Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24

Author Topic: The New Flagship of the Dwarven Empire: (Re: if you have something to add)  (Read 197790 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: The New Flagship of the Dwarven Empire: (PROGRESS: Taking a break.)
« Reply #270 on: January 31, 2010, 10:58:24 pm »

You have to ask yourselves why all these dwarves leap straight into their deaths again and again.
Because it's the will of the ship.

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The New Flagship of the Dwarven Empire: (PROGRESS: Taking a break.)
« Reply #271 on: January 31, 2010, 11:21:32 pm »

That makes sense: the possessions that occur all the time? That's the ship trying to communicate.

EDIT:
I sort of want to know what the artifacts are now, so we can try to piece together what the ship wants.

EDIT: This is just a theory, but perhaps whatever the Bloodfist will become, or turn dwarves into, will be so powerful that nature itself is conspiring against it. The Caveswallows, the goblins, the earth not yielding her bounty...

Perhaps it is defending itself, or...

Perhaps it is defending dwarf kind. Or maybe it is like a clingy mother, wanting to keep her children from the skies.

It is time for the dwarves to grow up and leave home. It's like they try to pack their bags but Earth unpacks them.

We cannot give up. We have to show the Earth that we don't need her.

EDIT AGAIN: Also, I think it'd be badass to have a "living" energy source, maybe a bunch of cats or something, because biological energy sources make something that much creepier

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: The New Flagship of the Dwarven Empire: (PROGRESS: And back in motion.)
« Reply #272 on: February 04, 2010, 12:45:01 am »

HUZZAH! Because I left early enough in the previous season, I only had to "wait" a short time before the next reclaimers arrived. Sweet! ;D

Anyway, I seriously reconsidered what I was bringing with me, and holy crap, did I reconsider. I seriously limited what I was bringing with me, and followed my own advice, and it worked like a charm.

Of course, I was naturally going to clean out the chasm and bottomless pits first thing, but I always ended up either losing 1 or 2 dwarves which would then put a stranglehold on my reclaiming party just as it arrived. And yes, I considered both options; same result. Alternative solution? For one, keep attention inside the fort, only clean it and several meters away from it, no further; restock the seeds the hard way instead of foraging the outlands where the giants are many. Plus, with armies of novices, no wonder I lost the few. Basically, getting seeds the hard way means eat and brew, eat and brew, and repeat until I have thousands of my own. Of course, to get an adequate supply in short time, I would have to hire half my team with remotely any skill to farm, and rely on my hungry-ass dwarves to eat damn-near everything in the fort, and choose to eat in the dining room on the ass end of it if they want something more snazzy than a dirt wall. The results were surprising.

And as if the titles aren't enough, just guess who I have on the task of engineering the remainder of the ship and it's engines and working on the computer.

Spoiler: Y10S1: Chronic Trigger (click to show/hide)

I'm actually confident that she might actually finish this damned ship once and for all.

Oh, and sorry about the delay and a lack of rapid-fire updates. I was pretty busy yesterday, today, and might be busy tomorrow; plus, I tried opening up in a few different ways (savescumming to find an ideal beginning, who'd think that weapon trap cave-sealant would be of so much use? That rocked. ;D

I'm going to have to remember to do that any other times bottomless pits and magma pools/enclosed pipes are involved. Especially if a project site is going to be reclaimed many more times than this sucker. Reclaiming was actually many times easier, and it was rather shocking to see that those millions of rats and bats stayed where they spawned from.

I might have to have another go at this fort in Adventure Mode if I can, provided traps still work against creatures, but not on the adventurer. Otherwise, I'll just have to hire some fools to check out the ship with me, or at least, make sure I have plenty of happy, healthy, godly-skilled dwarves at the site when I abandon it to check it out later.

EDIT:
Considering success regarding fixing the food issue, I can't help but to think this theme as I play this leader now: link
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 04:54:51 pm by Itnetlolor »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #273 on: February 05, 2010, 12:52:08 am »

I am rather amazed at how well this is going. I didn't expect that plan to hit it off so easily and so effectively. It's gotten so bad, I'm actually running out of space to keep fresh stuff. To be safe, it's now time for my chefs to show their stuff, and process it along with the brewers (since they should have enough seeds extracted by now. Which reminds me, I forgot to add the essence extraction to their tasks.

Spoiler: Y10S2: Green Dream (click to show/hide)

I'm confident these guys may actually last longer than a year now, provided they don't get depressed (with half the fort ecstatic? Really?) or decide to go exploring (which I'll have an eagle-eye on, thank you.). One thing's for certain: Nobody's going to raid the merchants' wagons anymore, and maybe I can finally clean up on the sales for some materials for once in ages.

Lucca is, by far, my favorite reclaimer so far. She's just plain epic at this rate. She built the engines, finished the emblem, is nearly done with the bridge of the ship, and prevented fort hunger/sobriety.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 01:01:21 am by Itnetlolor »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 05, 2010, 01:15:13 am »

Sounds excellent. I sure hope it doesn't fail. Stock up on food (just in case it does, you'll need plenty of good food to keep the reclaimers happy), and
TRAP EVERYTHING.

EDIT: Actually that seems a bit presumptuous. Obviously you are much better than I, a mere newbie with only one or two successful forts. These are merely things that would be really cool to have; of course, I cannot presume to give you advice.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 01:16:55 am by Cheddarius »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: The New Flagship of the Dwarven Empire: (PROGRESS: 20,000 VIEWS!!!!)
« Reply #275 on: February 06, 2010, 03:33:37 pm »

Here's last night's update. Sorry about the delay. I finished late, and today was a bit rough. Here it is. And hopefully, I should get today's done as well.

Oh, and thanks for the support. 20,000 views! Woo!

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #276 on: February 06, 2010, 04:36:07 pm »

Methinks our noble designer likes Chrono Trigger and possibly Chrono Cross as well.  Just a hunch.
Sanity is for the weak.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #277 on: February 06, 2010, 04:41:13 pm »

Just working with a theme per leader. I figured the engineering parts would be most fitting for the last reclaiming parties.

EDIT:
I'm probably going to take a short hiatus for tonight and tomorrow. I'm just not in the mood right now to handle the situation. RL crap. Maybe the day after as well due to celebrating my birthday.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 09:58:59 pm by Itnetlolor »

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 07, 2010, 03:18:18 pm »

This ship has inspired me to make a dwarf-ship of my own :D

also, I see why the imp escaped: you have a ramp leading from the pit to the outside world, which is unguarded. it is on the left side of the pit. Put some cage traps there for the future, or at least a locked door.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 07, 2010, 08:23:12 pm »

imps can actually open locked doors, they are glitched like that
Nom nom nom

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #280 on: February 07, 2010, 11:01:54 pm »

Can't imps fly?

It'd be pointless. Plus, making a rock dome/mausoleum/sacrificial pit is more dwarfy.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 08, 2010, 06:28:25 pm »

Imps cannot fly,  they should be able to, but they can't
Nom nom nom

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #282 on: February 10, 2010, 11:28:57 pm »

Well, that sucked. Define hubris for me please? Oh wait, let my report tell you instead.

Spoiler: Y10S4: The Fated Hour (click to show/hide)

I mean really. What the hell?! I thought you told me these things don't fly! I capped off the only entrance it could've come from, and I got ambushed by 2 more of them after the slaughter of their friend near the end of the season.

Really, this sucks big time.

EDIT:
Copy-pasting from HAPPY thread (since it's more relevant here).
Finally found the time to get an update done with the Bloodifst (and discovered a disturbing truth while at it). My project is possessed.

I noticed that everytime I either work on it for a dwarven year, or make plans to work on it, it doesn't want me to finish it. My freaking project is yandere towards me (It's clinging to me, and wants to last as long as possible). The good? Why I'm happy? I managed to take notice of it. Hopefully I can now plan accordingly so I can finish the damn thing once and for all.

Oh, and I might finally have a way to at least prevent everything from being destroyed (bridges and such) during the obligatory tantrum spiral in my project. I have all my drafted troops (every resident inflicted with raeg) gathered in the grand dining hall where it's stocked with food, and above the living quarters. If I'm lucky, I should be able to continue the project with 25% of my reclaiming team still intact.

As added security, I'll have my only sane residents work on sealing all entries into the fort (including the trapways), so I won't have to go cross-country to gather lost goods. Why not?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 12:08:46 am by Itnetlolor »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 10, 2010, 11:35:19 pm »

Dang. You have a wave of crazy-free migrants, though, right? Even if all the first waves die they won't be affected.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #284 on: March 01, 2010, 06:41:29 pm »

Okay, I finally found time to work on this beast. Personally, I'm surprised with the turnout.

Spoiler: Y11S1: Frozen Flame (click to show/hide)

Now let's hope she can keep her head on for another year.

I'm open to mural ideas for the cap/tomb.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 06:45:28 pm by Itnetlolor »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24