Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24

Author Topic: The New Flagship of the Dwarven Empire: (Re: if you have something to add)  (Read 197753 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: The new flagship of the Dwarven Empire: (Megaproject In Progress)
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2009, 08:18:07 pm »

Dude, what the flaming jesus tits?  You're taking Dwarves to the air?  Dwarven boats should travel underground like worms, not in the air.  What do you want, to try and match the elf fairies?  Curse you Urist McAirship!
Raining death on the elves from the sky, something they previously relied on for rain?   That's dwarfy, dude!

Make the elves fear the open sky, and force them into the ground so that they may embark on the long, long, long path towards being almost as good as dwarves.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2009, 10:28:03 pm »

Uristson Airship?
Which you can eventually upgrade to Armokson Starship.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2009, 11:43:08 pm »

That might weigh down the ship considerably, let's not forget, it would be pretty difficult to add it in without igniting the ship renaming it the "Phoenix".

Constructions don't burn. Are you referring to flavor-wise?

As for the name, I'd suggest something Dwarven. That is, in the Dwarven language. They don't have a word for gauntlet, and the word for hammer is nil, so how about Armok's Otad? (Armok's Hand). Does anyone know how the articles translate? Some other ideas:

Alnis Lorsãth (War Eagle)
Anriz Geshud (Sky Fortress)
Udar of Terstum (Rain of Destruction)
Nīm of the Umid-ing Anriz (God of the Falling Sky)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2009, 12:09:09 am »

Why limit ourself to what exists?
We can make up a dwarven word for gauntlet and mod it in!

Meanwhile:
Nist Nil Armok. It is Or.

On a related note, we need smaller words like it's, negative (as in not), etc.
Then we can craft dwarven sentences!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2009, 11:05:46 pm »

UPDATE:
I'm kicking off the project...

I decided to borrow Yuhhaur's everything 6x6 spot (modified a bit to supply more wood. 8x10 or something, more woodland included. I'll try again tomorrow if it doesn't work. Sacrifices... But I'm sure my computer can handle it.)

In other news:

Due to the vocabulary of DF I semi-renamed my ship.

Nazushdur Anrizgeshud Nom

Bloodfist the Sky-Fortress of God

As well, I now have a construction team.  The name of the team comes with their own self-titled theme song, composed by a 4 bug team of beetles. The team (and their theme song) is called Ekirstetnin Anriz Doren (IE- "Lucidinn the Sky of Diamonds").

(Okay, I couldn't resist.)

I made sure to bring with me enough copper (and seek out ores; there seems to be plenty) for the steam-powered machinery.

Unfortunately, this area lacks bauxite. So I'll have to keep the smelting and glass operations local via fortification canal. I'm more comfortable with that setup anyway. Easier to plan; plus, not my top priority to manipulate magma anyway.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 12:40:29 am by Itnetlolor »

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2009, 03:27:07 am »

Hehe

Nom Nom Nom
God of god of god.
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2009, 03:35:02 am »

lol shouldn't it be Nazushdur Anrizgeshud Armok? xD
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2009, 03:41:04 am »

I concur.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2009, 04:07:33 am »

Lol english isn't my 1st language. What is concur? :3
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2009, 04:54:41 am »

Lol english isn't my 1st language. What is concur? :3
It means the same as "agree"
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2009, 04:56:54 am »

haha thanks =)

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2009, 10:52:21 am »

Then we can craft dwarven sentences!
Engraved on the wall is a superiorly designed sentence containing an adverb and a verb by Urist McWriter. The adverb is modifying the verb.

By the way, god is nīm, not nom.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2009, 12:17:32 pm »

I concur.
Unfortunately Armok isn't in the vocabulary (for some reason); so this is the next best thing.

But you have to admit; for being mostly made of wood, this thing's got a pretty metal name.

Hell, I've even decided to design it's emblem and craft it on the topside; provided I build the open space wide enough. Blood aside, what red materials (besides bauxite, since it doesn't exist where I embarked) can I use? I may have to get some red rope-reed or something and make a banner and hang it off the side. I may need a light and dark shade red to make it look right.

Update for the project so far: I have my construction yard underway, as well as farms and such to make the colony survive, and I'm beginning crafting some mechanisms and such so I can trade for some anvils for more stuff later on. And fortunately, my embark location has quite a bit of copper; so I'm skilling up my miner so I can have plenty of steam-engine parts made. I've got an adequate wood supply thus far, and have crafted some beds tables and chairs for the colony, soon to be transported onto the ship.

Before I build it though, I'll be running some experiments to make sure things will look/function correctly. I don't want this thing to drop from the sky once finished because I botched my own blueprints you know. This isn't a megaproject to humiliate myself. BTW, despite the location and embark size, everything's running at a smooth 50 FPS pace thus far; and I'm purposely keeping value relatively low until I have everything setup (however, I lack an appraiser so, not yet knowing tha total value of my ship; but it'll be nice, got a proficient architect to work on this.). I don't want any unnecessary raids and migrants to arrive... Not yet, at least. I'll probably cap it for the time being.

Seeing as this is my first megaproject; how does everyone manage their constructions to be as efficient as possible? Because I'm utilizing my colony to have floodgates at key points so it's plenty efficient access to the construction site; yet secure enough in case there are any raids. BTW, the mountainside I have setup camp in is a little oddball in setup, and pretty large, so... Less travel, quicker building.

I'll post my project site, thus far, soon; Link will be on front page. Fortunately, the guy that told us of the location granted my leader with a messenger falcon; the map will arrive soon. Give him time.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2009, 12:29:39 pm »

Here are some red stones, with shades:
Cinnabar (light), Kaolinite (dark), petrified wood (light), realgar (light), and hematite (dark)
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2009, 01:24:01 pm »

Now somebody needs to make a landing pad for the thing on the back of giant turtle.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24