Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: To Build a monument: A story of 7 dwarves from a dead civilization ((community))  (Read 3014 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The dairy of Tulon Zatamzuglar: The first days

25th of obsidian 232: As I was relaxing after a long days work Sodel came up to me, he said that in these trying times, anyone can ever one needs to know certain skills. He said that I was to lead our survivor outpost for the next year; I was to start tomorrow…

26th obsidian: As I looked at what will be my tiny domain for the next year I realized just how much work had to be done.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The first thing I needed to do is ask Sodel how much supplies we have.

27th obsidian: I found Sodel today in the mess hall, when ask about the supplies he admitted that he had no idea how much we have. I set him on it right away.

1st Granite: ah spring has sprung. At this our one year mark I feel new hope for our small community, and the dwarfish race in general. I also noticed that one of our miners, Zefon was laying around I told him to start carving more bedrooms just in case we get some refuges.

3rd Granite: I have noticed two things today, one we have almost no wood, two the only defenses we do have are 3 cage traps that are full of goats.I have designated an animal stockpile and 10 or so trees to be cut down.

5th Granite: As I was on a break getting food I realized how long it took me to walk to the food storage than to my table than back to the refuge pile. We are wasting an astronomical amount of time, this fortress is spread all over the place. I will need to fix this.

6th Granite: I have order a new living area, closer to the food stockpiles. Hopefully this will incress the time we have to do our jobs.

well here is the first days there will be another update soon but first i need to make me some food

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The dairy of Tulon Zatamzuglar

9th Granite: a damned kitten tripped me up today… I think my nose is broken. I have ordered all kittens to be thrown in with the wild mouton goats.

10th Granite: I have order a big hallway and a bridge to be made to cut down on the trip from the stockpiles to the outside.

14th Granite: the elves have arrived, I have order all the mugs that I have made to be bought down to trade.

17th Granite: The elves have started to unload their goods. I hope that they have alcohol; we are running a bit low.

18th Granite: A horse was killed by a imp! I don’t know what the horse was doing so far out from the fortress. I have ordered a small meeting hall, hopefully the animals seeing all the dwarves in one place will attract them there.

19th Granite it has been 5 days since I have told Sodel to go the trade depot, and yet all he does is lay around! I will have to punish him the trade with the elves falls though

24th Granite: Sodel finally made it to the deposit, they did not have much. He traded some trinkets for wood (3), a cage, a barrel, and a dozen clusters of plants. I thought the tree huggers would have more wood at least. O well, I gave them some more mugs in hopes that they will bring more next time.

28th Granite: HUZZA migrants have arrived. Our once great race may live on after all. The tally is:
Fishery worker: 2
Peasant: 3
Child: 2
Engraver: 1
Dog: 1
Horse: 1
Lye Maker: 1
Cow: 1
Bowyer: 1
Animal Trainer: 1
Planter: 1
Stone crafter: 1
Ranger: 1
Donkey: 1
Weapon smith: 1
Furnace operator: 1
Bone carver: 1
This brings our fortress to 24 dwarves.
We are lacking the food and room for all, but we shall not turn a soul away, we will make this fortress a haven for all dwarfs.

OUR NEW MOUNTAN HOME

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

im going to bed i will play more later.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 09:56:34 pm by Criptfeind »

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

im going to bed i will play more later.

allright, a bit of clarification. 

This isn't so say that you're wrong, about anything, you are free to do as you choose.

bedrooms:
These were located 5 levels away from the workshop because of noise:

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Noise

Workshops produce noise in a 4 space cube (this does include levels, so 4 levels up, 4 down) around them. So, any dwarf sleeping within this cube will get one of the following bad thoughts: "uneasily due to noise", "very uneasily due to noise" or even woken up. 

Therefore, i built the beds far down into the fortress. as for the dining hall, i forgot to make a special area for any prepared food and another for drinks, so that all the dwarves could just grab the food, then get to a table.

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten

I prefer to build two towers: one with workshops; and one for sleeping quaters, with the dinning hall between them.
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

true, but remember I was only in it the fortresses first year. My options where slightly constrained by time.

what with hauling everything inside and all.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Amazing I had no idea that noise had such a big bubble (cube?). While I think that the noise for the most part will not get to my bedrooms I am open to suggestions.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

6th Slate: A refuge Furnace Operator has been acting strangely lately. I hope he turns out ok.

7th Slate: a Mountain goat got out today, I do not know how. He is wrecking havoc.

8th Slate: we have no room. Our miners our not sufficient, I may have to make outside workshops soon.

9th Slate: Our new ranger killed an imp today. :o

10th Slate: I have been told that our Furnace operator has grabbed many objects and has holed up in the crafts shop.

12th Slate: the useless elves have left to day, good riddance.

14th Slate: One of our miners has struck Galena! Perhaps we shall find some silver in this lead. Our Furnace operator, I now know his name is Sodel Urvadudar, has made Eshimigul, a turtle shell helmet!

I have set him as our crafts dwarf, as he was not relay helpful in his last job.

1st Felsite: I was informed that a Mountain goat that was locked up but not tamed had a kid.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Amazing I had no idea that noise had such a big bubble (cube?). While I think that the noise for the most part will not get to my bedrooms I am open to suggestions.

its a cube.

i'll look at it when its my; turn. as for your link, i'm fairly positive you exported the map wrong. all i can see is 2 levels of the magma pipe. 

and i keep forgetting the map is called hero towers. Maybe its a sign?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 09:26:51 pm by SimRobert2001 »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i know its a cube. (I just think bubble sounds better.) In retrospect the ? did not belong in that sentence but... eh.

As for the map your right, what you have to do to get to the fortress is go up (on the x:y axis), a lot, until you get to the soon to be magma forge entrance way.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ah. and its allright, thats what we're here for.

oh, and thats not what i meant. i try to go up, but the map stops at levels 25 and 23. you can't go any further.

oh, and what should our mega project be?   
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 06:24:05 am by SimRobert2001 »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

26th Felsite: Our ranger saw the ore hematite today. I have marked where he said it was.

16th Hematite: I now must address the booze shortage. For a while now our booze stocks have been dwindling slowly but surely. We are now down to… less than 5 dwarfs drink in a year or enough to last the fortress for 2 months. I have taken precautions, making more barrels, cutting more trees, storing away some in a hidden spot, and making more brewers. It does not seem to work. I have started to pour all my attention in to this problem. May Kovest watch over me if I fail.

22th Hematite: We have tamed the goats caught so long ago, perhaps in the future they can be a stable food source.

19th Malachite: Mummmm Cat roasts tonight. I ordered the kittens that were in the cages to be killed. I need to go tell our butcher to make me some kitten mittens.

21st Malachite: Our hunter killed another fire imp today! He has multiple injuries. But the worst is his arm. In time it will all heal. I have order buckets to be made, just in case he needs to rest off his injuries.

25th Galena: I have not written in a long time… not much has been happening, rooms are dug, beds are made, the hunter healed rather quickly and is out hunting, the magma tunnels are taking way to long, and the booze stocks have been going up slowly. But today a new crop of 11 plump helms have come in, but disaster! We are out of barrels and they rot on the floor! I must take action quickly or we will lose all of them!

6th Limestone: I have order three dogs to be assigned to our hunter, two to protect him, and one to help him bring down game.

10th Limestone: Another Dwarf has kicked workers out of their workshop today, than he grabbed up 3 turtle shells. I hope this turns out all right. In other news the caravan of dwarf survived another year and has come to trade. I hope they bring something good.

13th Limestone: A goblin snatcher was caught in the traps today. I wonder what I should do with him…

18th Limestone: Today Lorbam Likotlisat came out of the work shop he toke over with Melbilfikod Mingtuthzulash “Tomeglazes the Contingent Pains” a turtle shell… cage? Idiot.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

what else is going on in here? did you give it to shihjen already?

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten

I've recieved nothing.
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

22nd Limestone: today I have ordained Sakzul Imikkeskal, our most promising soldier, as our new Sheriff. I have ordered better rooms for him to be made up for him.

25th Limestone: Sodel found time to go to the trade depot today. He traded them for the small amount of alcohol they had, some barrels, a cage or three, cloth, an anvil, and some meat. He offered them a fine deal, with a profit of 510 but they did not take it, I suppose that in these trying times that even our brethren will try to climb over us to secure their own life… he upped it and they accepted.

11th Sandstone: The merchants have left, I wish them a safe journey in this dangerous world.

19th Sandstone: I have ordered the digging out of a true guard/soldier/prison complex. No longer will our brave soldiers have to squat in the meeting hall.

3rd Timber: I have had to regrettably stop construction on the tower that Sodel made. (I do not yet have everything I need to start on my own monument) the lack of masons is starting to seriously hurt the fortress.

15th Timber: I have ordered the magma tunnels opened.

13th Moonstone: One of our blacksmiths, Mebzuth, has started to refuse to work. All he does is hang out in the meeting hall demanding a work shop. I will build him a temporary one, until our magma smithies are dug out.

18th Moonstone: Mebzuth has moved in to the work shop, now he is demanding items. The only thing he wants that we do not have is bars of metal. I shall try to make some.

20th Moonstone: Two more snatchers today. Now we have three… we must find a way to make this entertainment for masses.

27th Moonstone: Mebzuth has gathered up one Billon bar, one rough alexandrite, and a dog leather. Lets see what he makes!

4th Opal: Mebzuth has come out of his workshop, sweaty and triumphant. He has made Arelag Mingkil Stettad, “Waterclub the Leopard of Taxing”, a Billon… barrel.

15th Obsidian: Aluminum was struck today, right next to the almost done forges!

25th Obsidian: well it’s been one year, time to pass leader ship to the next chap.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have reordered the hotkeys they are now:

1 SimRobert2001’s monument
2 gate
3 bedrooms
4 iron
5 more iron
6 the forge
7 old bedrooms

The fortress is doing "ok”.

The good: the fortress is much bigger, we have industry, there is what I like to think I slightly better set up for the bed rooms, lots of food and drink, and we have a small military.
The bad: little to no organization I have never seen a fortress this messed up, the forges take like days to get to I have started a new magma tunnel to fix this, I never got to put in to action my monument plan maybe next time,  almost half of the fortress seems to do nothing but haul rock, the “military” I just got a bunch of legendary wrestlers I could not even make them silver weapons because I was waiting for the forges to be set up (they still are not), and the trees are almost gone.

I am having trouble with DFFD, I will have the save up soon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4