Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24

Author Topic: The New Flagship of the Dwarven Empire: (Re: if you have something to add)  (Read 197759 times)

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile

Wow

This is so many types of awesome...

If you pull this off, and you MUST pull it off, you'll probably go down in Dwarf History

In an engraving

Talking to Armok
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Hey i just had a good idea for something else the heart could pump. You mentioned de-icer well liquor never freezes so you could have it pump booze as a sort of tribute to your wealth  gained through battle. and if you want you could rig a system to test the booze bomb concept by igniting the liquor and see what happens.
Why not modify it to also serve as a flamethrower while I'm at it? Just use the excess pressure valves the boilers use to build up pressure, set alight the heart valves, and let loose with a big ol' *vamoosh*. Put a ballista bolt in there, and now we have flaming missiles, and a flamethrower. This is the burning passion of Dwarfkind after all, along with the fury of Armok himself. 8)

I guess we can also link up a sort of system that allows that. But first, let me finish the basic (original) version first. When I lend everyone the ship to mess around with, go nuts with modifying it (I designed it with that in mind). Just remember to shut off cave-ins; otherwise it'll begin to look like the Hindwarfberg.

The Hindwarfberg, that's what happens when you use pig-tail cloth, booze, and magma to propel a massive gas (vaporbooze, or sublime booze) balloon-class airship. You'll never see anything else disappear that fast. It disintegrates before it makes contact with the ground.

EDIT:
A funny thought occurred. If/when crap eventually gets included in the game... :Evil grin: I'm gonna need more barrels, a way to ignite them, and some targets. ;D

Other alternative bombs are also packing barrels with war rhesus macques; or dumping bins full of pig tail cloth waterskins or watermelons. Sheep wearing pigtail cloth capes, iron donkey statues, banana bombs?

Hell, at a signifigant height, anything would do. Any more ideas?

SUB-EDIT:
Ooh, bacterial virus bombs. Biological warfare, good idea.

EDIT:
Further thought. with a bit of chemistry, wouldn't those crap barrels, after a bit of work being done to them, make much more effective bombs? Not to forget, set some proper fuse and piping for the ballistae, and we have frickin' rocket launchers!!!! (and with the space allowed with the ship, you can annihilate cities with this monster. :evil...er grin: )
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 08:25:55 pm by Itnetlolor »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If/when dwarves actually need to use the bathroom you could use the waste to make methane or contaminate the enemies water supply. Talk about fighting dirty. 
Nom nom nom

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

Hey, nice job so far.  Shame about the ambushes.  Those have a tendency to set things back.

I will continue work on the high-res version in a few days; I need to get back into the swing of things as I just got back home today (I was in Europe).  Sorry I didn't mention anything earlier.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Please excuse my lack of response. I have hell to deal with connecting online.

Updating intermittently to stay on. For no reason, I keep losing all connection everytime I try to update. Trying to solve.

Tried everything I could think of, not much luck.

Restarts are required to revive connections. Need help! Excuse my request.

--------------------

Aftermath:
Okay, I think I finally fixed it. After running every spyware/antivirus/antitrojan on my system (that I could think of and etc.), I finally eliminated all that can be spotted; took ages to nab them all. With all that I had, I'm surprised this didn't occur earlier, or that my compy overloaded with viruses to the point of affecting reality. Ironically, I run a weekly scan. :-\

Viruses = very yes, indeed.

Seeing how ridiculously late it is, I'll FINALLY update tomorrow night after whenever possible (grr). But now, I can finally continue, everything's good now. Thank you for your patience. Uh, how are you?

BTW: The ship is beginning to look awesome; even though it's still only framework.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 09:15:26 pm by Itnetlolor »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Final-carping-ly!!!! I got it setup now.

Spoiler: Y3S2: Erector Set (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Excuse my serious delay, previous post explains quite well what happened. Let's not forget, because of it, I didn't get much rest.

EDIT:
Depending on if I get anything done or not, I'll be taking my hiatus on this project next week. So, if I don't update, sorry, if I do, sorry still. I'll be unavailable for a while.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 01:29:23 pm by Itnetlolor »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: The new flagship of the Dwarven Empire: (Megaproject In Progress)
« Reply #141 on: July 27, 2009, 10:22:16 pm »

This iis going to be a great big build, and I foresee people talking about making it a magma, or subterranean boat.
Took me half a moment to catch that.

That gives me an idea. I should probably add a giant drill to the head,  and make sure one of my dwarves are armed to the teeth with explosives. You know, to cave in the tunnel it gets out of. But at the same time, I'll keep weary of a couple young troublemakers thinking of taking over the ship and piercing the heavens with it's drill. Just who the hell do they think I am?

Oh dear. References. wonderful, wonderful references
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Heh, I appreciate the amount of attention this is getting; I just visited right now and noticed this has just hit the 5000 mark (by my experience so far, that's pretty nice) think I should do something as a tribute to it? Sort of like a benchmark thing? Or is it an overplayed trope? 'Cause, I don't really have any ideas right now to celebrate, aside from maybe putting in one more update before my hiatus next week.

For anyone curious, I just need a break from everything for awhile, don't worry, I'll continue after it passes. Plus, who knows? Maybe I'll think up something interesting to do with that glorious glowing rock. ;D

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

For anyone curious, I just need a break from everything for awhile, don't worry, I'll continue after it passes. Plus, who knows? Maybe I'll think up something interesting to do with that glorious glowing rock. ;D
Nuke, nuke, nuke . . .
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Nuke, nuke, nuke . . .
I was thinking, having refined and placed in a proper detonation chamber, fused with the crystals in a unique setup could geometrically improve the explosive mass to guarantee that nothing of even adamantium standards could survive. It could either wipe out the world, or even a ship made of even adamantium. But such a ship would be of precursor standards that would be difficult to find, and even so, just merely having that standing alone could win a war. That is, at least, if you have an obsidian shield with magma orbs keeping it united together around it; or at least, keeping an impenetrable shield to access it together. For protection standards of course.

But then again, obliterating such a thing of beauty would be of the foolish mind of a mere human and several other races banded together out of tyranny. But let's think back to now, and forever. We have no need to worry about silly hunams.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Aha, another Crimson Skies fan. I might have guessed. I'd like to see a new one if MW5 succeeds (and I sure hope they don't go overboard in making it accessible).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

I figure... oh, what the hell!

I have something to celebrate the 5000+ benchmark.

How do you feel about a 3D representation of the WIP so far? No, no 3Dwarf here;
something a tad better (to many various degrees): Visual Fortress: another 3D visualization app

I like it. You can easily tell wood and copper apart (relevant to my project).

Consider this my review of the program as well.

Bridges need to be renderable soon.

EDIT:
I just realized, you can really easily tell where my dwarves have been by looking through this. The dense forest has a massive bald spot on it, dedicated to the megaproject.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 02:17:00 pm by Itnetlolor »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Few questions here.

What do you mean Nuclear? Like that glich to make (I forget the kind of stone) burn for a year by hucking it in a bin and washing it with lava?

Also, its too bad this won't actually fly. If we could actually make flying steam machines I'd have a freaking armada. And I'd have robots that pilot robots that pilot bigger robots that pilot robots that pilot robots the size of a galaxy.

And I'd have funky orange glasses for all my dwarves.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Few questions here.

What do you mean Nuclear? Like that glich to make (I forget the kind of stone) burn for a year by hucking it in a bin and washing it with lava?

Also, its too bad this won't actually fly. If we could actually make flying steam machines I'd have a freaking armada. And I'd have robots that pilot robots that pilot bigger robots that pilot robots that pilot robots the size of a galaxy.

And I'd have funky orange glasses for all my dwarves.
I think it was lignite, if I'm not mistaken. How I remember it, lignite = ignites.

As for nuclear, I'm not sure how we will refine it (the pitchblende), or properly implement it into our ship.

As for flight, I have a handful of ideas on how to illustrate it, but it may prove to be a bit of a challenge, but damn worth it if I can get it to look right. I'm split between using mist tiles to simulate clouds in the sky implying movement, or instead using a shrunken embark location map (stitched together aesthetically appealing, much similar to how the primary world generators look after generating a world) gradually moving the background in sequence with the foreground tiles  to imply movement; also gif-worthy.

As for the journey, well... that should be fun to illustrate overall. Of course the actual experience will be simulated in-game, but the story will be illustrated otherwise. Hell, I might even photoshop everything together making everything rather consistent in form.

There IS another reason I constructed it a little higher than usual. Plus, I'll even setup a base-coat (all primary decks and etc. ala spritesheet style). Hell, why not develop a spritesheet if need be? Just UD it alongside your own quest.

And finally, an unavoidable question I know will be asked. When will I update? Hopefully by the end of this week; if not, then check back by hopefully Monday at the latest. I just needed a bit of a break for a while. Until then, enjoy my comments on other threads while we wait.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Lignite and coal are both flammable, and they'll burn for eternity if... you do something glitchy. Don't remember what.

Also, Pitchblende is radioactive in real life. It's the common name for Uraninite (ore of uranium, whoopee!) and the name Pitchblende was given in 1727 because it was dark as pitch, and it probably had minerals in (because it was so dense) but no-one knew how to get them out.

So in other words, Pitchblende is made up mostly of Uranium in various radioactive states, plus some radium as a result of the decay. Altogether not something that you should be handling without protection.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24