Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My first video game is released!  (Read 2776 times)

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com
My first video game is released!
« on: June 09, 2009, 11:24:22 am »

Terra Sirenum - Alpha

An intense first person shooter set on mars!

Download it: http://www.terrasirenum.com/terrasirenum2.48a.zip (55MB, windows .exe and .blend files)

Made with Blender.  Runs in Blender 2.48a, or with the windows executable .
*Requires a graphics card that supports GLSL*

Hey guys.  This has been a project of mine for the last 8 months.  Please take it for a spin and let me know what you think.

Known issues:  The background music isn't working.  Also the game may create a save folder in your home directory.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 12:26:19 am by jplur »
I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
Re: My first video game is released!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 06:42:40 pm »

Cool! A game made in blender!

Downloading...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 07:19:37 pm »

WOO! YEAH!
What's it about?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 07:40:04 pm »

Appears to crash after picking up the personal assault rifle.
 Apparently you have a lot of issues with anything with no ammo. Like unable to switch to pistol after running out of assault clips, or crashing the game by picking up the rifle before getting the ammunition.

Seems interesting. Be prepared for a massive lag spike at the beginning, but other than that rather nice.

Difficulty is brutally hard. This may be because the AI is rather accurate compared to how accurate you may be.

Settings screen just shows the current settings on the console. No changes can be done.

The first area with both the guy and the turret after the doors has a door to the next area that is rather... iffy.

Seems to be a slight lag between when you click and when you shoot.

I advise making shots a yellow glow, because a good number of these backgrounds are gray already.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 07:48:44 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 08:04:20 pm »

When I try running the .exe

I see the python25.zip, will it help? I looked inside it, but "My god, it's full of stars .py files."

When I try running it inside of blender, it seems to work, until it gets to where the game would actually start (the front-end menus work fine, except for what Duke already mentioned).

It appears to hang with a black screen, but I noticed the console window spewing error messages (I assume) too fast to read.

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 09:15:35 pm »

thanks so much for the feedback guys!

@Solarshado: If you download http://www.terrasirenum.com/python25.dll and put it in the folder the .exe should work (It should of been there thanks for finding the problem), the other thing could you post the error? (if you hit esc you could read the console)

@Duke: Thought I had fixed weapon swapping/ammo crashes I'll need to rework that.  The difficulty I think you're right, I should take out a couple enemies in the first level and make the final sections the challenge. The other stuff I had knew about and will fix. This is my entry in a forum contest, and will keep working on it now that the deadline is past.

I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 09:32:46 pm »

I assumed the error was related to not finding the .dll

Just DL'd it, about to try the game again...

It works!

Wow... looks pretty good, but it's too hard for me... I could probably do better if it weren't so laggy...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 09:53:11 pm by SolarShado »

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 12:57:37 pm »

Glad it's working.  It seems like the game is running slow for some people, I'll need to try and optimize as much as I can.  It is kind of discouraging that my own computer can run oblivion on medium settings, but I can only get 30-40 fps out of my own game.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 01:55:56 pm »

I didn't see an FPS counter anywhere, but what seemed laggy wasn't so much the game itself as the input. To expand on what Duke said, there's a delay between the controls and the game... mouse most noticably.

Also, it does not play well with other programs... don't even think about alt-tabbing out. That said, I have toyed with Blender's game engine and i know how ackward it can be. I'm not sure if it's even possible to detect if the game has focus...

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 02:59:06 pm »

I didn't see an FPS counter anywhere, but what seemed laggy wasn't so much the game itself as the input. To expand on what Duke said, there's a delay between the controls and the game... mouse most noticably.

Yeah not sure how i can fix that.  When a mousedown event occurs I add the bullet and whatnot, not sure how to speed that up.

Also, it does not play well with other programs... don't even think about alt-tabbing out. That said, I have toyed with Blender's game engine and i know how ackward it can be. I'm not sure if it's even possible to detect if the game has focus...

Ah good point.  Think I can add a pause if alt-tab feature, but like you said -- hard to tell if the user has focus on the game or some other window.

Anyway I really appreciate the testing, I didn't get much feedback from the blenderartist forums.  I'll try to release a stabler demo this weekend.

Edit: Fixed the speed problems, updated the first post
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 12:27:24 am by jplur »

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 01:26:43 am »

input still lags a little, but it's much better. I still suck at it... wish i had my mouse with me... all i've got it my laptop touchpad.

Can the "change keys" settings be used for a joystick/gamepad? I know blender has separate "blocks" for keyboard and controler input, but... ?

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 12:04:28 am »

I don't know much about FPS', but what if you made it so that bullets are ALWAYS shooting, it just doesn't damage or have an animation until a mousedown event.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 02:03:43 am »

Wouldn't that have a negative effect on the FPS? Since instead of having to calculate the position etc. of the bullets when you fire, it would be doing it constantly?
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 04:47:13 pm »

Heh, think you guys are getting 'first person shooter' and 'frames per second' mixed up ;)

And I'm thinking the lag on the fire control might have something to do with the animation/sound clip  having a little dead space in the beginning.

I found a good A* pathfinding implementation for blender. I'm planning on having the soldiers patrol the map.  Also thinking about having some stealth aspects to the game (if you trip an alarm the enemies will start walking to where it was tripped)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 01:31:13 pm »

If you do implement those alarms, you better make it so that tripping alarms can actually be used to your advantage, too.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]
Pages: [1] 2