Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 203

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 355489 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Second one was a real-time action with a small squad, and very much so part of the MechWarrior series. I remember specifically that there was a pilot named Longshot. Is this enough info?
Sounds like it might be one of the mech commander games.

The last one definitely rings a bell, too, but I can't recall the name :-\

E: That said, check this. List of games published by microsoft.

There was an old game published by Microsoft where Earth has been invaded and has split into factions. One of the factions had huge WW1 style unit. The game was a strategy where you could - and should - jump into the individual vehicles. There were also aliens of several kinds.

I hope this is enough, as it's vague. Thanks in advance :D

Urban Assault, I'm pretty sure.  I dont know if the mod community is still active, but it was pretty long lived:  http://www.metropolisdawn.com/files/

And just like that, all of my questions are answered! Damn you Steam Summer Sale, now I have EVEN more games to play!
Mech Commander is freeware; other two need research.

Thanks again guys, you are the best.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, so I was watching a Bay12er stream some game a while back and it just popped in to my head again and I've been trying to figure out what it was. I only saw about an hour of gameplay and it was a while ago, but here's what I remember. It was an RPG (seemed fairly traditional JRPG style with Final Fantasy style battles, gaining experience for your characters, leveling up, etc) set in a desert (at least the part I was watching was in a desert). The main distinguishing factor that I remember was the dog character that had a gun (possibly a laser cannon?) mounted on its back and the fact the the battles were against tanks and other things that aren't in your typical fantasy JRPG. The game seemed like it could have been Playstation 1-era, but I'm not 100% sure.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Probably one of the metal max games, yes. E:These things.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 01:58:56 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile

Alright, so I was watching a Bay12er stream some game a while back and it just popped in to my head again and I've been trying to figure out what it was. I only saw about an hour of gameplay and it was a while ago, but here's what I remember. It was an RPG (seemed fairly traditional JRPG style with Final Fantasy style battles, gaining experience for your characters, leveling up, etc) set in a desert (at least the part I was watching was in a desert). The main distinguishing factor that I remember was the dog character that had a gun (possibly a laser cannon?) mounted on its back and the fact the the battles were against tanks and other things that aren't in your typical fantasy JRPG. The game seemed like it could have been Playstation 1-era, but I'm not 100% sure.

Sounds like Septerra Core.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

TBS, on a 3d Hex map.  "Missionforce: Cyberstorm" 

Whoops, yeah, TBS, that's what I meant hah.

So, I have one I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

Old game, probably mid 90s, either DOS or Windows 95 I believe.

You fly a space ship. There are these portals that go all over everywhere, and they connect disparate far-away sections of the galaxy, but if you want you can fly out into space and manually go to the faraway bits (it's just further away). It was top down on a 2d plane, fairly colourful... and I don't remember much else about it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Top down 2d in space ship plus somewhat colorful almost makes me want to say flatspace, but I think that's past win 95 era...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile

Strange Adventures in Infinite Space?  I've never played it so I'm not certain.  Possibly a Master of Orion?

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Probably one of the metal max games, yes. E:These things.
This was it. Turns out it was Metal Saga. Thanks!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Free controls so you could fly around and actually control yourself - so definitely nor Master of Orion or SAIS. 2d graphics as well as being on a flat plain.

I think you played as an earthling in a galaxy where seeing earthlings out and about was uncommon, and you meet an alien ship right away (but I may be confusing this particular part with a different game)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 03:44:47 pm by GlyphGryph »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile

This sounds like Ur-Quan Masters to me, GlyphGryph, unless there was something very similar to it o.o
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In style, it was quite similar, except there were no solar systems (just "clusers" of planets you could fly between, which didn't really orbit anything as far as I can remember) and portals (jump points? Probably something like that) that could take you off to similar clusters.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could it just be Star Control 1?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nah, nothing like that. Start control 1 didn't let you drive ships anyway.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In style, it was quite similar, except there were no solar systems (just "clusers" of planets you could fly between, which didn't really orbit anything as far as I can remember) and portals (jump points? Probably something like that) that could take you off to similar clusters.

Escape Velocity? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_Velocity_(video_game)

More specifically that sounds like Escape Velocity: Nova.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

sound very much like one of the starcontrol games to me.  Dont forget that SC2 and Urquan Masters were different games (UM was a remake) and there was a SC3 also.

Hmmm... if not SC, how about the Escape Velocity games?

Since you mentioned SAIS, I expect it isnt WW:RtIS either.

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 203