Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The beast must die  (Read 4439 times)

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The beast must die
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 01:10:45 am »

If you make an adventurer and retire him in the human town he will be a reqruitable who never says no.

AMASS AN ARMY.
Perferably one in every weapon type.
Except for lashers.

Lashers are pretty weak when not legendary.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 01:16:02 am »

If you make an adventurer and retire him in the human town he will be a reqruitable who never says no.

AMASS AN ARMY.
Perferably one in every weapon type.
Except for lashers.

Lashers are pretty weak when not legendary.

Actually, against organic targets, they can be pretty devastating. Its alot more luck though, because you have to hit the head/upper body/lower body to actually do good damage (though it will sever limbs occationally.)

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 01:21:58 am »

Sadly, when recruiting lashers early on, they don't quite have enough strength or luck to do more than be a burden.

1v0ry_k1ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 05:37:29 am »

I didnt want to have to resort to changing stats of any kind, im very happy with the balance; arrows etc still have the power of instakill and range, but they are no longer the insane killers they were before.

I have been amassing groups of 3-4 soldiers each time... maybe I havnt been thinking metaphysically enough? I recall there is some hardcoded limit on posse size, though. Even then, the problem dosnt feel like it'll be solved by numbers; there are easily going to be enough orcs pouring in to keep my companions distracted. whichever one of the gang faces the weaponsmith dies; that leaves two more orcs for someone else to fight. pretty soon it all rolls up and the orcs are mobbing me to death. this dude represents the power of several guys concentrared into one, which makes ganging up on him extemely difficult..

...Or you could grab his head and gouge out his eyes.  Shouldn't take too long, and he should be arrow fodder for your next adventurer.

you sir, are a gentleman and a scholar, I will try this immediently.
my only concern is his obscene unarmed damage, superior size and legendary strength might work to his advantage in a straight wrestle with a human.

AMASS AN ARMY.

AN ARMY WORTHY OF MORDOR

on the subject of lashers, Ive found that in the right circumstances (1v1 against organic not wearing much armour, like animals, beats) the pain output of the lash is pretty useful. Then again, the orc unique lash weapon does 2x the human lash damage [:40] ( I gave orcs unique, large weapons so in fort mode dwarves wouldnt be able to pick up and use their weapons. plus, making them heavy, reasonable dam and high [:2] critical bonus for limb removing power kinda suits the orc mentality

question: what is the optimal layout of skills for killing a single hard dude like this? Ive been going for a mix of offense (10 in chosen weapon) and defence (9 in armour, 9 in shield).. would say, 15 in weapon work better? the armour dosnt seem to be helping much, but if hes virtually gibbing me through armour I dont dare think what he'll do to unarmoured flesh..

I GO TO BATTLE NOW

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 05:59:13 am »

Armor only helps the armor encumber less. Get wrestling, thats where all your dodges and stuff are.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 02:33:02 pm »

You get better starting things with better skill.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Jakkarra

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 06:49:00 pm »

fortress mode, cage him, place cage on platform suspended over a pit of lava.

either outright kill him, or have some fun.

alternatively, you could simply lead him around (if this is possible) and troll the landscape 'till you find the nearest elven settlement. heheheh...

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 06:58:03 pm »

I wish you luck. This sounds crazy difficult. Also, how many adventurers have you gone through? If seems that the orcs should die out at some point, correct?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2009, 06:11:59 am »

I should point out that to gouge eyes you need to grab him with a hand, NOT an upper arm/ weapon/ shield.

Or you could sneak in at night, find him, and introduce him to a !!Pigtail sock!!.

1v0ry_k1ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 08:42:41 am »

Im on adventurer no12 now
the dark fortress is down to 34 occupants after my repeated failed attempts at genocide. sooner or later he'll be the only orc left so i can crank in and gank him with a load of boys- Still, that could take a long long time..

The wrestling approach didnt work out, he puts out too much damage to give me time to get both hands on his head. every one of his hits, almost without fail, breaks somthing, propells me backward. not to mention he breaks my grip, pulls out wrestling moves of his own and keeps breaking my arms

I like the idea of getting him to follow me, I wonder if I could pull him all the way back to the human settlement  :P that ought to even things up a bit.

Y'fighting on my turf now, boy

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 08:58:01 am »

You only need to get one hand on his head.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 09:43:39 am »

Are there any dwarves left? introduce him to a hammerer.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 10:59:31 am »

or use yourself as a distraction while your 3 dwarfy pals pound him to a pulp.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 11:52:00 am »

If you're gonna wrestle him I hope you have legendary strength and wrestling. Otherwise you're fucked.

BUT, if you do have those, I really suggest grabbing his hands. It will make it so he can't hit you. You can just grab his arms with your upper arms and then use an empty hand to gouge eyes or since you have his arms then you can just break them. It will render him even more useless then no eyes.

He can still bite though

1v0ry_k1ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2009, 02:48:33 pm »

orc bite dam 1:6, sheeyut

will try though, this sounds promising
Pages: 1 [2] 3