for a pet.

Criteria
Cost: Low (around USD15/week)

Size: Small (ie Pug, Yorkshire Terrier)

Coat: Short (so things don't get entangled when it is playing outdoor)

Grooming: Moderate (3 times/week)

Exercise: Moderate (20 minutes/weekeday, a jog on weekend)

Trainability: Moderate

Guard dog: No need

Additional info
Availability of time: Right now I'm a full-time student who works two days/week. I'm graduating in six months and I assume I'd get a job once I graduate (already have an offer). This is when I'm getting the dog, not now. I estimate that I will be away from home for 10 hours/weekday, but I'll have plenty of time on weekend (Saturday - Sunday).

Experience with dog: Nil! But I'm learning from the Internet and I know a lot of people who do have experience and, in fact, I live close to, and work at the main office of a community based charity that works to prevent cruelty to animals (Royal Society for Protection and Care of Animals). Moreover, I've had other pets before (mostly rodents) so I'm confident I'm up for the responsibility.

Accommodation: I live in a granny's flat that I rent with another housemate. The size is not big but decent. This flat is a 'mini unit' that shares the yard with the main unit occupied by the landlord. The yard is not fenced and medium-sized. I plan to let the dog to roam around in the yard when I'm away from home and take it in when I am home.

Other pet: None, although a few of the neighbours have cats that roam freely.

All your inputs are appreciated.  :)

Strife26:
Get a Maine Coon Cat. All the personallity and fuzzyness of a cat, with the mannerisms of a dog.

inaluct:
That's actually a good idea. They're like dogs, only less useful in almost every conceivable way. And cuter.

Anyway, Buri, get a mutt. Go to the pound and get a dog that fits your criteria. There's no reason to get a dog with an actual breed. They cost more and are more prone to health problems.

WorkerDrone:
I completely agree with the mutt thing. But most importantly, the pound thing.

Please, Buri, adopt a dog. Adoption is the way to go.

Cthulhu:
Adopt a Boston terrier.  They're small, have really short fur, some health problems and they're pretty expensive, but they're really smart and learn fast.  Mine learned when and where to go to the bathroom with one praising.

EDIT:  Why did I say pug?  I meant Boston terrier.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version