Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 203

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 356075 times)

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #1410 on: September 05, 2013, 10:52:18 pm »

I've got one.
It was a PC RTS that I played around 2004-2005, though I'm fairly sure it was much earlier than that, judging by the graphics I'd place it around the same era as Total Annihilation (Which oddly enough I played at the exact same time period). It was a fantasy world, the story of which escapes me unfortunately. There were four playable factions, I think. There was one which had musketeers as a unit, another which rather than constructing buildings had summoner units to bring in new units, and a standard undead faction. I'm guessing the fourth was your standard medieval fantasy group, I'm not too sure.
Each faction had their own hero, the only one of which I remember was the pale old dude from the undead one. AS well as this each faction also had their own dragon they could construct/summon/whatever which was basically a late-game nuke unit.
I think that the resource used for all this was some kind of mana or something like that, and was measured in a blue orb remeniscent of the mana/health orbs used in Diablo.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: September 05, 2013, 10:56:56 pm »

I've got one.
It was a PC RTS that I played around 2004-2005, though I'm fairly sure it was much earlier than that, judging by the graphics I'd place it around the same era as Total Annihilation (Which oddly enough I played at the exact same time period). It was a fantasy world, the story of which escapes me unfortunately. There were four playable factions, I think. There was one which had musketeers as a unit, another which rather than constructing buildings had summoner units to bring in new units, and a standard undead faction. I'm guessing the fourth was your standard medieval fantasy group, I'm not too sure.
Each faction had their own hero, the only one of which I remember was the pale old dude from the undead one. AS well as this each faction also had their own dragon they could construct/summon/whatever which was basically a late-game nuke unit.
I think that the resource used for all this was some kind of mana or something like that, and was measured in a blue orb remeniscent of the mana/health orbs used in Diablo.
Warlords Battlecry? Not sure about the rest, but the dragon being a "nuke unit" stands out. There were several games in the series, the latest, Warlords Battlecry III, falling into the 2004-2005 timeline.

Failing that, it might be Total Annihilation Kingdoms.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:59:25 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: September 05, 2013, 11:10:41 pm »

It sounds like Populous, except for the "Merging units into more powerful versions" part.
no, you totally could.  you merged the little people into knights i think -- or you could place a magnet to make them all gather onto your leader and make him more powerful.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: September 05, 2013, 11:34:09 pm »

It sounds like Populous, except for the "Merging units into more powerful versions" part.
no, you totally could.  you merged the little people into knights i think -- or you could place a magnet to make them all gather onto your leader and make him more powerful.

Ah, I haven't played Populous 1 or 2, only the third one which has no merging.

@Kolnukbyne: It's Total Annihilation: Kingdoms. Veruna had the musketeers, Zhon built units instead of buildings, Taris was undead/demons and Aramon was standard knights with cannons. There's an expansion for it called "Iron Plague" which adds a steam punk style faction called the Creon which have steamtanks, mechanical dragons, bomb sprinklers and other crazy stuff.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: September 06, 2013, 12:49:52 am »

I've got one.
Warlords Battlecry? Not sure about the rest, but the dragon being a "nuke unit" stands out. There were several games in the series, the latest, Warlords Battlecry III, falling into the 2004-2005 timeline.

Failing that, it might be Total Annihilation Kingdoms.

Yeah... yeah it was Total Annihilation Kingdoms, I believe. Who'da thunk it?

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: September 06, 2013, 08:01:50 am »

There was this RTS game for the PC in which playing around with the battlefield (literally, you could make mountains, valleys and flats) played a major part. The story is kinda confusing, but you get more advanced units by merging existing units into more powerful versions.

Check if it's one of these.
Nope. The game sounds very much like Perimeter. And maybe Maelstrom. Be aware that there are at least two games named Maelstrom. One is an Asteroids clone with better graphics, and the other is the RTS.

Maelstrom is technically the sequel, but both games feature terraforming heavily, and both, IIRC, feature the combining nano-units.
yes, Perimeter.

although i had been looking for Populous as well. But i woild not call Populous an RTS, more like a god game.

still, i thank you all for your answers.

Reyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: September 08, 2013, 10:19:18 am »

Roguelike-like game currently in the makings(funded via kickstarter I believe), where you control a party of spies.

The objective is to get to the exit of a randomly generated level, where you encounter  computers to hack(from which you gain some resource which recharges on each turn), cameras(hackable, to work for you), guardsmen, safes(which need the resource you're gathering to be cracked open). You have 20 turns before the alarm goes off(alarm level raises 1 per turn) and tougher guards show up, with every goof on your side increasing the alarm by 1 level.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: September 09, 2013, 01:09:43 pm »

Roguelike-like game currently in the makings(funded via kickstarter I believe), where you control a party of spies.

The objective is to get to the exit of a randomly generated level, where you encounter  computers to hack(from which you gain some resource which recharges on each turn), cameras(hackable, to work for you), guardsmen, safes(which need the resource you're gathering to be cracked open). You have 20 turns before the alarm goes off(alarm level raises 1 per turn) and tougher guards show up, with every goof on your side increasing the alarm by 1 level.

Monaco?

Reyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: September 09, 2013, 02:16:57 pm »

Monaco?

It's turn based and it also has isometric view(If memory serves correct). So..no, not Monaco.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: September 09, 2013, 02:47:07 pm »

Googling "turn-based spy game" gives this.
http://www.incognitagame.com/
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Reyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: September 09, 2013, 04:59:56 pm »

Googling "turn-based spy game" gives this.
http://www.incognitagame.com/

I feel really stupid now, because my brain only managed to come up with "spy roguelike". Thank you very much!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: September 10, 2013, 10:48:00 am »

I forget this constantly, but there was a demo I played years ago with a main player character dressed in a black exoskeleton or something. I think he had a gun arm if I remember correctly... and there was a dog. You had to shoot robots and I remember in the training level at the start I had to use a mortar or something to kill one of the robots (or were they aliens?) behind glass.

You could also eat barrels full of bananas, but they had two eyeholes in them and they used to run around with monkey legs.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: September 10, 2013, 10:56:05 am »

I forget this constantly, but there was a demo I played years ago with a main player character dressed in a black exoskeleton or something. I think he had a gun arm if I remember correctly... and there was a dog. You had to shoot robots and I remember in the training level at the start I had to use a mortar or something to kill one of the robots (or were they aliens?) behind glass.

You could also eat barrels full of bananas, but they had two eyeholes in them and they used to run around with monkey legs.

Mmm.... M.D.K?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: September 10, 2013, 04:24:45 pm »

That's it. M.D.K. Thank you.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: September 10, 2013, 05:14:10 pm »

Okay, maybe some of the old folks can help me out here.

ASCII game.  I remember having the game on a 5.25 floppy, although it wasn't the original disk as it had a number of other games that I got from my uncle.  So I would have been playing this in the mid-ish 80s.

Seemed like it possibly would have been an adventure-like game, as you always started in the same room with the same description.  I remember I could never get very far, because as soon as I'd wandered out past the few starting rooms in any direction and encountered something else living, it would run over to me and kill me and I didn't know how to fight. 

I think I remember being able to find a chalice very near the start, and there may have been a fountain and a kitchen nearby as well.  I'm guessing the game took place in a castle?  I *think* it might have displayed what objects/npcs were in the room on the side of the screen in some format like "a - an ant" or similar. 

It wasn't turn based, as when I entered a room with an npc, it would run over to me rather quickly and kill me.

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 203