Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [MOD] Magic Mod V0.1.1  (Read 15761 times)

Valkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[MOD] Magic Mod V0.1.1
« on: June 05, 2009, 12:14:22 am »

Valkun's Dwarf Fortress Magic Add-On V0.1.1

Download: File Depot Link

Introduction:
This mod is a preliminariny attempt at producing a magic framework for Dwarf Fortress using reactions.  Obviously it has nothing to do with the eventual system that Toady will create when he gets around to it.  The spheres of magic were designed to allow all players to obtain materials that may not be available on a map or are only available in limited quantities and to use materials in new ways.  However, the quality and quantity should be less than just gathering the resources normally and require more work in general.  Magic has been divided into various spheres which each deal with their own industries and themes.

When possible, materials and items have been left out of sight and out of mind.  Unfortunately, various gems will show up in stockpile lists and likes/dislikes.  Junk Metal and Nightslade seeds are available upon embark but aren't terribly useful.

This was also an experiment into what is possible under the current framework created by ToadyOne.  Even what would be considered horrible mistakes are sometimes used in new and interesting ways.  As the error log clearly shows, modifying the RAWs is not yet a complete and smooth process.  Things that are impossible:  skulls as a product or reagent, specific fats, wearable armor, item qualities, making a material on fire and hot enough to burn(may be possible using creature's native heat), extracts and other liquids as a product or reagent, prepared food as a product (and reagent?), and probably a dozen other things that experiments showed to be unavailable but have already been forgotten.  If you have any quirks of dwarf fortress that you think would work well as a spell, please let me know.   ;D

Installation:
1.  Extract the raws in this zip file to your dwarf fortress\raw\objects.
2.  Delete the files(if any) in dwarf fortress\data\objects.
3.  Create a new world.
4.  Ensure that temperature is set to Yes in dwarf fortress\data\init\init.txt

This mod is designed to work with any dwarf fortress which retains the original entries in the raws.  Anything and everything included with the base game may be used by this mod.

How to start:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FAQ's:
Q:Why won't my dwarves equip the living weapons from the experience sphere?
A:Due to a quirk with two handed weapons, the dwarves need to be set to use 2 weapons in the weapons screen.

Q:Why won't my dwarf pick up the ammo for a non-crossbow ranged weapon?
A:Bolts seem to have some behavior hard-coded.  Every other type of ammo requires a quiver to be available otherwise the dwarf won't actually pick up the ammo.

Master Spell List:

Thanks to Blakmane for inspiring the creation of this with the Dark Dwarves Mod and to all the people who've contributed to the modding section of the Dwarf Fortress Wiki.

Upcoming Spheres for V0.2.1:
Glacier(Done) - Deals with ice.
Tempest - Water and Fish.
Light - Glass.
Nature - Seeds, Trees, and Animals.

Still to Come:
Alchemy - Production of the Philosopher's Stone
Ephemeral - Light Weight and Silk
Decay - Leather
Chaos - Colored materials and dyes.
Void - Removing materials for later use (halls filled with stone!)
Inspiration - Magic Weapons and Armor when combined with other spheres.
Mountain - Various stones and metals.
Mastery - Needs all the other books.
And whatever else comes to mind.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 09:53:30 pm by Valkun »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: [MOD] Magic Mod V0.1.1
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 08:27:21 am »

This is an unique mod.
I didn't think about making "magic reactions" using various spheres. Usually it's something like creating new metal or some trap component/unique item. But you pushed it beyond, to the area of flavor and colorful descriptions. Sadly reactions cannot have additional description, like you explain here, but nevertheless it's a quite unique mod. I am going to try it with my next fortress.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 11:22:55 am »

Interesting, I'll have to agree with Deon on this. Very unique perspective, I will trying this out in my next fort as well.

Also if I may, what inspired this mod?
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 11:37:32 am »

Downloading right now! This may prove useful :3

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 11:57:46 am »

How interesting. This is way better than the magic staff mod.

EDIT: Don't forget to let paper be able to be used in Craftdwarf's Workshop to make story books and such. ;P
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 01:02:05 pm by Jack_Bread »

Valkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 02:29:51 pm »

Interesting, I'll have to agree with Deon on this. Very unique perspective, I will trying this out in my next fort as well.

Also if I may, what inspired this mod?

I was looking through the mod thread a few weeks ago and I just happened to try out the Dark Dwarves mod by Blakmane.  The reactions to turn chunks into crystals and tallow into coke made me realize the flexibility that was possible with the RAWs.  This is just a more ambitious, focused extension of that concept.  A lot of strenuous testing was involved because the wiki is not always clear on how the various items use subtypes and materials.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 04:02:09 pm »

Quite an interesting mod, just started a fort on a freshly made copy of DF, lots of reaction there. Will have fun exploring them.

Also, origami!
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 04:31:29 pm »

Where did you get this origami thing? Or is it faked? o_O
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 06:40:04 pm »

No no, its not faked, and of course I got it form this mod. I posted it here after all.

The paper he made works like gems, which mean that when you 'cut paper sheets' you occasionally get some random paper craft. It also means you can do 'encrust finished goods with paper', and so, dispite the fact that Valkun might not have didnt intended it, you have a kind of origami  ;D
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Kittah_Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 01:46:01 pm »

It's a shame that you can't add your own items yet( or your own workshops with custom reactions ), otherwise some of annoyances relating to using cut gems would be easily fixed by adding a new item type with a custom tile that's not used by anything else.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 07:35:19 am by Kittah_Khan »

Valkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 06:07:53 pm »

Paper crafts were quite intentional.  Don't forget about paper windows as well.

V0.1.1 Bug List:
  • Edvar Level 4 and Level 5 do not create Death research papers.  This could be patched but I'll just update it for the next release.

Can anyone who's given this a try comment on how hard it is to research and cast things?  I'm assuming it'd probably be a good idea to add a list of ingredients needed to cast, research, and create the books so you don't have to dive into the RAW's or figure them out one step at a time.  But having that information might remove any sense of discovery.  Any comments on balancing would also be appreciated.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 11:07:29 pm »

I started making my own magic mod (using runes and essences and stuff instead of books) before seeing this. It's really well made and making stuff out of paper is an awesome touch.

Anyways, I was wondering if you'd be okay with me incorporating some of your stuff into my magic mod. Mostly just paper and research, I've already got an idea of how I want spells to be.

Valkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 09:44:02 am »

I started making my own magic mod (using runes and essences and stuff instead of books) before seeing this. It's really well made and making stuff out of paper is an awesome touch.

Anyways, I was wondering if you'd be okay with me incorporating some of your stuff into my magic mod. Mostly just paper and research, I've already got an idea of how I want spells to be.

Go right ahead.  I'm interested in seeing how you'll have the different elements cancel each other out.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 05:40:45 pm »

That'll be tough.
I think it will more be the kinda thing that happens when you try fusing runes together to get combination elements. Either fire and water will fuse together to make steam, leave you with water, or you get nothing. Something like that.

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 07:00:05 pm »

I love magic in general, and I feel that is a great addition. Makes it hard to wait for Toady's official magic.

(by the way, all. I'm here now. I haven't been on for a few months. Since about the turn of the year. Great to be back!)
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.
Pages: [1] 2 3