Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Curiosity  (Read 5897 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Curiosity
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 06:24:09 am »

Pulling levers is too much.  And assigning someone to watch kids full-time is perhaps excessive.

But implemented in a lesser fashion, this would at least provide a use for toys.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 11:45:53 am »

Pulling levers is FUN as long as there is a way to stop kids from getting at them.

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 12:47:39 pm »

Adult-only zones. Fortress guard.
Clearance and keys.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Pyrophoricity

• Bay Watcher
  • [TEA_OR_COFFEE: TEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 12:57:45 pm »

I'm in favour of this purely because it'd mean less idle children and fewer legendary comedian immigrant children growing up to become mayor.

On a more serious note, I'm all for "fun" with crazy happenings but having to build and lock doors around every lever to stop tiny Tim from ruining the waterfall system seems like it'd annoy everyone, or lead to some very disturbing actions from players "removing" children to prevent the threat.

Personally I'd visage dwarf children to be more into playing games, be they ball games, games of tag or that old favourite 'Flog the Goblin'
wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!)
Why not read DaggerStatic: A community fort? http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39205.0

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 01:08:30 pm »

Maybe they should start pulling levers only if there are no toys? And/or if they have certain personality traits? Levers can lead to such hilarious and complex disasters - and there are far too few gremlins and similar monsters in the game to screw around with them.

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 01:19:50 pm »

Isn't it reasonable to assume the dwarfs would put levers high enough above the ground that the tykes can't reach them?
Also, dwarfs were probably early with child-safe mechanical contraptions...

That said, kids should have the possibility to get into more trouble, but it should be possible to curb without too much trouble too.
Alpha version? More like elf aversion!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 01:46:36 pm »

No, I don't think children pulling levers should ever happen.  It's, potentially, much too catastrophic an outcome for not knowing about one fairly minor setting -- and it requires fiddly micromanagement around levers that, again, is basically no-brainer stuff (there is no reason to not put levers in adults-only zones, say.)  Players shouldn't be forced to manage things that do not represent actual choices on some level, especially not with "press this button to not lose" kind of things.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Pyrophoricity

• Bay Watcher
  • [TEA_OR_COFFEE: TEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 02:12:37 pm »

To be honest, If I lived in a small underground fort surrounded by drunken, vomited covered bearded men and women the last thing I would want to do would be do annoy them by messing with levers.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say dwarvern parents don't give "time outs" in the usual sense..
wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!)
Why not read DaggerStatic: A community fort? http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39205.0

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 02:20:35 pm »

Dwarven children could pull levers that aren't hooked up to anything, but I think it'd be a bad game mechanism to have them pull levers that are hooked up to something--it's too much annoyance for something that won't give much benefit.

However, the children should move things, break things, go missing, injure themselves, and more.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 02:26:25 pm »

Some minor bothers fixed with a minor solution - making some random toys - seems reasonable.

Having them pull a doomsday lever when the fort isn't properly sealed just because there aren't toys, however, does not seem reasonable.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 02:30:35 pm »

Pulling the doomsday lever would be a good thing for possessed children to do.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 11:16:43 pm »

Sounds like fun, but only certain kids should end up with the 'unruly' trait. Of course, you're opening the door to a whole new line of professions, like dwarven schooling, dwarven truancy officers and a whole new use for the chalk I dig up! Anything to make my mature forts for hectic and full of death is welcome.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 11:35:12 pm »

Hectic and full of death sounds great, and so does having some kid-oriented professions, but I'm still pretty much against kids pulling death-levers. If an adult does it, atleast it's an accident, a crime, an act of aggression, something, but if a kid does it, not only is my Fortress fucked, I don't even have anyone to blame (including myself).

I'd like to hear more about Silverionmox's idea for possessed kids, though.
For they would be your masters.

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 11:41:52 pm »

Carol Anne, go into the light.
Computer says 'No'.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 11:47:48 pm »

Creeeeepy.  :-X

So yeah, I can blame those indigenous bastards for not lying quietly in the shallow graves we threw their asses in, after my dwarfs murdered them all.
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6