Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: LoTR Mafia Ch.1: (Day 2)  (Read 23081 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
LoTR Mafia Ch.1: (Day 2)
« on: June 08, 2009, 04:31:56 am »

LoTR Mafia, Chapter 1:
At the Sign of the Prancing Pony:

Alright folks, another Mafia to add to the bunch, this one with a Lord of the Rings Theme. If you'd like to get in on this, let me know. If you've got questions or comments, share those too!

Hopefully this will get under way once we hit about 16 players.

Player List: (12/14)
Org
Lear
Little
Cheetar
Alexhans (Spy)
Inaluct
Pandarsenic
Servant Corps (Samwise "Sam" Gamgee)
Webadict
Kashyyk
Frelock
Mr. Person
Flintus10
Errol

Each Day, players vote for one Inn-goer to be put to the gallows, and killed.
Each Night, the Nazguls' Agents report to their masters, who then isolate and kill one player.

Free Peoples of Middle Earth:
Win: When all the Forces of Mordor are defeated.
Lose: If the Ringbearer is killed,
Or the Ringbearer is a Man or Nazgul's Agent,
Or the Forces of Mordor outnumber the Free Peoples.

Ringbearer (Special, Unique) The carrier of the One Ring, a wicked artifact of great power, and even greater treachery.
- If killed, his killer becomes the new Ringbearer.
Invoke Ring (Special, Night)
- He may use this power when he is the target of an Investigation or Attack.
- For the Night, he cannot be killed, and may choose to appear as any Race.
- The Ring betrays his Identity to the Nazguls' Agents next Day, and he loses this Power.
Entrust Ring (Night):
- If the target is a Hobbit, they become the new Ringbearer, and gain the Ringbearer Powers (but may not use them on the same Night).
- If the target is a Man or Nazguls' Agent, they become the new Ringbearer, and the Forces of Mordor win.

Frodo Baggins: (Hobbit, Unique) A Hobbit who bears the One Ring, he possesses willpower enough to resist it's corruption.
- He begins as the Ringbearer, and knows the identity of Sam.
- Willpower (Special): He has a 50% chance of using the Invoke Ring power safely, without losing the power or having his identity betrayed. He will be informed if this power is successful or not.

Samwise "Sam" Gamgee: (Hobbit, Unique) A simple, but brave Hobbit, he protects his friends at any cost.
- He knows the identity of Frodo.
- Guardian (Night/Day): Once per day, if the target is going to be killed, Sam is killed instead. He may use it during the Day to take their place at the Gallows, or during the Night to be Killed instead of them.

Peregrin "Pippin" Took: (Hobbit, Unique) A curious and adventurous Hobbit, he tends to make trouble for others.
- He knows the identity of Merry.
- Interfere (Night): Any power that the target player uses this Night fails.

Meriadoc "Merry" Brandybuck: (Hobbit, Unique) A cautious and perceptive Hobbit, he keeps a wary eye on others.
- He knows the identity of Pippin.
- Watch (Night): If his target uses an ability on another player, he receives that player's identity.

Strider: (Man, Unique) A Ranger of the North, who seeks to find and protect the Ringbearer.
- Track (Night): Determine whether the Target is a Man, a Hobbit, or a Nazgul's Agent.

Regular: (Man OR Hobbit) A regular guest at the Prancing Pony.

Drunkard "Strider": (Man) A man with a reputation for drunken delusions.
- He doesn't know his true Role, and instead believes himself to be Strider.
- Track (Night): Target appears to be a Man, a Hobbit, or a Nazgul's Agent at random.

Drunkard "Hobbit": (Hobbit) A hobbit with a reputation for drunken delusions.
- He doesn't know his true Role, and instead believes himself to be a Unique Hobbit, selected at random.
- He will believe that he has the Unique Hobbit's power, and will believe it works as normal, though secretly it will not.
- He will believe that their partner is a matching Drunkard "Hobbit", or a Nazguls' Agent.
- A Nazgul's Agent partner will be informed of their identity and supposed Role.

Forces of Mordor:
Win: If the Ringbearer is killed,
Or the Ring is entrusted to a Man or Nazgul's Agent,
Or the Forces of Mordor outnumber the Free Peoples.
Lose: When all the Forces of Mordor are defeated.

Nazguls' Agent: (Nazguls' Agent) Rumors are told of Dark Riders stalking the streets of Bree at night... and of the dark-hearted townsfolk meeting with them in secret.
- All Nazguls' Agents know one another.
- Each Night, the Nazguls' Agents confer, electing one of their number to mark a player for the Nazgul to attack.
- If the Nazguls' Agent leading the attack is targeted by Pippin, their target is not attacked.

Spy (Man, Unique): This Inn-goer is actually a spy for Sarumon, seeking to contact and inform the Nazguls' Agents.
- Spy (Night): Determine the target's Race and supposed Role (Drunkards will show up as the Role they believe they are).

Neutral Parties:
Win: Whether the forces of Mordor, or the Free Peoples are victorious.
Lose: If they are killed.

Barliman Butterbur: (Man, Unique) The Innkeeper of the Prancing Pony. Although he is a good-natured sort, his foremost concern is to keep his Inn intact.
- Does not count towards either team's total for the purpose of Victory Conditions.
- Innkeeper (Automatic Day): He learns the identity, but not the role, of a Regular, Drunkard "Strider", Strider, or Spy each Day, chosen at random.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 07:06:23 pm by Solifuge »

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NEW LoTR Mafia: Signups!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 07:50:43 am »

Could be interesting, sign me up
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 08:00:34 am »

I'm still in.  I'll read the rules & roles soon.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 08:05:56 am »

Still in, but the Drunkard Hobbit needs to believe that one of the Forces of Mordor is their Hobbit, since the Drunkard could contact the other person and find out they're not.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 09:24:58 am »

In.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 11:01:00 am »

Still in, but the Drunkard Hobbit needs to believe that one of the Forces of Mordor is their Hobbit, since the Drunkard could contact the other person and find out they're not.

Oh, forgot to change that one. I'm a little worried that, if they found out they were a Drunkard, knowing that their contact was definitely a Nazguls' Agent might be unbalancing. Their purpose is to keep Uniques from claiming their role in public to clear their name.

I revised it so that their partner is either a Nazguls' Agent, or another Drunkard "Hobbit".

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 11:03:52 am »

Oh, forgot to change that one. I'm a little worried that, if they found out they were a Drunkard, knowing that their contact was definitely a Nazguls' Agent might be unbalancing. Their purpose is to keep Uniques from claiming their role in public to clear their name.

I revised it so that their partner is either a Nazguls' Agent, or another Drunkard "Hobbit".
Now, dont yell at me if Im wrong, but if Frodo gives Strider the ring, do they lose?

Lear

• Bay Watcher
  • IRO-Bot will never die.
    • View Profile
    • the-crowing-is-near on deviantArt.
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 11:33:48 am »

Yes, the ring corrupts man which would bring about the doom of all the free peoples.

I am still in.
Those were the days, The End Complete.
deviantART - My artworks, let me show you them!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 11:51:19 am »

Yeah, as evidenced by the birth of the Nazgul themselves, Men are especially susceptible to it's call, and would become corrupted to the Dark Lord's will. Think Isildur (dude who first "killed" Sauron), Boromir, and so on.

Oh, taking the idea from Org's original suggestion, I think that, if a Unique doesn't survive this Chapter, they wont be in the subsequent chapters. It could make for an interesting Alternate Universe LoTR if Sam ends up being the Ringbearer in the long run :P
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 11:55:17 am by Solifuge »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 12:15:39 pm »

Yeah, as evidenced by the birth of the Nazgul themselves, Men are especially susceptible to it's call, and would become corrupted to the Dark Lord's will. Think Isildur (dude who first "killed" Sauron), Boromir, and so on.

Oh, taking the idea from Org's original suggestion, I think that, if a Unique doesn't survive this Chapter, they wont be in the subsequent chapters. It could make for an interesting Alternate Universe LoTR if Sam ends up being the Ringbearer in the long run :P
I always thought that Aragorn would have the strength of mind to carry the ring.

Taking the idea I had? Good.

So, what would be after this? Meeting at Rivendell?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 12:36:41 pm »

We could even have a Moria Mafia.

The mafia could be a group of orcs trying to overthrow the balrog, or something.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 12:42:31 pm »

We could even have a Moria Mafia.

The mafia could be a group of orcs trying to overthrow the balrog, or something.
Or The Fellowship getting out...

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 01:02:33 pm »

The drunken "hobbit" seems to have a few more problems.  Also, a small problem with Sam.

1. A drunken hobbit who believes himself to be Frodo will immediately notice that he does not have the ring.

2. There's a really easy way to test whether your partner is a nazgul.  "I'm a hobbit.  What's my name?"  If you're actually a hobbit, then your partner would get it right 100% of the time.  If your a drunken hobbit with another drunken partner, assuming that they're paired up correctly, you'd still get it right 100% of the time (if not, then it's real easy to tell you're a drunken hobbit, as you're not paired up with the right partner).  If you're partner is a nazgul, he's only got a 25% chance of guessing correctly.

3. If a drunken hobbit believes he is Pippin, then he'll immediately know he's a drunk, due to the fact that he'll get "blocked" when he's the only one who can block.  Merry would also know that he's a drunk, due to the fact that his partner would never block him.

4. Simply put, killing Sam is a requirement for the Nazgul to get the ring, as Sam will always protect the known ring-bearer (and he'll know who it is, since Frodo can tell him who he's entrusting it to).  A Sam who has the ring nearly guarantees the nazgul cannot take the ring, as he can just protect himself, and therefore cannot be night-killed.

My personal suggestions for solutions of these problems:
1. Give a fake Frodo a fake ring (doesn't actually have any powers, can be given from one character to another).

2. A nazgul who has a drunken hobbit as a "partner" is told his partner's supposed role.  If a drunken hobbit is paired with another drunken hobbit, then the pairs are made as if they were real hobbits.

3. a) A drunken "Sam" or "Pippin" always believe their protection/roleblocking was successful.
b) A drunken "Merry" will know if he is blocked by the drunken "Pippin," and will know if the drunken "Pippin" visited his target.  Otherwise, he gets the result that no-one visited his target.

4. Sam cannot protect himself.

This seems complicated, but it does make it very hard to know if you're a drunken hobbit.  It would be especially funny if the entire town got behind protecting the fake ring while the real one goes unprotected.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 01:07:14 pm »

No.

A Drunken who thinks he is Frodo should have a fake ring. It will make them think it works, and they can give it to others, but it actually does nothing.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 01:20:17 pm »

No.

A Drunken who thinks he is Frodo should have a fake ring. It will make them think it works, and they can give it to others, but it actually does nothing.

Umm, no to what, specifically?

As to your other comment, hence my solution number 1.  Thanks for reading the post all the way through.
All generalizations are false....including this one.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15