Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Favourite weapon that isn't a weapon  (Read 4416 times)

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite weapon that isn't a weapon
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2009, 09:30:51 am »

Live Rats
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2009, 02:11:38 am »

I tried to kill a giant in adventurer mode. It took off my skirt and beat me to death with it.

To this day, there is a Legendary giant who gets one-hit kills with an iron chain skirt. The only way to beat her is probably by throwing things, but she hangs out in a really tiny little section of the cave, so she has this habit of breaking both my arms in less than a turn.

Batta

• Bay Watcher
  • Black Wyvern
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2009, 11:50:38 pm »

Handfuls of sand.

The one time I had a successful adventurer, she managed to kill plenty of monsters using only sand.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2009, 06:31:33 pm »

Just recently I had my leg torn off by wolves.
Since my sword was stuck in one that went flying off the cliff I did the only thing that seemed logical at the time.

I picked up my own leg and beat the wolves with it.
It is now my main weapon.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2009, 06:39:25 pm »

Backpacks full of water.

Then there was that time I wandered into a desert and it all froze, rendering my adventurer overburdened and thus unable to defend himself from a giant scorpion.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2009, 07:25:04 pm »

My razor-sharp teeth, capable of biting out people's eyes.

But I normally like using non-improvised weapons for the extra skill.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2009, 10:08:20 pm »

Backpacks full of water.

Then there was that time I wandered into a desert and it all froze, rendering my adventurer overburdened and thus unable to defend himself from a giant scorpion.

That actually sounds like a bug.  Water shouldn't gain mass when it freezes.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 11:20:12 am »

It should decrease in weight because the molecules are spread out or somethingoranother

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2009, 11:21:42 am »

All I know is that my speed was normal when I picked up the backpack of water/ Then later after picking up nothing and noting my backpack was frozen, my speed had fell sharply.

I never sneak in Adventurer mode like the Conan I am.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2009, 11:22:32 am »

It should decrease in weight because the molecules are spread out or somethingoranother
A decrease in density normally doesn't result in spontaneous disappearance of mass.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2009, 11:42:19 am »

Mass doesn't decrease, but weight does. Increasing volume while retaining same mass gives you buoyancy, you know.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2009, 11:52:05 am »

Mass doesn't decrease, but weight does. Increasing volume while retaining same mass gives you buoyancy, you know.

Just because it's spreading out doesn't mean it becomes any less then what it was originally. If I had a glass of water then dumped it on the floor then the water would spread out and form a puddle and splatter everywhere, but it would still be the same amount of water that was in the glass..
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2009, 11:58:42 am »

It is the same amount of water, but it weighs less. To be precise, it's weight decrease equals the weight of air this additional volume displaced.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2009, 12:57:38 pm »

Buoyancy is negligible in air unless your object's volume is largely helium gas or elemental hydrogen gas.

Water spilled all over the floor does not weigh less, it is simply spread out over a greater area.

Take a five pound weight and hold it in your hand.  Then hammer it into a plate and carry it on you back.  It is still five pounds of weight; it merely feels lighter because a greater mass of muscle is being used to support it.  It will still be just as heavy if you try holding it in your hand, and a scale will read out the same weight both before and after.
Just so I remember

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2009, 01:35:10 pm »

Of course spilled water will weigh the same. But ice will weigh less. Yes, it's negligible difference, but I feel obliged to nitpick whenever I see people using weight and mass interchangeably.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5