Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help! Java and JAR problem! (Solved...)  (Read 1137 times)

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
Help! Java and JAR problem! (Solved...)
« on: June 05, 2009, 01:43:41 pm »

So I'm making a game for a friend. A fairly simple thing, and I'd like to put everything (class files and a few PNGs) in a JAR. No problem.

Except it doesn't work. The program will run just fine, but the images don't show up. A small tweak (using a URL object to load the image) and it crashes:
Code: [Select]
Uncaught error fetching image:
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at sun.awt.image.URLImageSource.getConnection(URLImageSource.java:97)
        at sun.awt.image.URLImageSource.getDecoder(URLImageSource.java:107)
        at sun.awt.image.InputStreamImageSource.doFetch(InputStreamImageSource.java:240)
        at sun.awt.image.ImageFetcher.fetchloop(ImageFetcher.java:172)
        at sun.awt.image.ImageFetcher.run(ImageFetcher.java:136)
That error pops up whether it's JARed or not...
I'm not familiar with the URL class, but I suspect this error is because I'm not actually doing anything internet related.

So... what hoops do i have to jump through to get at my PNG? I looked around online a bit and my question doesn't seem to be answered anywhere. I suspect that I'll have to open the jar like a compressd file (yes i know, it is) and read my PNG like that. Isn't there be an easier way? One that doesn't care if the program is running as a bunch of class files in a directory or in inside a jar?

EDIT: OK, I tracked down the source of the NullPointerException... java.lang.Class's getResourse(String) method is returning a null instead of a URL...

EDIT: ACK!!!! *facepalm repeatedly* I'm an idiot... it was all caused by a FREAKING TYPO! It works fine now now... *locks the thread*
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 03:31:03 pm by SolarShado »
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch