Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24

Author Topic: The New Flagship of the Dwarven Empire: (Re: if you have something to add)  (Read 197777 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: The new flagship of the Dwarven Empire: (Megaproject In Progress)
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 01:48:59 am »

I just noticed a mundane, yet dangerous, error on my part.

I forgot to add some carping rudders to it! :smacks forehead:

I wouldn't be able to navigate it without those in either air, sea, sand, or (for a moment) magma. I could also possibly include elevators and ailerons to the engine-mount wings for additional maneuverability. All, of course, independently lever operated by either cabin.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 02:39:21 am »

P.S.- Do waterwheels move even without water beneath them? Provided of course, they are powered by other sources. Otherwise, I better find out how to further modify the steam power to make it further operational. I already have the data I need to to make the modification. I just need to know this tidbit in case I need to modify or not.

How does steam power work in DF?

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 03:10:18 am »

P.S.- Do waterwheels move even without water beneath them? Provided of course, they are powered by other sources. Otherwise, I better find out how to further modify the steam power to make it further operational. I already have the data I need to to make the modification. I just need to know this tidbit in case I need to modify or not.

How does steam power work in DF?

As well as elf power.

This looks sweet.
Needs magma cannons, cooled with water though.
How else can we machinegun blast the elves with fiery death?

Jong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 05:20:44 am »

If you were really OCD, you could make it entirely out of feather wood...

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 12:01:46 pm »

Have you thought about turning cave-ins off and building this monster 10 Zs into the sky from a construction tower that can be collapsed from the ship? leaving you isolated in the sky...
CHALLANGE COMMUNITY FORT!
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 12:33:28 pm »

It needs something that blows up kittens on board.  Or maybe you could just dump them overboard.

And how about "The revenge of Boatmurdered" as a name?

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 01:13:52 pm »

So does this badboy fly in the sky,or are you going to make a dry dock near the ocean and build it in there, a few Z levels above the ground with only a thin column of wood holding it up?
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 02:31:33 pm »

Build four columns at the edges of the map, and pave the sky with clear glass.  Then hang the fortress by ropes.

"You can barely see the strings!"

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 02:42:29 pm »

steel plate the bottom so you can sail in magma!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 02:51:02 pm »

You should name it Various Nonsense Mobile Battle Fortress.
Bad idea.  Terribly bad luck to give a ship the same name as another.  The VNMBF fell apart quickly, too.  Naming something after it, even with a "II" at the end, would surely be a bad omen.

Armok's Gauntlet sounds like the best option.

For weapons, I recommend a renewable source of animals for food and bones to feed soldiers and produce bolts.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 03:08:53 pm »

I suggest that you name it something with "boat" in it.
Then whenever you kill something you can say it got boatmurdered. ;D

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 03:14:57 pm »

Dammit, I was going to do this as soon as I was done with my current fort.

Now I have to think of some other idea.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 03:39:37 pm »

I think the only solution to this is a (modded) fight to the death between your airships.

Gculk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 04:36:46 pm »

Dude, what the flaming jesus tits?  You're taking Dwarves to the air?  Dwarven boats should travel underground like worms, not in the air.  What do you want, to try and match the elf fairies?  Curse you Urist McAirship!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 04:42:56 pm »

Have you thought about turning cave-ins off and building this monster 10 Zs into the sky from a construction tower that can be collapsed from the ship? leaving you isolated in the sky...
CHALLANGE COMMUNITY FORT!
Actually, I had a less costly idea, which can be recycled in case I want to start a community fortress (however, I'm new to the community thing).

I would have cave-ins off, naturally (see facepalm moment and cause of the facepalm), and furthermore I would construct a bridge from a docking station, build a small pathway of floor tiles until I reach my desired range from the platform, and start working on the bottom deck and retractable doorway/bridge from the ship, and construct upwards while forming a stockpile in the cargo bay for shorter trips. After the doorway and bottom deck are formed, the starter bridge would be dismantled; but the bridge and doorway into the ship must remain down lest it drop from the sky as we disconnect the starter bridge. Before disembarking, would cave-ins be turned off.

Both towers to be used for community games would be at a good enough distance to not be visible when taking screenshots of the whole ship alone (centered). There should also not be any building "residue" left behind as you go up Z levels either because of the bridges being retracted (both ship and dry docks), leaving a nice clear sky with open space; bottom deck and up. This would leave it rather aesthetically pleasing and simpler for screenshots.

I read my share of communes (including the boat one... Dread Ship Bellsmaw within the Fondled Waters... "Pirates of the Fondled Waters"), and figure I want the environment to be storytelling potential as well as calm enough for me to get the project done; but I don't want the player to have difficulty with taking screenshots (modding them to look like somewhere else, or erasing sky tiles with constructions beneath them.), and furthermore, I want the ship to look sweet when recording movies or taking screenshots as well. The engine block alone will have all sorts of moving parts all over it. Screw pumps, millstones, mechanisms, wooden axles, etc. anything that moves when affected by powered mechanisms will be used for aesthetic effect (however a free millstone will be available as a "bright idea" for dwarves that want to MacGuyver a milling station out of the engine block.) I could probably try to make a mist machine to simulate steam power as well, plus use pressure switches to add more moving parts.

Oh, and in case anyone forgot, the well is perfectly functional no matter the Z-level. However, I may need water beneath the craft to serve multiple purposes. But primarily so water can always be lifted sans effort. It would still take time depending on the altitude, and because it's within the mess hall. It would make sense parties would be thrown like mad in there.

Dude, what the flaming jesus tits?  You're taking Dwarves to the air?  Dwarven boats should travel underground like worms, not in the air.  What do you want, to try and match the elf fairies?  Curse you Urist McAirship!
Match the Elf faeries? This thing's mostly made of wood; armed to the teeth, and has grappling ballistae to feed dwarves pegusai rotisserie style.

Match the Elven in the sky? No, no, no, no, no, nnn-O.

OBLITERATE THEM FROM THE SKY WITH THE FIST OF AN ANGRY GOD!!! IN THE NAME OF ARMOK, FOR THIS SHIP IS CHRISTENED HIS ALMIGHTY GAUNTLET!!!!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 04:44:41 pm by Itnetlolor »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24