Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Supreme Commander 2  (Read 2627 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Supreme Commander 2
« on: June 07, 2009, 03:35:56 am »

Mmm... more strategic zoom goodness. I must say, you can definitely see the Square Enix influence in their new design choices (everything has a more exotic flavour now) but I think I'm liking it so far. The map they're showing off looks amazing as well. I like how units that get thrown off the platforms or shot down go tumbling down the giant hole, so it's nice. Maybe they'll let you blow up the buildings as well, hehehehe.

Anyway, thoughts:
1. While I like the overall design and asthetic, there are some units which just look silly. The new fatboy for one looks redonkulous. The megalith moves way too fast and twitchy than it should be and the Cybranzilla looks too small for a super powered ultra experimental.

2. I like the inclusion of a tech tree instead of having to micromanage all your upgrades. It should make things much easier in the heat of battle. Might also incent SOME people into not turtling like a frigging coward.

3. Yay, no more stupid ugly alien race which I can't remember the name of and was basically an overpowered version of the Aeon.

4. Unit launcher looks so cool. Wonder if you can launch experimentals with that thing. Can the incoming units be shot down by AA? The possibilities! We could build cheap T1 bots and have them kamikaze into enemy carriers at sea!

Anyway, the trailer is here:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-supreme-commander/49801

And developer walkthroughs are here:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-supreme-commander/51077
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-supreme-commander/51075

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Supreme Commander 2
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 03:59:04 am »

Cybran... Zilla...

Ug...

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 02:05:05 pm »

...Call me when they make something that trumps Total Annihilation.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 02:06:18 pm »

Call me when they trump the TA spring project.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 02:13:21 pm »

They should have just left it alone.....
Although if they do make it more awesome than the previous installment, even with the 'redonkulous' units, I'll be sure to get it.

EDIT: Jesus, listen to their voices!
"It has refueled the flrames of wrar...."
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 02:18:34 pm by woose1 »

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 03:17:58 pm »

The tech trees seem a bit redundant.  If they are perfectly balanced against eachother, t2 is immediately obsolete because it's the same result for more hassle compared to upgrading t1 crap. If building conventional units is more useful everybody will just practice their micro a for a few days against the "intelligent(something i am highly skeptical about)" AI and never look at the tech trees again.

I don't like the new art style at all. UEF units look like a pile of cardboard boxes, Aeon Order units are all spheres and cybran are a mix between them, boxes with rounded corners. The undead dinosaur cyborg is plain stupid. The maps are essentially still perfectly flat with impassable holes instead of mountains now.

Also, it seems as if they shortened the ranges on everything to standard RTS distance. A big part of the appeal of SC1 was shooting dots on the horizon.

FA, SS, DG and now SC2, everything GPG made since the original Supcom has been a disappointment and this looks no different. The fact that they keep switching publishers gives the idea that the industry has noticed this as well.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 03:35:52 pm »

You have to remember it's pre-alpha pre-pre-pre-alpha-alpha.

engy

• Bay Watcher
  • Military | Science | Consumer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 08:22:26 pm »

2. I like the inclusion of a tech tree instead of having to micromanage all your upgrades. It should make things much easier in the heat of battle. Might also incent SOME people into not turtling like a frigging coward.

3. Yay, no more stupid ugly alien race which I can't remember the name of and was basically an overpowered version of the Aeon.

2. Turtling was not valid at any point from the release of FA onward.  You NEED to control the land.  Mass Fabs just don't work anymore.  Also, you can't really rush nukes anymore.  (Silos you can, nukes you can't...)

3.  Seraphim, their units were suppose to be over powered.  It's why they cost so much more.  (Which kind of sucks on a lot of maps needing land control...) I mean, they had an experimental nuke... and it could fire what.. every 2.5mins.

Anyway... I hope it's good.  I should be if this actually is Pre-Pre Alpha and they don't get rushed out the door.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 09:57:37 pm »

Engy: It was an inside joke addressed to some bay12 members who love to turtle regardless of rhyme or reason.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 10:19:19 pm »

Engy: It was an inside joke addressed to some bay12 members who love to turtle regardless of rhyme or reason.

But its too much work to attack people I just want to build up my base in peace. :(  (tis why I don't play RTSes online)

On supreme commander, didn't play the first, not gonna play the second.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 10:21:03 pm »

Man that guy stumbled.  All video game demo people say "Um" a lot but that's normal since they're playing at the same time, but that guy lost his train of thought entirely about halfway through the second video.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 11:24:43 pm »

Turtling was not valid at any point from the release of FA onward

Yep this was simply by the virtue of offense actually being supperior to defense.

You turtle? Well Eat Big Burtha!

You really do have to be proactive even as a defensive player as if you allow them to enter your space your going to lose.

This isn't to say however that developing your bases instead of going for more offensive strategies was useless... Only that allowing your enemies to take the map and constantly send an uncontested stream of enemies was a great way to lose everytime especially once they have long ranged support which comes as early as Tier 2.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 12:21:18 am by Neonivek »

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 04:58:26 pm »

Me? Yah dick.

This looks good, and its no where near release state as they say, so i have my hopes. I really like the new tech tree, and that the ACU's can acctually fight and look a little more like the TA versions.