Dwarf Fortress > DF Bug Reports

Dirty Exit.

(1/6) > >>

Nivim:
 I am not sure how much of a bug this is, or if it simply wasn't done. But Dwarf Fortress does not close cleanly, it slows down the computer afterwards and causes minor interference with other programs. I am guessing either Toady was too lazy to go through the trouble of programming a clean exit, or he is waiting for when the game is at version 1.0 so he wont have to mess with it too much.

ToonyMan:
What do you mean?  I don't experience any problems with shutting down DF.

Sowelu:
Are you using a non-Windows version?  The Windows version works just fine for me, but maybe the Mac version leaves cruft lying around due to inexperience with that platform, say.

Derakon:
I'm on a Mac and I've not noticed any problems post-shutdown. To my knowledge, it shouldn't be possible to continue using resources after program exit unless you've made child processes and then not forced them to exit; Dwarf Fortress doesn't make child processes, so it can't leave effects behind after it's done.

Perhaps you're noticing a temporary slowdown as the memory Dwarf Fortress was using is freed and other programs start paging stuff in from the disk? How long does your slowdown last? And please tell us what operating system you're using and your computer specs.

Nivim:
 It's the same effect most programs in existence have and goes away when you restart the computer. It isn't that much, around 5 fps hit for most things. A common problem, and it isn't specific to an operating system or computer setup (it's a Windows XP with run-of-the-mill decent processor and graphics card anyway). I was just pointing it out and to ensure that Toady would take care of it at some point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version