Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24

Author Topic: The New Flagship of the Dwarven Empire: (Re: if you have something to add)  (Read 197752 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Gentledwarves, behold...
ARMOK'S GAUNTLET!!!

AKA (due to the vocabulary of DF)

Nazushdur Anrizgeshud Nòm

Bloodfist the Sky-Fortress of God

The ultimate in Dwarven Technology
Completed: April 4, 2010 (8:43 PM -5 GMT)

Hand Drawn Plans:
Spoiler: Page 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Page 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Features: (click to show/hide)

Megaproject Progress: 8) (Done)
 8) Planning (Done)
 8) Development (Done)
 8) Construction (Done)
 8) Deployment (Done)

Refined Blueprints (Lego Digital Designer): (Added 6-26-09) (Updated 6-29-09)
Spoiler: Bottom Deck (Docking) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 2nd Deck (Trade Depot) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Top (6th) Deck (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Whole Ship (click to show/hide)
LEGO Price: 793.89 USD

Spoiler: Special Features (click to show/hide)

Vector LOGO (added to front; sorta overdue: 7-13-09)
Refined (Photoshopped) LOGO (4-4-10):
I finally got the plans of the mighty dwarven airship developed.

10000 Views:
OP cleaned up more (reorganized and optimized; easier to navigate. Continuing megaproject.)

15000 Views:
(Added 12/28/09)
Spoiler: VisFort pics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Stonesense (click to show/hide)

20000 views:
Sorry, but to make up for a lack of promise, I have decided to post a more recent update of my progress via VisFort.

25000 views (Another delay. Sorry.):
I'll maybe just post some update pictures to make up for previous. And since DF2010 is releasing soon enough anyway, how about I try to upload my saves when that comes across. In the meantime, I'll keep you busy with a constant stream of Visfort (and maybe Stonesense) updates; and I will do what I can to triple- or Double-update until I finish in the next couple days.

Anyone else is free to replicate my work, or improve upon it. Hell, I could even upload it for anyone to do a succession fort on, or to see how it feels to rule the skies, and scare the ever-loving crap out of the elves, seeing as it's nearly self-sufficient as well as a titanic "carp" in the sky.

Maps are updated at the beginning of the next season(s)/year(s).

The messages will be records for the whole year(s)/season(s) prior (IE, 1=4, 2=1 etc.). I'll try to keep the records updated as often as possible, and fill in the blanks if there any.

Message Carrier-Pipes archive (Now divided into chapters/years):
Construction Log (By map): Project Year (#) Season (1= Sp, 2= Su, 3= Au, 4= Wi)

Spoiler: NOTES: (click to show/hide)

Thank you for your patience and interest in my megaproject.

Special Thanks to my fans and whoever Troped my ship as a Military Mashup Machine. If not for that, I probably wouldn't have been getting so many hits. Further credits to any other obscure sites I may have come across that has made mention of my megaproject as well. Knowing that it has caught the interest of people I didn't even expect to see take interest has further motivated me to continue my project as to not disappoint. And of course, everyone here at Bay 12 for keeping interest in this project and being patient with me producing this flying artifact menacing with spikes of awesomeness.

Of course, most special thanks goes to Tarn Adams (The Almighty Toady One) for producing such an awesome game for allowing me to complete a year-long fey mood.

Saves Collection (DFFD):
(NOTE: You must shut off [CAVE-INS] and have DFG22 (Mayday graphics) installed for this to work correctly.
I am puzzled why this may be the case.
Assistance in figuring this out is welcomed. In any other case, Here's the link to the RAWS to render the saves playable now.)
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Now you can relive the experience yourself.

Links:
Want a Grand Tour of this thing in Minecraft? Check it out.
Now you can import it to your maps too (40k reward, as well as it took me long enough  :P (link is in my sig as well))
Bloodfist Schematics
(MCEdit schematics: variable states from all closed to all open, plus one with an extended bridge; also included are schematics for the props, bridges and planks free to use.)
Mine-craft +2750 served

Future Succession or Community Game (No link yet, but will soon enough; not for Bloodfist, but it's potential successor)

EDIT: Concerning troubles with my saves. (11-7-10)
I've been notified plenty of times that the Bloodfist saves have had RAW incompatibilities. As far as I can determine, all I really did was install a Mayday pack and shut off cave-ins. Looking back, you may need to get a really old version of mayday's graphics pack. DFG22 if I recall correctly was what I used. Hopefully this should mend the issue. I apologize for the inconvenience, and not figuring this out sooner. RAWS Folder has been added.

EDIT EDIT: (2-19-11)
It seems A successor may be in the works...

EDIT EDIT EDIT: (3-26-13)
Pardon the vast delay, but I am finally working on the ship. For real, this time. Planning phase is a go.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT: (1-23-2016)
Links are updated. Now they should work. Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 09:02:10 pm by Itnetlolor »

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The new flagship of the Dwarven Empire: (Megaproject In Progress)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 12:16:01 am »

ah the references. Looks pretty cool, I may take up your offer on replicating it.

As for the name Armok's Gauntlet it pretty good, or maybe Armok's Hammer.
Don't go drowning your boss for telling you to work.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 12:24:37 am »

This iis going to be a great big build, and I foresee people talking about making it a magma, or subterranean boat.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 12:26:47 am by Foa »

McSmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 12:33:50 am »

It definitely needs a bomb bay, so you can rain single 7/7 blocks of magma down on your enemies.
Engraved on the wall is a masterfully designed image of elves. The elves are weeping.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 12:35:49 am »

What can I say? I'm the dwarven Jules Verne. BTW, I'd like to see anyone develop a weapon capable of reaching this HFS (Huge F***ing Ship).

It definitely needs a bomb bay, so you can rain single 7/7 blocks of magma down on your enemies.
That might weigh down the ship considerably, let's not forget, it would be pretty difficult to add it in without igniting the ship renaming it the "Phoenix".
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 12:37:22 am by Itnetlolor »

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 12:41:36 am »

Build in a magma-filled secondary wall for extra fun, use it to fuel the cannons.  :D
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 12:45:39 am »

This iis going to be a great big build, and I foresee people talking about making it a magma, or subterranean boat.
Took me half a moment to catch that.

That gives me an idea. I should probably add a giant drill to the head,  and make sure one of my dwarves are armed to the teeth with explosives. You know, to cave in the tunnel it gets out of. But at the same time, I'll keep weary of a couple young troublemakers thinking of taking over the ship and piercing the heavens with it's drill. Just who the hell do they think I am?

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 12:48:59 am »

Have you considered building also a zepelin-like baloon on top? In case that rotors would not be enough?
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 12:52:32 am »

A balloon is a good idea.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 12:52:58 am »

That would mean trading with the elves for a TO-ON of rope reed cloth and rope. Let's not forget, much precious booze would be wasted to produce adequate gas to lift this sucker.

Even though it's mostly wooden, it's still damn heavy.

For one, the balloon would have to be utterly massive, close to 1.5x size of the boat alone. Let's not forget, the props could endanger the support ropes that hold the balloon. And furthermore, the engines are designed to last.

Why else would I mount 6 per side, 3 per block? Backups like mad.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 12:55:12 am by Itnetlolor »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 12:54:02 am »

It will defy physics.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 12:55:41 am »

You should name it Various Nonsense Mobile Battle Fortress.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 01:11:11 am »

If you wanted additional nonsense to this monster; I previously intended the engine blocks to be able to slightly change pitch. Almost like a V-22 Osprey.

So it could also function as a speed-cruiser. Why else would it also possess a boat-like shape?

In case engines crap-out, it can still land in water as well as a desert, provided the sand is a fine-enough grain and soft enough. Basically crash-landing/sliding up/down a giant sand dune or something. Let's just hope sandworms wouldn't be nearby. I don't think dwarves know much about using thumpers.

Then again, if they can mine through adamantine, then they could probably pierce the carapace of Shai-Hulud.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 01:17:38 am by Itnetlolor »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 01:15:44 am »

Hahahahaha, oooohhhh mmmmyyyyy arrrrmmookkk... That is amazing...

I wish... and I mean I WISH!!! That such a machine could be implemented and used for wide scale conquering and weight isn't an issue! Move from HFS to HFS stealing all the adamantines >.<

Hey, who wants to make a digger to go to the center of the earth?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 01:16:32 am »

and they walk with loud stomping sounds at well.

as a contingency plan for this, you should keep some kobold thieves prisoner on the ship. when they run away, the worms will(hopefully) follow them. if not..'

i hope you land near rocks
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24