Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reveal Program Questions  (Read 473 times)

Kalphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reveal Program Questions
« on: June 03, 2009, 12:35:02 am »

This may be moot, because I'm pretty sure I only use Reveal on an alternate save to check where the magma is, but does Reveal screw up your game even if you don't save after you use it?

Is there any way to check if it is messed up?  My magma pipe is capped in Obsidian so I know where it is on this map (In fact, I may not have used Reveal at all, lol), if I dig into it and get the "you have found magma" or whatever message is it ok?  Or would I not get a message anyway since it's pretty obvious where the pipe is because of the Obsidian Cap.

Does it screw up the WHOLE world or just the particular site you used it on?  I ask because I always have a world backup saved separately anyway, which I guess means it's never had reveal used on it, I think, so it wouldn't matter anyway.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 12:46:36 am by Kalphoenix »

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reveal Program Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 12:47:15 am »

If it doesn't corrupt your save by just killing the DF process I think you're fine. I did that once before and had no issues before I realized I could just copy the region folder and run reveal on that.

I think it would only screw up the site, I don't see how it can affect the whole world.

Kalphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 01:05:17 am »

Hmmm, now I'm not sure.  I did an exploratory dig into the magma pipe (well, I didn't actually go into it, but it was enough to show the whole pipeline) and I didn't get any messages about locating it under "a."  So I may need to relaunch the site anyway, which is a bummer, because the dwarf's personalities weren't too crazy and I ended up with 2 female cows and one bull, and my other two "starter" freebie animals were a male and female muskox (I want to get a breeding/butcher thing going on eventually).  I have a feeling it's going to take me awhile to get that lucky again.  I didn't think I used it, but maybe I did afterall.  Oh well, live and learn.  :-\

Kalphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 01:13:39 am »

It does say "warm stone located" when I dig on one of my backups.  Is that all I need?  Or does it actually have to say something about the magma pipe being located?  I experimented by trying to dig into the pipe proper, but my dwarf died from the heat before he got through the wall.  Hehe.  Sad :(

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 02:04:29 am »

The latter, "magma pipe".

And yes, it messes with the file without saving it. 

Using Reveal corrupts the file that you used.  End of statement.

Kalphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 10:32:29 pm »

Hmmm, I'm not getting a message when I dig even on the world backup that DIDN'T get reveal used on it when I dig into the magma pipe (and it reveals the whole pipe).  What gives?  Is it maybe because I can already "tell" where it is because of the obsidian cap?  Or do you have to actually dig into the magma itself to get the message?  I have no idea how I'd even try, since they die if they try to dig into the pipe to release the magma.  Never did anything with magma before, so I guess I don't understand how it is supposed to work.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 12:03:00 am »

Can you build magma forges?

If so, it's all fine.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 12:50:14 am »

What gives?  Is it maybe because I can already "tell" where it is because of the obsidian cap?

If it's an exposed vent, then yes, no message is received because you already see it.

For a hidden vent the message is received when you get close - sometimes you don't even know where the warm stone is (keep digging, you're close.  Designate more digging and look around for the flashing  "warm stone" warnings.)

Depending how/when you made that backup (after running Reveal but before "saving" or quitting that particular game?), your backup may be a copy of a corrupted file. Easy to do.  Reveal is not "user friendly" in that sense.

The break comes from not receiving the message in a Revealed map. No message, no trigger, no luck.  As mentioned above, the dealbreaker is whether you can place magma smelters/forges. Don't need live magma to place them - see if they're allowed at all in the menus.

Kalphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 11:32:44 pm »

I'm appreciating the ongoing comments.

Magma Smelter/Magma Glass Smelter/Magma Kiln are available in the menu, I was able to build a Magma Smelter out of Rhyolite, and it gives me the option to Melt metal Objects in "q."  I'd guess that means that everything is fine?

My confusion is that I know I've used Reveal before, but I never used it on this map, because I only ever use it to show me where the magma pipe or pool is.  Since there is an obsidian cap marking over the top, I'm pretty sure I didn't use it.  Either way, I guess it is fine, since it lets me build those three magma furnaces.

Thank you all for your help and patience.