Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 592603 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile

I'll be excited to see if, indeed, you can. Because it sounds like a hard problem! ;)

Usually games with a roguelike structure eventually get broken down by a motivated enough player who will start to recognize all the distinct elements of the generation. Unexpected things can happen, but often not in a way the developer could have foreseen or accounted for, which doesn't seem ideal for puzzles which should ideally make sense and be solvable.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

I'll be excited to see if, indeed, you can. Because it sounds like a hard problem! ;)

Usually games with a roguelike structure eventually get broken down by a motivated enough player who will start to recognize all the distinct elements of the generation. Unexpected things can happen, but often not in a way the developer could have foreseen or accounted for, which doesn't seem ideal for puzzles which should ideally make sense and be solvable.

You are 100% right about this, Egan! The point about things getting broken down by the motivated player (or a group project like a wiki, and so on) is a really key one. I'm really trying in a number of ways to push this point as far back as possible in the puzzle generation, a lot of which I'll be talking about in future posts...

...and, speaking of which, here's the blog post version of my talk!

https://www.markrjohnsongames.com/2023/10/21/ultima-ratio-regum-0-11-update-10-riddle-generation-1/

While the talk is here, for those who fancy a gander:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDWt6RGN9wM&ab_channel=RoguelikeCelebration

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Out of curiosity, have you played the game "The Case of the Golden Idol" that released this year? I have a feeling that, given the direction of Ultima Ratio Regum, that you would enjoy that game a good deal because it touches on very many similar elements that you're trying here with this game.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wanted to try this game but I read that the complete version is coming out soon? Does anyone know when that would be? Days? Months?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile

I'm not aware of anything like that. URR is a long road from being complete still.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, there are still many things that are on the road map. Recent update does say next version is going to add procedural puzzles that require world travel for completion, so I guess it's going to be first version that actually introduces campaign objective to strive towards.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not aware of anything like that. URR is a long road from being complete still.

Huh, the webpage says:

The latest major releases, 0.9 and 0.10, introduce currencies, procedurally-generated items, trade, and ship-board travel. 1.0 is coming soon - watch this space!

But hey, hearing that is good enough for me to download it :)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Already stuck :(

How do I buy things? Also, any recommendations on what to do first?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Out of curiosity, have you played the game "The Case of the Golden Idol" that released this year? I have a feeling that, given the direction of Ultima Ratio Regum, that you would enjoy that game a good deal because it touches on very many similar elements that you're trying here with this game.

I have not - though it's on my Steam list! I'm definitely going to give it a look at some point.

I wanted to try this game but I read that the complete version is coming out soon? Does anyone know when that would be? Days? Months?

Days or months is optimistic my friend! It's a 12 year project so far but things are coming along nicely :). However...

Already stuck :(

How do I buy things? Also, any recommendations on what to do first?

...right now your key "objectives" are to explore the world, use 'l' or ';' to look at stuff, use 's' to speak with people, and try to fill up the encyclopedia! To get trading you want to head to a trade district in a city, or to a town, and find some shops - 'T' for fast travel will help :).

Yeah, there are still many things that are on the road map. Recent update does say next version is going to add procedural puzzles that require world travel for completion, so I guess it's going to be first version that actually introduces campaign objective to strive towards.

Yes indeed! Hoping even for a win condition in 0.11, but we'll see...!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah yes I am at a shop. I mean when I go to purchase something I press Enter and it highlights it, but I don't see a way to finalize the purchase?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Ah yes I am at a shop. I mean when I go to purchase something I press Enter and it highlights it, but I don't see a way to finalize the purchase?

Got it! You should be able to scroll down and there's an option at the bottom to confirm the purchase?

In the meantime, just uploaded a nice little year-end summary on Reddit :).

https://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikedev/comments/1aepg8p/2024_in_roguelikedev_ultima_ratio_regum/
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221]