Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven View Distance  (Read 663 times)

DieForDixie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarven View Distance
« on: June 04, 2009, 06:16:14 am »

Is there any way to increase the viewing distance of my dwarves standing guard?
If I have them stationed on a higher z-level tower will they be able to see enemies coming from farther away?

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven View Distance
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 07:19:12 am »

I too would like to know. Also, how far do Marksdwarves shoot if they are 3-4 Z levels higher than the enemy? Or does this reduce their range? Good queston :D

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 07:24:02 am »

Don't be shy about experimenting yourself - that's how many of these details are discovered.

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 07:54:16 am »

I can't at the moment. Exams. Also, whenever I try to, I always end up forgetting because it takes a long time to get up and running well enough to spare a few Masons for that kind of job. If I find out now, i'll know whether to bother doing it or not. Plus, sieges take a few years to start.

Anamabir

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 09:33:04 am »

As far as I can tell from adventurer mode, the height a dwarf sees from has no effect on his viewing distance.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 12:27:40 pm »

Loopoo's question has been answered in other topics before, but to help him out, the higher the z-level, the less range your dwarf has.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 05:55:37 pm »

However a higher z-level also increases minimum range. 1 z level up with fortification can't hit the tile below and next to the fortification more z levels increase that blind spot.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!