Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24

Author Topic: The New Flagship of the Dwarven Empire: (Re: if you have something to add)  (Read 197751 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Well, I have a surprise in store for everyone when I get my post up.

I didn't see this coming at all.

Spoiler: Y6S1: Turkey Shoot (click to show/hide)

That really sucked.

Spoiler: ACHIEVEMENTS UNLOCKED! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 08:22:27 pm by Itnetlolor »

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile

:o

This seems like the inevitable ending to such a task, if you think about it.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Well, on a bright note, this epidemic ought to make my next updates quicker and simpler.

I'm going for another update tonight, fulfilling the double-post for today, hopefully.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Okay, here's the second update.

Spoiler: Y6S2: Ashes to Ashes (click to show/hide)

Note: the population started at 80, then 78 after the cave swallow, then 1 more loss during the zerg rush, it went from 77 to 23 by the end of the first season of fun; then that to nothing moments before the next season benchmark.

Yeah, the fort crumbled before I could take a screenshot. Sorry.

Oh, I'm still pushing on. I still have Balthier, Belthasar, Lucca, Selphie, Mustadio, and Sir Highwind (The other Cid) on call to take over the project. I run out of them, then I truly give up.

Deceased: (in order of lead)
"Cid" -Oringinal Embarker. Fell to Goblins (Y1S1 - Y4S1)
"Setzer Gabbro" -1st Reclaimer, Fell to tantrum spiral caused by a named Giant Cave Swallow (Y5S1 - Y6S2)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 12:41:41 am by Itnetlolor »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile

Er, how is the ship floating?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Er, how is the ship floating?
Tantrumer broke the bridge for a second time. Fortunately, I already replaced the ships DB previously, and the shmuck farmer on board died aboard the ship in rage. After re-establishing the link once more, the DB got broked again.

I'm just marking it off as a curse upon the ship and the land by the observation of an adventurer. When I said the ship is bathed with the blood of the dwarves who build it, I was not kidding. They're possessing it. It'll fly no matter what now.

Bob assumes it's a Giant Skeletal Zombie Boat. Doesn't want to fight it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 12:57:17 am by Itnetlolor »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile

So you have collapse or whatever it's called disabled?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

So you have collapse or whatever it's called disabled?
Just about.

It's for the future when I actually do get the project done. I want it to genuinely fly.

Think of it like any successions that took place on the high seas; but it the sky.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 05:56:44 pm by Itnetlolor »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
The New Flagship of the Dwarven Empire: (An idea after 20k views: Succession?)
« Reply #248 on: January 23, 2010, 05:59:31 pm »

That statement just gave me an idea.

The New Flagship of the Dwarven Empire: REDUX (A succession fort)

It can be the same location, but a total alternate history of it. A very twisted one while at it.

CONCEPT:
Consider it a fan re-enaction of the Bloodfist project, except there are no plans to go by. It follows standard succession fort rules, but it must take place in the same exact conditions the project started in (which, I fortunately already have the save from frame 1 of. Same original cast/professions, no digging or building has been done yet). The overall goal of the succession fort is to successfully construct an airship flagship worthy of a dwarven empire, one that'll make Armok proud. Kinda like civil war re-enactments, history may be altered a bit one way or another, some dwarves may have watches or cell phnes on them or something, it's been ages since the last re-enactment and historians, as well as citizens from "The Oily Keys", have a fuzzy idea about the history of the almighty Bloodfist. The true symbol of the empire.

MAIN IDEA RULES:
Of course, [CAVE-INS: OFF] will be applied, but any other constructions and mining must remain within the bounds of plausibility.In short, though Cave-ins are off, you cannot break the rules of gravity otherwise. The anti-gravity is for the ship exclusively for when it takes off. Alternatively, you can turn cave-ins back on (provided the ship is supported somehow), and reserve the disablement for when you actually take off.

You know what? Consider that one of my gifts for the 20k mark (sorta was the surprise, but I think this idea is better); I'm going to restart this project, but instead, as a team-effort megaproject in the style of a succession fort. Forget the original plans I'm using however, you come up with something, discuss what to do, what not to do, modify the ship, maim it, whatever. As long as we get something that looks like it can fly in the end, we'll count it as a success.

How's that sound? Fun?

Like I said, in order to give me a bit more time to finish the project before the next release, and to give me time to make time, I'll wait until the 20k view mark before I begin the succession fort. And to add a bit of fun to it, the rules I'll let it go by, at least some prototype rules (also reason for the additional time) are...

SUCCESSION RULES:
-I'm not going to be the one to begin the project redux (also because it's supposed to be someone elses' interpretation), However, I'll take the second slot by default; you know, being the guy that corrects the assumption with what they know better about it. Consider it like a fun idea, and a this is the one guy that takes it really seriously.
-Updates will be seasonal (Follow the Y#S# format of marking)
-If possible, upload a map. I'll provide instructions on how to properly do it how I did. (Maps will be renamed "Bloodfist Redux", to minimize confusion.)
-Control over the project will be decided between full reign until death (but some may be too skilled, so I'll stick to the average 1-year reign)
-Control over the foreman position will change per-player (since the whole foreman idea is a toss up upon re-interpretation; they supposedly worked at the same time, or within the same eras)
-Logging must follow a similar style to what I used with presentation (actors playing the role, so to put it).
-It doesn't need to be a carbon-copy of my project. Go nuts. The story is being re-interpreted eons since the creation of the ship by dwarves with a fantasy idea of what went on.
-Learn from my mistakes wherever possible.
-When working on the ship, skeleton first, then fill it in. The skeleton will allow for messing around and make modifying the project easier/harder for others.
-If you have an idea to add magma cannons, have fun. No bauxite on the map.

I'm open to ideas refining the rules to make it work better (for me, and those who are up to the task).

Alternatively, I can also do a succession of sailing the skies on board the ship as well.

I'm not going to be around for a few days, so don't worry if I don't respond immediately. This is just a toss-up idea.

Change of plans, turns out what I was going to do that would occupy my time will be delayed for the better (both my time on project, and what I was going to do ^_^).

Gonna need a moment to upload. I already gathered a semi-accurate recreation of what happened, to make up for the lack of a map before. Note: it's not entirely accurate. Much less gruesome, and it lived another season with 2 dwarves left that time around.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 10:29:40 pm by Itnetlolor »

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile

Could you upload what you have right now so we can get a better idea of the original, or perhaps try to strike it on our own?

Also, that is a great idea, and what we get in the end (with the ideas of the community floating about) may be less a ship than a floating shape of some sort, with all sorts of crazy devices of death and destruction jutting out from its core.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Okay, here's the map of the ruins as I promised.

Project Ruins

And I tried visiting in Adventure Mode. Holy hell, beyond freaking dangerous. I saw a local goblin get mauled by rat and batmen, dozens of them at the entrance. I took the back door, and I was chased by a human lasher (apparently these guys were from the first embark raid); lasher didn't last long against my mighty hammer; however, once I reached the airship skeleton (with a makeshift bridge actually built this time after the devastation of both, and only 1 fully recovered), I got pushed off by batmen. Retry later, I stood ground, and got surrounded by a couple bat and ratmen. That is damn hostile territory.

From what I can measure, I might have another 70 dwarves come in to recover it once more. 'The Oily Key's' population is dwindling on this project.

Nice to know I remember exactly where these important locations are for adventure mode. The globe itself is pretty damn hostile. You need one heck of an adventurer to even reach the front door of Bloodfist's project site; moreso to actually reach the ship itself.

I can see why Bob the Adventurer didn't want to venture inside. Some other brave (foolish) soul had to recover the smudged map instead. And there it is.

YAY! New page (I'm viewing 50 posts per page here). That's alot of posts. And also 18k views already. Impressive rate. Thanks for the support.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 12:01:10 am by Itnetlolor »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Okay, bad news race-wise. Toady had reached the final segment of the next release, and I still only have a skeleton left for a ship.

Ideas aside from committing time towards the project and nerfing the storytelling will be accepted. The story and map uploads are mandatory for my project updates (which take time on their own as it is).

I'll try to make an update ASAP today, and hopefully another tonight. I already quarantined most of the fort as it is (trees and security-wise), all that's really left is to commit the rest of the teams towards building (meaning, many a carpenter will be assigned, as well as some mech and metalsmiths to get the devices contructed and placed, etc. I will have many dwarves, and I thought the 2nd reclaim party through. THIS TIME it will be finished.)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 04:38:48 pm by Itnetlolor »

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile

In any case, the underground is complete. There's still a lot left to do, and I'll be all over the place fixing this and that, but I shouldn't be adding anything else giant and new that will further slow things down. There are a ton of "test this!" and "do this for this person" notes lying around, and I've got to go through all of that and plan my route to a release.

Relax.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

In any case, the underground is complete. There's still a lot left to do, and I'll be all over the place fixing this and that, but I shouldn't be adding anything else giant and new that will further slow things down. There are a ton of "test this!" and "do this for this person" notes lying around, and I've got to go through all of that and plan my route to a release.

Relax.
I know, I know. I've taken a good look at everything in the area and have thought through the pathfinding and everything else. I'm making sure that all I need to focus on in the future is exclusively collecting wood, and building the ship. I'll need to take a look at the wiki to find out what are the best minerals to get copper (outside of ore), I seem to be short on supply of that at the moment.

Oh, and I'm in the process of making my update. Balthier has taken lead now.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

And here's the update. Give me 5 more minutes, and I should have the landmarks updated. okay, updated landmarks. If possible, I should have the next update ready (though not uploadable) tonight.

Spoiler: Y7S1: Big Damn Heroes (click to show/hide)

Oh, I have decided to upload some visfort pics showing my latest progress on the ship. It's not much unfortunately.

link
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:46:53 pm by Itnetlolor »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24